    versions of the Canon 300D/Digital Rebel are available that make it
    even _better_ suited in the astro realm.

    , Dec 14, 2003

  2. Rob Davison Guest

    wrote:
    > My recent, basically trivial, experiments with the Moon as a subject
    > convinced me there is merit with the idea. So I tried a few star
    > shots -- 10-30 seconds is about the most I could do with a fixed
    > mount. M45 came out surprisingly good (9th magnitude+ stars showing
    > up), as did the double cluster in Perseus. But could a lowly, Bayer'd
    > CMOS sensor compete with colour-filtered, full-on, cooled CCD etc
    > imagery?
    >
    > http://www.starrywonders.com/dso.html

    Absolutely beautiful!

    Thank you for sharing your work.

    > There are also reports in the Japanese astro-press about modified
    > versions of the Canon 300D/Digital Rebel are available that make it
    > even _better_ suited in the astro realm.

    What sort of modifications?

    Rob Davison, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Angel Guest

    How on earth (pun not intended) are these shots taken? Is the 10D a normal
    'digital camera' or has it been linked up somehow to a telescope? These are
    superb shots, but I can't see this stuff being possible unless you spend a
    few bob on some really decent kit

    Angel, Dec 14, 2003
  4. PhotoMan Guest

    One word: STUNNING !
    Joe Arnold

    PhotoMan, Dec 14, 2003
  5. JC Guest

    Looks like he used a 90 mm telescope. Really nice photos!

    JC, Dec 15, 2003
  6. According to JC <>:
    > Looks like he used a 90 mm telescope. Really nice photos!

    Not quite ... it's an LX90, which is a yummy-looking 8" scope.

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net

    Ethan Trewhitt, Dec 15, 2003
  7. Ethan Trewhitt wrote:

    > According to JC <>:
    > > Looks like he used a 90 mm telescope. Really nice photos!

    > Not quite ... it's an LX90, which is a yummy-looking 8" scope.

    The post was deceptive. If you click on M45 and see the details,
    it was with a 90 mm f/4.5 (405 mm focal length) telescope, and
    12 exposures of 5 minutes each, for a total of 60 minutes
    at iso 800, not the 10 to 30 seconds cited by the poster.

    To do this, you needs a very good tracking mount and second
    telescope to correct for drifts. He apparently used an
    8-inch telescope with an approximately $2000 guiding
    camera+computer. This is no easy thing to do and
    the guy does absolutely stunning work. Images were processed
    in 16-bit with a software package called imagesplus.
    There is a lot of investment here, both dollars, time, and
    skill, NOT 10-30 seconds on a fixed mount.
    The email address of this site of Steve Cannistra is different
    than the poster, so it may not be the same person.

    wrote:
    > My recent, basically trivial, experiments with the Moon as a subject
    > convinced me there is merit with the idea. So I tried a few star
    > shots -- 10-30 seconds is about the most I could do with a fixed
    > mount. M45 came out surprisingly good (9th magnitude+ stars showing
    > up), as did the double cluster in Perseus. But could a lowly, Bayer'd
    > CMOS sensor compete with colour-filtered, full-on, cooled CCD etc
    > imagery?

    > http://www.starrywonders.com/dso.html

    Here are my attempts at astro with the 10D, D60 and film (not
    as good as steve's, but I'm still learning):

    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.astrophoto-1

    The Canon 10D does very well at low light imaging, better than
    equivalent speed film for high speed film in comparison. Here are my
    tests on optimizing signal to noise (assuming you co-add multiple
    images to produce a given total exposure time):

    http://clarkvision.com/astro/canon-10d-signal-to-noise

    Roger Clark
    Home page photography, digital info:
    http://clarkvision.com

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 15, 2003
  8. Guest

    Rob Davison <> wrote:

    > Thank you for sharing your work.

    Yikes! I thought my lead-in made it clear ("fixed mount", "10-30
    seconds", etc), but that isn't my work...

    , Dec 15, 2003
  9. Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <>
    wrote:

    > The post was deceptive.

    Certainly not by intent ... I didn't think anyone could believe there
    was any "10-30 second" component to any of those images, let alone a
    "fixed mount". Further, I thought it clear those images were not the
    "trivial experiments" I conducted. In any event, my most profound
    apologies for any confusion!

    > The email address of this site of Steve Cannistra is different
    > than the poster, so it may not be the same person.

    If only I could claim I was Steve Cannistra...

    > To do this, you needs a very good tracking mount and second
    > telescope to correct for drifts.

    Even relatively cheap mounts given a good alignment can self-guide for
    the short exposures (5 minutes), no high-end precision mounts and CCD
    autoguiders required (though they certainly don't hurt). (Those
    guiders, by the way, being originally created for astro work going
    onto film -- where hours of continual exposure are needed for deep
    work). The rest of the job -- image registration, accumulation, etc
    -- can be done in the computer.

    > http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.astrophoto-1

    Cannistra's, and now your, website have forced my hand: Orders have
    been Placed.

    > http://clarkvision.com/astro/canon-10d-signal-to-noise

    Extremely useful data. Many thanks!

    , Dec 15, 2003
  10. Rob Davison Guest

    wrote:

    > Rob Davison <> wrote:
    >

    >>Thank you for sharing your work.

    > Yikes! I thought my lead-in made it clear ("fixed mount", "10-30
    > seconds", etc), but that isn't my work...

    Gah. I'll google 'reading comprehension 101'

    :)

    Rob Davison, Dec 15, 2003