    topic, I'd have a head start.

    Al Schmidt

    , Jul 15, 2003

  2. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a 540EZ. I
    > know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will there be any

    use
    > manual, semi,...with the 10D?
    >
    > I will experiment, but thought if some one else has already coverd this
    > topic, I'd have a head start.
    >
    > Al Schmidt

    Manual ONLY - zoom and power levels. There will be no auto-anything with
    the 10D and an EZ flash.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 15, 2003

  3. Robertwgross Guest

    Al wrote:
    >My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a 540EZ. I
    >know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will there be any use
    >manual, semi,...with the 10D?
    >
    >I will experiment, but thought if some one else has already coverd this
    >topic, I'd have a head start.

    That line of EOS digital cameras must have a flash with the EX suffix. The
    earlier line of EOS film cameras would use flashes with EZ. There is a big
    difference between the flash modes of film versus digital cameras, so the only
    way that you shoot is to use the 540EZ and the camera in manual mode, or switch
    to the 550EX or 420EX and shoot E-TTL like is intended.

    A film camera can have a detector that sees the light bouncing off the film
    after the mirror has flipped up. However, a digital camera has no film, so it
    can't use the same methods.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Michael Quack, Jul 18, 2003
  5. Canon EZ and EX flashes was: canon 10D and 540EZ flash

    Michael Quack <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > says...

    >> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a
    >> 540EZ. I know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will
    >> there be any use manual, semi,...with the 10D?

    > In short: nope.

    So if you have a mix of older, say EOS-1, 100, 500, and newer
    10D and 1V, you can not use you flashes across bodies?

    Does Canon document this anywhere?

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    Paul Repacholi, Jul 19, 2003
  6. dslr Guest

    Re: Canon EZ and EX flashes was: canon 10D and 540EZ flash

    Paul Repacholi wrote:

    > Michael Quack <> writes:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a
    > >> 540EZ. I know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will
    > >> there be any use manual, semi,...with the 10D?

    > > In short: nope.

    in short: yep, manual only - provided you can set the flash manually
    that is.

    > So if you have a mix of older, say EOS-1, 100, 500, and newer
    > 10D and 1V, you can not use you flashes across bodies?

    As above.

    > Does Canon document this anywhere?

    Yes, in the specs for the digitals I believe they do say they only have
    E-TTL flash metering.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Jul 20, 2003
  7. Mark B. Guest

    "Paul Repacholi" <> wrote in message
    > Michael Quack <> writes:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a
    > >> 540EZ. I know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will
    > >> there be any use manual, semi,...with the 10D?

    > > In short: nope.

    > So if you have a mix of older, say EOS-1, 100, 500, and newer
    > 10D and 1V, you can not use you flashes across bodies?
    >
    > Does Canon document this anywhere?

    Yes, in the manual.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 20, 2003
  8. Re: Canon EZ and EX flashes was: canon 10D and 540EZ flash

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:24:05 +0800, Paul Repacholi wrote:

    > Michael Quack <> writes:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >>> My Canon 10D is due here tomorrow. From a previous life I have a
    >>> 540EZ. I know the 10D is "not compatable", but my question is, will
    >>> there be any use manual, semi,...with the 10D?

    >> In short: nope.

    > So if you have a mix of older, say EOS-1, 100, 500, and newer 10D and
    > 1V, you can not use you flashes across bodies?

    With 550EX (and probably the other EX models also, but 550EX is the only
    one I've used) the situation is a bit better, you can use TTL mode for old
    cameras (type B). But thet's not good news if you already have an EZ.

    /Kjell

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Kjell_H=F6gstr=F6m?=, Jul 20, 2003