  1. Does the newer SD550 model offer any significant improvements other than the
    larger LCD screen?

    Doc
    John H. Holliday, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Re: Canon SD500 vs. SD550

    John H. Holliday, Oct 8, 2005

  3. Re: Canon SD500 vs. SD550

    "John H. Holliday" <nospam@okcorral> wrote in message

    Does the newer SD550 model offer any significant improvements other than a
    larger LCD screen?

    Doc
    John H. Holliday, Oct 8, 2005
  4. John H. Holliday

    Mark² Guest

    Re: Canon SD500 vs. SD550

    John H. Holliday wrote:
    > "John H. Holliday" <nospam@okcorral> wrote in message
    >
    > Does the newer SD550 model offer any significant improvements other
    > than a larger LCD screen?

    I looked carefully through the specs when they announced the line of x50
    upgrades to the 300-500 SD series, but I couldn't find anything changed
    other than the screen size. The processor and specs on the series are
    already impressive. I think they're just responding to competitor's flashy
    big-screen pocket cams released recently. I continue to be amazed at
    Canon's ability to nearly instantly respond to the market in ways such as
    this... People like big screens from Sony, etc? Boom! OK, here ya go. :)

    We were about to pick up an SD400 for pocket-sized camera convenience... I
    just wonder how much effect the huge screen with have on camera's tiny
    battery.
    Mark², Oct 8, 2005
  5. John H. Holliday

    Rina Guest

    From Canon's web site: http://tinyurl.com/b48x7

    " The PowerShot SD550 and SD450 Digital ELPH cameras have essentially the
    same body sizes and specifications as the PowerShot SD500 and SD400 Digital
    ELPHs, but offer consumers a wider range of options ... Additional features
    on the new SD550 and SD450 Digital ELPH models include 3.0x optical zoom
    lenses, four new scene modes (Foliage, Snow, Beach and Fireworks),
    compositional grid lines, 30 fps VGA/60 fps QVGA movie recording with sound,
    movie playback at varying speeds, slide show transition effects, menu
    shortcuts and many more."

    Rina

    Rina, Oct 9, 2005
  6. John H. Holliday

    Dave W Guest

    Re: Canon SD500 vs. SD550

    > John H. Holliday wrote:
    >> "John H. Holliday" <nospam@okcorral> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Does the newer SD550 model offer any significant improvements other
    >> than a larger LCD screen?

    > I looked carefully through the specs when they announced the line of x50
    > upgrades to the 300-500 SD series, but I couldn't find anything changed
    > other than the screen size. The processor and specs on the series are
    > already impressive. I think they're just responding to competitor's
    > flashy big-screen pocket cams released recently. I continue to be amazed
    > at Canon's ability to nearly instantly respond to the market in ways such
    > as this... People like big screens from Sony, etc? Boom! OK, here ya
    > go. :)
    >
    > We were about to pick up an SD400 for pocket-sized camera convenience...
    > I just wonder how much effect the huge screen with have on camera's tiny
    > battery.

    As an owner of the SD500 (ixus 700) I wondered why an upgrade so quickly. I
    cannot download the camera images other than the first 15 MB or so, and I
    wondered if this was relevant. My workaround is a card reader, but I'm still
    disgruntled. However, camera is otherwise brilliant, pin sharp, particularly
    macro. My son uses it more than I do, his Olympus C60 camedia ignored.

    Dave W.
    Dave W, Oct 11, 2005
  7. John H. Holliday

    MB Guest

    Re: Canon SD500 vs. SD550

    I too have the Canon SD500 (Ixus 700). After a recent 10-day vacation trip
    I downloaded all 174 images, 559 MB, at once via USB. No problem. When I
    got the camera a couple of months ago I ignored Canon's multi-repeated
    warning not to use the camera until I'd installed the accompanying software.
    I installed none of the SW.

    I start my PC and attach the camera to the USB cable, always connected to my
    PC; I turn on the camera. After I click on "Canon Ixus" in "My Computer,"
    the images appear in Windows. Copy and paste to my Canon Downloads folder.
    Turn off camera. Neat and easy.
    MB, Oct 12, 2005
  8. John H. Holliday

    Dave W Guest

    Re: Canon SD500 vs. SD550

    "MB" <> wrote in message
    >I too have the Canon SD500 (Ixus 700). After a recent 10-day vacation trip
    >I downloaded all 174 images, 559 MB, at once via USB. No problem. When I
    >got the camera a couple of months ago I ignored Canon's multi-repeated
    >warning not to use the camera until I'd installed the accompanying
    >software. I installed none of the SW.
    >
    > I start my PC and attach the camera to the USB cable, always connected to
    > my PC; I turn on the camera. After I click on "Canon Ixus" in "My
    > Computer," the images appear in Windows. Copy and paste to my Canon
    > Downloads folder. Turn off camera. Neat and easy.

    Looks like it's only mine then. Still pissed about the reaction (lack of)
    from Amazon and Canon though. I've tried with and without Canon's software.
    No problem with the card(s) in the Belkin multi-reader though. No big deal I
    suppose, the camera is amazing otherwise.

    Dave W.
    Dave W, Oct 12, 2005