Cannot view home network in "available wireless networks"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by lkthompson, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. lkthompson

    lkthompson Guest

    I have Windows XP on a Dell laptop, which was working perfectly through our
    home wireless network...until the Internet connection just stopped working
    one day! (it had been fine previously, and no changes have been made to the
    laptop or desktop PC, which is connected directly to a linksys router). Our
    desktop is still connected to the Internet w/o problems, and my laptop is
    connected locally, but there is a red X through the wireless network icon on
    the taskbar, and I can't access the Internet.

    In Network Connection settings, it says "Network cable unplugged" for the
    wireless network. But nothing is physically unplugged! I restarted my laptop
    several times, tried unplugging it and letting the battery run down to see if
    that would help when I restarted...well, it didn't. Resetting the router
    didn't work either.

    I went to ipconfig /release to reset the IP but got the error message "Media
    disconnected." My network card is built-in to the laptop and its light is
    always on. When I go to View Available Wireless Networks, I can see my
    neighbors' networks. I connected to one of their unsecure networks without a
    problem. However, our home network doesn't even show up in the list of
    Available wireless networks. It still shows in the list of Preferred
    Networks, but there is a red X through it. I tried removing it and adding it
    again, using the same settings (Open/WEP/network key/obtain IP
    automatically,etc). Also, windows (not linksys) manages our wireless
    connections. I am quite frustrated and have looked all over the Internet to
    find answers but none of the suggestions have worked so far. Oh, and the
    Windows firewall is turned off because I use Norton. I turned off Norton's
    just to see if it would work, but nothing changed.

    Any thoughts? THANKS!
    lkthompson, Feb 25, 2008

  2. Have you reset the wireless router or AP? Or this post may help.

    wireless connection receives Network cable unplugged
    http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Feb 25, 2008

  3. lkthompson

    lkthompson Guest

    Resetting doesn't work, already tried that...

    lkthompson, Feb 25, 2008
  4. lkthompson

    smlunatick Guest

    On Feb 25, 9:46 am, lkthompson <>
    wrote:
    > I have Windows XP on a Dell laptop, which was working perfectly through our
    > home wireless network...until the Internet connection just stopped working
    > one day! (it had been fine previously, and no changes have been made to the
    > laptop or desktop PC, which is connected directly to a linksys router). Our
    > desktop is still connected to the Internet w/o problems, and my laptop is
    > connected locally, but there is a red X through the wireless network icon on
    > the taskbar, and I can't access the Internet.
    >
    > In Network Connection settings, it says "Network cable unplugged" for the
    > wireless network. But nothing is physically unplugged! I restarted my laptop
    > several times, tried unplugging it and letting the battery run down to see if
    > that would help when I restarted...well, it didn't. Resetting the router
    > didn't work either.
    >
    > I went to ipconfig /release to reset the IP but got the error message "Media
    > disconnected."  My network card is built-in to the laptop and its light is
    > always on. When I go to View Available Wireless Networks, I can see my
    > neighbors' networks. I connected to one of their unsecure networks without a
    > problem. However, our home network doesn't even show up in the list of
    > Available wireless networks. It still shows in the list of Preferred
    > Networks, but there is a red X through it. I tried removing it and adding it
    > again, using the same settings (Open/WEP/network key/obtain IP
    > automatically,etc). Also, windows (not linksys) manages our wireless
    > connections. I am quite frustrated and have looked all over the Internet to
    > find answers but none of the suggestions have worked so far. Oh, and the
    > Windows firewall is turned off because I use Norton. I turned off Norton's
    > just to see if it would work, but nothing changed.
    >
    > Any thoughts? THANKS!

    How is the wireless "adapter" connected to this laptop? This was my
    exact problem with my wireless adapter(s) last year. Mine are all USB
    based wireless adapter and my UBS 2.0 ort were based in ALi chips.
    Once I replaced the ALi chip USB 2.0 ports with a NEC base ports
    adapter, my problems disappeared.
    smlunatick, Feb 26, 2008
  5. lkthompson

    naett

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    resetting may be the problem

    I had this problem with my laptop. It drove me crazy for a few days until I figured it out. My router is a Linksys WCG200, and all my computers run Windows XP.

    the background:
    I was watching a movie online (so laptop on, using the internet, no change in activity for several minutes) when my internet suddenly went out. I waited a few minutes, repaired the connection.. Neither worked so I eventually reset my router by pressing the reset button. After that, while my desktop and voip phone - both connected by ethernet to the router - were working fine, my laptop would not see my home network. It would see all kinds of other networks, but not mine. There's more than one laptop in my house, so I was able to check it on multiple computers, and none of the laptops would pick up the network. After crawling forums, I figured my best option before tossing the thing was to change the channel the wireless was submitting on, because I'd read that might help.

    My network had all the regular security, encryption, passwords, etc. I used the desktop to go to the router configurations, but no matter how many times I checked my password, I couldn't access the page. Eventually I tried the default password, and voila, I was in. By resetting the router, I had gone back to all the default settings, including the 'linksys' network name (as opposed to the name I'd given my network). So my laptop was seeing the network, but I didn't recognize it because it was in unsecured generic form. I've since restored it to the way it was, and put duct tape over the reset button, in case I forget.

    If this has happened to you (including the reset part), I'd suggest using an ethernet cable to connect to your router, and checking the configurations to see if you accidentally erased your network settings.
    naett, Sep 21, 2008