Cannot view/copy D:\WINDOWS with Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ozmodiar, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Ozmodiar

    Ozmodiar Guest

    both C:\ and D:\ have Windows ME on them.

    D:\ is my old C:\ and i can no longer boot from it. i switched it to D: so
    i could retrieve files and move them to another disc (then another
    computer). i have already used Explorer to copy most of the files i need to
    get from D:\.

    but i must copy D:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\... and some other
    D:\Windows data over to the C: drive.

    in DOS i can see all the D:\Windows\ folders and files that need to be
    copied - but i cannot view/copy them in Windows Explorer - so i don't know
    how i can copy them over. i already ticked off the view options to show all
    hidden files, folders &c.

    will Explorer refuse to show a \Windows folder that isn't on C:\ or am i
    missing something?

    is there a way i can do this in DOS? if so, please dumb it down for me.

    TIA
    Ozmodiar, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Ozmodiar

    Tony Guest

    "Ozmodiar" <> wrote in message
    > both C:\ and D:\ have Windows ME on them.
    >
    > D:\ is my old C:\ and i can no longer boot from it. i switched it to D:
    > so i could retrieve files and move them to another disc (then another
    > computer). i have already used Explorer to copy most of the files i need
    > to get from D:\.
    >
    > but i must copy D:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\... and some other
    > D:\Windows data over to the C: drive.
    >
    > in DOS i can see all the D:\Windows\ folders and files that need to be
    > copied - but i cannot view/copy them in Windows Explorer - so i don't know
    > how i can copy them over. i already ticked off the view options to show
    > all hidden files, folders &c.
    >
    > will Explorer refuse to show a \Windows folder that isn't on C:\ or am i
    > missing something?
    >
    > is there a way i can do this in DOS? if so, please dumb it down for me.
    >

    > TIA

    Copy command in DOS is made up of three parts: Command - name of files -
    destination e.g.

    C:\> copy d:\windows\files c:\windows\files
    Tony, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Ozmodiar

    Ozmodiar Guest

    >> will Explorer refuse to show a \Windows folder that isn't on C:\ or am i
    >> missing something?
    >>
    >> is there a way i can do this in DOS? if so, please dumb it down for me.
    >>

    > Copy command in DOS is made up of three parts: Command - name of files -
    > destination e.g.
    >
    > C:\> copy d:\windows\files c:\windows\files

    thanks, but there are many subfolders and files that i cannot list (and they
    have long names). how can i use a wildcard or option? what do i put where
    you have "files"?
    Ozmodiar, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Ozmodiar

    Tony Guest

    "Ozmodiar" <> wrote in message

    >>> will Explorer refuse to show a \Windows folder that isn't on C:\ or am i
    >>> missing something?
    >>>
    >>> is there a way i can do this in DOS? if so, please dumb it down for me.
    >>>

    >> Copy command in DOS is made up of three parts: Command - name of files -
    >> destination e.g.
    >>
    >> C:\> copy d:\windows\files c:\windows\files

    > thanks, but there are many subfolders and files that i cannot list (and
    > they have long names). how can i use a wildcard or option? what do i put
    > where you have "files"?

    Wild card is an asterisk e.g.

    C:\> copy d:\windows\* c:\windows\files - will copy everything in
    d:\windows to c:\windows\files
    Tony, Jan 17, 2006
  5. Ozmodiar

    Ozmodiar Guest

    > C:\> copy d:\windows\* c:\windows\files - will copy everything in
    > d:\windows to c:\windows\files

    i did this, but it only brought over the files in the windows folder and
    none of the many subfolders and files in them. i would like to get
    everything down the path of d:\windows\....... to come over with subfolders
    intact.

    thanks.
    Ozmodiar, Jan 17, 2006
  6. Howdy!

    "Ozmodiar" <> wrote in message

    > > C:\> copy d:\windows\* c:\windows\files - will copy everything in
    > > d:\windows to c:\windows\files

    > i did this, but it only brought over the files in the windows folder and
    > none of the many subfolders and files in them. i would like to get
    > everything down the path of d:\windows\....... to come over with

    subfolders
    > intact.

    Try a different command ...

    XCOPY D:\WINDOWS\*.* C:\OLD_WIN /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y/S/F

    Or go to XXCOPY.COM and download XXCOPY , the Extended XCopy
    program. It's what I use personally - damn good program.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 17, 2006
  7. Ozmodiar

    Ozmodiar Guest

    >> > C:\> copy d:\windows\* c:\windows\files - will copy everything in
    >> > d:\windows to c:\windows\files

    >> i did this, but it only brought over the files in the windows folder and
    >> none of the many subfolders and files in them. i would like to get
    >> everything down the path of d:\windows\....... to come over with

    > subfolders
    >> intact.

    > Try a different command ...
    >
    > XCOPY D:\WINDOWS\*.* C:\OLD_WIN /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y/S/F

    i did this and it's looking good so far (still running).
    i saw some access errors scroll by, but it looks like i'm copying the
    essential data that i could not get at with Windows Explorer.

    big thanks!
    Ozmodiar, Jan 17, 2006