Cannot Uninstall 56k Modem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by kriskirk@hotmail.com, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I can't believe I'm having so much trouble installing a $17 56k modem
    but...

    I bought a Web Excel 56k modem the other day, because I want to be able
    to send faxes from my PC. Everything seemed to install okay, except the
    fax software didn't seem to work very well - most of the time when I
    printed to the fax printer it wouldn't start the fax software and I
    would need to reboot the PC to try again.

    So, I uninstalled the software (Supervoice) and exchanged the modem for
    a different brand, a Pragmatic one for about the same price.

    I plugged in the new modem, but XP is not detecting it at all. When I
    try running the setup program for the modem, it starts up but then
    closes immediately.

    The driver for the other modem is still installed so I thought it might
    be conflicting with the new one, so I tried to remove the modem from
    Control Panel. However, every time I try deleting the modem, it reboots
    my PC! The same happens when I run the HXFSetup.exe program from the
    C:\Program
    Files\CONEXANT\CNXT_MODEM_PCI_VEN_14F1&DEV_2F00&SUBSYS_200414F1 folder.

    So I can't remove the old modem, and XP is not detecting my new modem!

    Help! Anyone got an ideas?

    , Jan 3, 2006

  2. smf Guest

    wrote:
    > I can't believe I'm having so much trouble installing a $17 56k modem
    > but...
    >
    > I bought a Web Excel 56k modem the other day, because I want to be able
    > to send faxes from my PC. Everything seemed to install okay, except the
    > fax software didn't seem to work very well - most of the time when I
    > printed to the fax printer it wouldn't start the fax software and I
    > would need to reboot the PC to try again.
    >
    > So, I uninstalled the software (Supervoice) and exchanged the modem for
    > a different brand, a Pragmatic one for about the same price.
    >
    > I plugged in the new modem, but XP is not detecting it at all. When I
    > try running the setup program for the modem, it starts up but then
    > closes immediately.
    >
    > The driver for the other modem is still installed so I thought it might
    > be conflicting with the new one, so I tried to remove the modem from
    > Control Panel. However, every time I try deleting the modem, it reboots
    > my PC! The same happens when I run the HXFSetup.exe program from the
    > C:\Program
    > Files\CONEXANT\CNXT_MODEM_PCI_VEN_14F1&DEV_2F00&SUBSYS_200414F1 folder.
    >
    > So I can't remove the old modem, and XP is not detecting my new modem!
    >
    > Help! Anyone got an ideas?

    maybe it'll work if you put the original modem back in the machine and
    then remove it all
    have a look in the device drivers and delete the old modem from there
    (if its still showing)

    smf, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Guest

    Looks like the new modem works fine with the existing drivers for the
    old modem, so everything's sorted now.

    , Jan 3, 2006
  4. Guest

    smf wrote:

    > maybe it'll work if you put the original modem back in the machine and then remove it all

    Too late now, I've returned it! :-( But I did run that HXFSetup.exe
    program when the old modem was still plugged in, and it had the same
    effect of instantly rebooting my PC.

    > have a look in the device drivers and delete the old modem from there (if its still showing)

    That was the first place I looked, but it's not showing up there. Which
    category should it show up in? It's been so long since I've done
    anything with 56k modems I can't remember!

    , Jan 3, 2006
  5. Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I can't believe I'm having so much trouble installing a $17 56k modem
    > but...

    There is your problem. Buy a good modem with good drivers.

    Rob J, Jan 3, 2006