    Thank you

    --
    Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Jack Gillis

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > This afternoon, I tried to synchronize the clock on my desktop and my
    > laptop using time.windows.com

    If you search on time.windows.com, you will find a lot of trouble.

    > as well as time.nist.gov.

    I use a tool called nistime32 which used to be at
    http://www.yashnikov.info/nistime32.html

    .... but isn't anymore. But I like it.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Jack Gillis

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Sep 28, 2007
  4. Jack Gillis

    Bruce Xia Guest

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > This afternoon, I tried to synchronize the clock on my desktop and my laptop
    > using time.windows.com as well as time.nist.gov. In both cases, I got a
    > message saying, " An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
    > ............" Could both servers be down at the same time or should I
    > look on my end for the problem? Am using Windows XP.

    It happens sometimes. I doubt either server was actually down.

    -------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers]
    @="6"
    "1"="time.windows.com"
    "2"="time.nist.gov"
    "3"="clock.isc.org"
    "4"="timekeeper.isi.edu"
    "5"="usno.pa-x.dec.com"
    "6"="tock.usno.navy.mil"
    "7"="tick.usno.navy.mil"
    -----------------------------------

    Copy everything between but not including the dashed lined and paste it
    to Notepad. Call the file ntp.reg

    Save it. Now double click on it, yes, ok.

    You now have seven NTP servers to choose from.

    Bruce Xia, Sep 29, 2007
  5. Jack Gillis

    *alan* Guest

    "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    > This afternoon, I tried to synchronize the clock on my desktop and my
    > laptop
    > using time.windows.com as well as time.nist.gov. In both cases, I got a
    > message saying, " An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
    > ............" Could both servers be down at the same time or should I
    > look on my end for the problem? Am using Windows XP.

    It's my understanding that neither of those time servers has worked for
    quite awhile.

    Go to Date & Time Properties > Internet Time tab
    Highlight whatever's appearing in the Server box.
    Delete.
    Enter ntp.nasa.gov
    click Apply
    click OK.

    That one should work.

    --
    Alan

    *alan*, Sep 29, 2007
  6. Jack Gillis

    Guest

    *alan* wrote:
    > "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    > > This afternoon, I tried to synchronize the clock on my desktop and my
    > > laptop
    > > using time.windows.com as well as time.nist.gov. In both cases, I got a
    > > message saying, " An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
    > > ............" Could both servers be down at the same time or should I
    > > look on my end for the problem? Am using Windows XP.

    > It's my understanding that neither of those time servers has worked for
    > quite awhile.
    >
    > Go to Date & Time Properties > Internet Time tab
    > Highlight whatever's appearing in the Server box.
    > Delete.
    > Enter ntp.nasa.gov
    > click Apply
    > click OK.
    >

    > That one should work.

    I've had trouble with that one from time to time.

    I use pool.ntp.org as the NTP service.

    Have a look: http://www.pool.ntp.org/

    Introduction

    The pool.ntp.org project is a big virtual cluster of timeservers
    striving to provide reliable easy to use NTP service for millions of
    clients without putting a strain on the big popular timeservers.

    Active Servers

    * Africa 3
    * Asia 62
    * Europe 807
    * North America 513
    * Oceania 57
    * South America 16
    * Global 1205
    * All Pool Servers 1440

    As of 2007-09-28 --

    , Sep 29, 2007
  7. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    --
    Jack Gillis
    > This afternoon, I tried to synchronize the clock on my desktop and my
    > laptop
    > using time.windows.com as well as time.nist.gov. In both cases, I got a
    > message saying, " An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
    > ............" Could both servers be down at the same time or should I
    > look on my end for the problem? Am using Windows XP.
    >
    > Thank you
    >

    > --
    > Jack Gillis

    Thank you very much to all who replied. I wound up using time-a.nist.gov
    and it works just fine.

    Thanks again.

    Jack Gillis, Sep 29, 2007
  8. Jack Gillis wrote:

    .... everything else automagically snipped due to
    a signature delimiter (dash-dash-whitespace) as first line in posting ...

    Btw., most of the times one of the nameservers of your ISP may work
    as timeserver just fine ...

    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 29, 2007