Cannot set System Testore disk space to use; WinME

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by timberlandko, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. timberlandko

    timberlandko Guest

    Yeah, I know - WinME - but its not mine to say why, its a client's machine,
    and that's what its got on it, so I'm stuck with it. It had been moderately
    infested w/spyware, removed the crap (run-of-the-mill stuff, nothing
    special) no problem, no virii found.

    System Restore will not run on this machine - invoking it from msconfig
    brings up only unhelpful message box saying" Unable to launch system
    restore" - same in normal boot or safe mode. Have disabled/re-enabled System
    Restore via System Properties>Performance>File System>Troubleshooting - no
    help.

    PIII 800, 256MB PC133 RAM, 53% of 30GB Hard Disk Free.

    Under File System Properties, Hard Disk, Settings, "Typical role" set to"
    Mobile or Docking System" (its a laptop), can be changed, no help, "System
    Restore disk space to use" is set to "Min" and grayed out, can't be reset,
    "Read Ahead Optimization" set to "Full", can be changed.

    System scans clean via up-to-date resident AV and 2 online AV scanners, also
    scans clean w/several anti-spyware/adware apps. HJT log shows nothing
    remarkable.

    Bootlog shows nothing remarkable.

    C:\Windows\Recent\Fault Log shows nothing remarkable.

    Device Manager Unremarkable.

    Nothing disabled in Startup.

    Everything else is OK - all Microsoft and 3rd Party apps run fine, internet
    connectivity is fine, network connectivity is fine. The only apparent
    problem, other than WinME, is that System Restore ain't there.

    Any ideas would be welcome, thanks in advance.

    timberlandko, Feb 8, 2007

  2. timberlandko

    timberlandko Guest

    OOPS - Topic title should read "Cannot set System Restore ... " - shoulda
    proofread before hitting "Send"

    timberlandko, Feb 8, 2007

  3. timberlandko

    West Alarm Guest

    On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:17:20 -0600, "timberlandko"
    <> wrote:

    >OOPS - Topic title should read "Cannot set System Restore ... " - shoulda
    >proofread before hitting "Send"

    I have a rule for supporting clients.

    1> No crappy or outdated OS's (ME, WIN 95, WIN 98 first edition)

    You're not doing them any favors by perpetuating their use of ME, they
    rely on you (the expert) to guide them. I'd explain that ME is
    unstable and recommend a re-format and new OS with 98v2 or 2k. Those
    specs will even run XP, upsell them on a 256M ram stick and be done
    with it.

    West Alarm, Feb 8, 2007