cannot set dns maximum-length

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by khaight@gmail.com, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I am trying to change my dns maximum-length to something high.

    Everytime I try to do I get:

    ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

    Here is the steps I am taking to set it up. (this is from the 7.x
    command line interface guide)

    hostname(config)# class-map dns-port
    hostname(config-cmap)# match port udp eq 53
    hostname(config-cmap)# exit
    hostname(config)# policy-map sample_policy
    hostname(config-pmap)# class dns-port
    hostname(config-pmap-c)# inspect dns maximum-length 1500

    Except when i get to the above line, I get this message:

    ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

    My instructions are straight out of the Cisco CLI refernece guide.

    Any ideas why? Am I forgetting a step somewhere?

    My hardware is a ASA 5510.

    If you need my running-config, please reply and I will post it.

    Thanks!
    , Jul 31, 2006

  2. Guest

    Hi,
    At what command is the marker showing under?

    wrote:
    > I am trying to change my dns maximum-length to something high.
    >
    > Everytime I try to do I get:
    >
    > ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
    >
    > Here is the steps I am taking to set it up. (this is from the 7.x
    > command line interface guide)
    >
    > hostname(config)# class-map dns-port
    > hostname(config-cmap)# match port udp eq 53
    > hostname(config-cmap)# exit
    > hostname(config)# policy-map sample_policy
    > hostname(config-pmap)# class dns-port
    > hostname(config-pmap-c)# inspect dns maximum-length 1500
    >
    > Except when i get to the above line, I get this message:
    >
    > ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
    >
    > My instructions are straight out of the Cisco CLI refernece guide.
    >
    > Any ideas why? Am I forgetting a step somewhere?
    >
    > My hardware is a ASA 5510.
    >
    > If you need my running-config, please reply and I will post it.
    >
    > Thanks!
    , Aug 2, 2006

  3. Guest

    Right here:

    inspect dns maximum-length 1500
    ^

    Right where i enter in the value.

    thanks!

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > At what command is the marker showing under?
    >

    > wrote:
    > > I am trying to change my dns maximum-length to something high.
    > >
    > > Everytime I try to do I get:
    > >
    > > ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
    > >
    > > Here is the steps I am taking to set it up. (this is from the 7.x
    > > command line interface guide)
    > >
    > > hostname(config)# class-map dns-port
    > > hostname(config-cmap)# match port udp eq 53
    > > hostname(config-cmap)# exit
    > > hostname(config)# policy-map sample_policy
    > > hostname(config-pmap)# class dns-port
    > > hostname(config-pmap-c)# inspect dns maximum-length 1500
    > >
    > > Except when i get to the above line, I get this message:
    > >
    > > ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
    > >
    > > My instructions are straight out of the Cisco CLI refernece guide.
    > >
    > > Any ideas why? Am I forgetting a step somewhere?
    > >
    > > My hardware is a ASA 5510.
    > >
    > > If you need my running-config, please reply and I will post it.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    , Aug 2, 2006
  4. Guest

    Im sorry for not clarifiying, but usually the marker is placed at the
    command that its having trouble with. like this

    gw7.NYC1>sh ip intra
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

    see how the first 2 commands are good, but when i misspell interface it
    places the marker underneath?

    wrote:
    > Right here:
    >
    > inspect dns maximum-length 1500
    > ^
    >
    > Right where i enter in the value.
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > At what command is the marker showing under?
    > >

    > > wrote:
    > > > I am trying to change my dns maximum-length to something high.
    > > >
    > > > Everytime I try to do I get:
    > > >
    > > > ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
    > > >
    > > > Here is the steps I am taking to set it up. (this is from the 7.x
    > > > command line interface guide)
    > > >
    > > > hostname(config)# class-map dns-port
    > > > hostname(config-cmap)# match port udp eq 53
    > > > hostname(config-cmap)# exit
    > > > hostname(config)# policy-map sample_policy
    > > > hostname(config-pmap)# class dns-port
    > > > hostname(config-pmap-c)# inspect dns maximum-length 1500
    > > >
    > > > Except when i get to the above line, I get this message:
    > > >
    > > > ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
    > > >
    > > > My instructions are straight out of the Cisco CLI refernece guide.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas why? Am I forgetting a step somewhere?
    > > >
    > > > My hardware is a ASA 5510.
    > > >
    > > > If you need my running-config, please reply and I will post it.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!
    , Aug 2, 2006