Cannot see workgroup computers by ''view workgroup computers'' - important!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kimiraikkonen, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. My notebook has WinXP Home SP2 with Windows Firewall is disabled. And
    i share files in with my main computer(desktop and Windows 2000 SP4)

    The problem is: Although all of important services are set to
    ''automatic'' and NetBios Over TCP ip is ON.

    1-With 2 computers are opened, When i click ''view workgroup
    computers'' from my NOTEBOOK, i cannot see any computers including my
    computer. But i type my computers name by entering it to ''run'' field
    area (start -> run -> \\CompName ) i can access the main
    computer(desktop).

    Interestingly, when click ''view workgroup computers'' option from my
    DESKTOP machine, i can see the all of computers.

    What is the matter?

    Why cannot see all the computers on the network when i click ''view
    workgroup computers'' from my NOTEBOOK.

    2-Although my main computer is not prompted for a password during OS
    login, (automatic login), i had to type ''Administrator'' to connect
    my main (desktop) computer from my notebook. I tried several things
    with no luck whic removes username and password prompt requirement
    when connecting to my main computer.

    Also i want to indicate this on some computers which have SP2 with
    ''Windows Firewall'' , i had to disable Windows Firewall to prevent
    lock ups hangs when the main computer is closed.

    So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

    Please help.

    Best regards...
    kimiraikkonen, Feb 6, 2007

  2. kimiraikkonen

    Gordon Guest

    kimiraikkonen wrote:

    > So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

    well you won't get any...this is not a microsoft group.....

    --
    Microsoft doesn't release software - it escapes
    Gordon, Feb 6, 2007

  3. kimiraikkonen

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 6 Feb 2007 12:28:08 -0800, "kimiraikkonen"
    <> wrote:

    >So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

    Shit, all MVP's, drop whatever you're doing. This is IMPORTANT.
    Evan Platt, Feb 7, 2007
  4. kimiraikkonen wrote:

    > My notebook has WinXP Home SP2 with Windows Firewall is disabled. And
    > i share files in with my main computer(desktop and Windows 2000 SP4)
    >
    > The problem is: Although all of important services are set to
    > ''automatic'' and NetBios Over TCP ip is ON.
    >
    > 1-With 2 computers are opened, When i click ''view workgroup
    > computers'' from my NOTEBOOK, i cannot see any computers including my
    > computer. But i type my computers name by entering it to ''run'' field
    > area (start -> run -> \\CompName ) i can access the main
    > computer(desktop).
    >
    > Interestingly, when click ''view workgroup computers'' option from my
    > DESKTOP machine, i can see the all of computers.
    >
    > What is the matter?

    Can be a hundred matters, but what matters? Importance?

    > Why cannot see all the computers on the network when i click ''view
    > workgroup computers'' from my NOTEBOOK.
    >
    > 2-Although my main computer is not prompted for a password during OS
    > login, (automatic login), i had to type ''Administrator'' to connect
    > my main (desktop) computer from my notebook. I tried several things
    > with no luck whic removes username and password prompt requirement
    > when connecting to my main computer.

    I assume workgroup name is the same on both.
    You may need a matching account _with_ a password (equal on both 'puters) to
    actually be able to share files - xp refuses to accept incoming requests
    from a passwordless one, by default (otherwise with xphome, anyone would be
    able to break in as administrator which usually is available only in safe
    mode and almost noone ever sets a password for that one)
    - network name broadcasting can take up to 15 minutes, use lmhosts (search
    for lmhosts.sam file, edit it according to the comments therein, save the
    edited file as "lmhosts" _without_ extension) if you have static ip
    addresses.

    > Also i want to indicate this on some computers which have SP2 with
    > ''Windows Firewall'' , i had to disable Windows Firewall to prevent
    > lock ups hangs when the main computer is closed.

    You should unmap network drives from the "server" before shutting it down.

    > So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

    LOL.

    Walter Mautner, Feb 7, 2007
  5. On Feb 6, 11:51 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > kimiraikkonen wrote:
    > > So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

    > well you won't get any...this is not a microsoft group.....
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft doesn't release software - it escapes

    Gordon, Even Platt, What is your problem? Is there any restriction for
    opening topic to this group? There are lots of topics related to
    different subjects including MS in this group.

    Walter, anyway thanks for your technical advice but the ''importance''
    is for me even it is not yours, you and nobody answers...
    kimiraikkonen, Feb 7, 2007
  6. kimiraikkonen wrote:

    > Walter, anyway thanks for your technical advice but the ''importance''
    > is for me even it is not yours, you and nobody answers...

    I hope you could somehow sort it out.
    "Importance", when mentioned in newsgroups, will always get you replies
    like "hire a professional if it is of vital importance to you".
    Walter Mautner, Feb 7, 2007