Cannot see files on Memory Stick

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PC, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    Greetings all.

    Have a mate that with a 'no pictures on the memory stick' problem that I
    can't sort.

    Hardware:

    Sony DSC-S90 digi cam with 256MB memory stick pro, brand new.
    PC is a Windows XP Home, bog standard bits, 12months old.

    The problem is we can see photo's on the cameras memory stick with the
    camera but when we plug the Camera into the USB socket we cannot see any
    folders / photo's on the memory stick/camera.

    What we've tried / proved / know

    The folders/photos are readable on another PC just by plugging the camera in
    and looking at the 'removable drive' with Windows Explorer.
    The Camera's software also reads the photo's of the camera on another PC no
    problem.

    My mates PC recognises the USB device as indicated by the 'ding dong'
    default sound.
    XP found the camera when first plugged in and wen't through the normal
    'installing software' routine.
    The software has been removed and reinstalled. (Picture Package)
    The software cannot 'see' the camera, though the software itself runs fine.
    The camera shows up as a 'removable drive' in Windows Explorer, but with
    'nothing' in it.
    A USB flash drive plugged in the same USB socket shows it's folders and
    files normally.
    All files are set to 'show' (ie no hidden system files)
    XP up to date with Microsoft updates, and all the correct drivers are in
    place.
    The PC is clean with up to date AV and Anti Spyware.
    Plenty of HD Space.

    Speculative thoughts:

    Different printer to the other PC (Brother Laser)
    Corrupt Windows USB files (which ones ? & more importantly how to fix)
    Google hasn't helped as anything with 'cannot see files/photos etc' in it
    suggests either file system errors or NTFS neither of which seem to apply in
    this case.

    Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 4, 2005

  2. PC

    Rob J Guest

    n Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:36:35 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    >Greetings all.
    >
    >Have a mate that with a 'no pictures on the memory stick' problem that I
    >can't sort.
    >
    >Hardware:
    >
    >Sony DSC-S90 digi cam with 256MB memory stick pro, brand new.
    >PC is a Windows XP Home, bog standard bits, 12months old.
    >
    >The problem is we can see photo's on the cameras memory stick with the
    >camera but when we plug the Camera into the USB socket we cannot see any
    >folders / photo's on the memory stick/camera.
    >
    >What we've tried / proved / know
    >
    >The folders/photos are readable on another PC just by plugging the camera in
    >and looking at the 'removable drive' with Windows Explorer.
    >The Camera's software also reads the photo's of the camera on another PC no
    >problem.
    >
    >My mates PC recognises the USB device as indicated by the 'ding dong'
    >default sound.
    >XP found the camera when first plugged in and wen't through the normal
    >'installing software' routine.
    >The software has been removed and reinstalled. (Picture Package)
    >The software cannot 'see' the camera, though the software itself runs fine.
    >The camera shows up as a 'removable drive' in Windows Explorer, but with
    >'nothing' in it.
    >A USB flash drive plugged in the same USB socket shows it's folders and
    >files normally.
    >All files are set to 'show' (ie no hidden system files)
    >XP up to date with Microsoft updates, and all the correct drivers are in
    >place.
    >The PC is clean with up to date AV and Anti Spyware.
    >Plenty of HD Space.
    >
    >Speculative thoughts:
    >
    >Different printer to the other PC (Brother Laser)
    >Corrupt Windows USB files (which ones ? & more importantly how to fix)
    >Google hasn't helped as anything with 'cannot see files/photos etc' in it
    >suggests either file system errors or NTFS neither of which seem to apply in
    >this case.
    >
    >Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.

    What do you see when you open the camera under Scanners and Cameras in
    My Computer?

    Rob J, Aug 4, 2005

  3. PC

    Tony Guest

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:36:35 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    >Greetings all.
    >
    >Have a mate that with a 'no pictures on the memory stick' problem that I
    >can't sort.
    >
    >Hardware:
    >
    >Sony DSC-S90 digi cam with 256MB memory stick pro, brand new.
    >PC is a Windows XP Home, bog standard bits, 12months old.
    >
    >The problem is we can see photo's on the cameras memory stick with the
    >camera but when we plug the Camera into the USB socket we cannot see any
    >folders / photo's on the memory stick/camera.
    >
    >What we've tried / proved / know
    >
    >The folders/photos are readable on another PC just by plugging the camera in
    >and looking at the 'removable drive' with Windows Explorer.
    >The Camera's software also reads the photo's of the camera on another PC no
    >problem.
    >
    >My mates PC recognises the USB device as indicated by the 'ding dong'
    >default sound.
    >XP found the camera when first plugged in and wen't through the normal
    >'installing software' routine.
    >The software has been removed and reinstalled. (Picture Package)
    >The software cannot 'see' the camera, though the software itself runs fine.
    >The camera shows up as a 'removable drive' in Windows Explorer, but with
    >'nothing' in it.
    >A USB flash drive plugged in the same USB socket shows it's folders and
    >files normally.
    >All files are set to 'show' (ie no hidden system files)
    >XP up to date with Microsoft updates, and all the correct drivers are in
    >place.
    >The PC is clean with up to date AV and Anti Spyware.
    >Plenty of HD Space.
    >
    >Speculative thoughts:
    >
    >Different printer to the other PC (Brother Laser)
    >Corrupt Windows USB files (which ones ? & more importantly how to fix)
    >Google hasn't helped as anything with 'cannot see files/photos etc' in it
    >suggests either file system errors or NTFS neither of which seem to apply in
    >this case.
    >
    >Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Paul.

    Try a Repair install of XP..

    Tony, Aug 4, 2005
  4. "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:36:35 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Greetings all.
    >>
    >>Have a mate that with a 'no pictures on the memory stick' problem that I
    >>can't sort.
    >>
    >>Hardware:
    >>
    >>Sony DSC-S90 digi cam with 256MB memory stick pro, brand new.
    >>PC is a Windows XP Home, bog standard bits, 12months old.
    >>
    >>The problem is we can see photo's on the cameras memory stick with the
    >>camera but when we plug the Camera into the USB socket we cannot see any
    >>folders / photo's on the memory stick/camera.
    >>
    >>What we've tried / proved / know
    >>
    >>The folders/photos are readable on another PC just by plugging the camera
    >>in
    >>and looking at the 'removable drive' with Windows Explorer.
    >>The Camera's software also reads the photo's of the camera on another PC
    >>no
    >>problem.
    >>
    >>My mates PC recognises the USB device as indicated by the 'ding dong'
    >>default sound.
    >>XP found the camera when first plugged in and wen't through the normal
    >>'installing software' routine.
    >>The software has been removed and reinstalled. (Picture Package)
    >>The software cannot 'see' the camera, though the software itself runs
    >>fine.
    >>The camera shows up as a 'removable drive' in Windows Explorer, but with
    >>'nothing' in it.
    >>A USB flash drive plugged in the same USB socket shows it's folders and
    >>files normally.
    >>All files are set to 'show' (ie no hidden system files)
    >>XP up to date with Microsoft updates, and all the correct drivers are in
    >>place.
    >>The PC is clean with up to date AV and Anti Spyware.
    >>Plenty of HD Space.
    >>
    >>Speculative thoughts:
    >>
    >>Different printer to the other PC (Brother Laser)
    >>Corrupt Windows USB files (which ones ? & more importantly how to fix)
    >>Google hasn't helped as anything with 'cannot see files/photos etc' in it
    >>suggests either file system errors or NTFS neither of which seem to apply
    >>in
    >>this case.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Paul.
    >>

    > Try a Repair install of XP..

    This reminds me of people who use a sledgehammer to drive tacks

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, Aug 4, 2005
  5. PC

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:36:35 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Greetings all.
    > >
    > >Have a mate that with a 'no pictures on the memory stick' problem that I
    > >can't sort.
    > >
    > >Hardware:
    > >
    > >Sony DSC-S90 digi cam with 256MB memory stick pro, brand new.
    > >PC is a Windows XP Home, bog standard bits, 12months old.
    > >
    > >The problem is we can see photo's on the cameras memory stick with the
    > >camera but when we plug the Camera into the USB socket we cannot see any
    > >folders / photo's on the memory stick/camera.
    > >
    > >What we've tried / proved / know
    > >
    > >The folders/photos are readable on another PC just by plugging the camera

    in
    > >and looking at the 'removable drive' with Windows Explorer.
    > >The Camera's software also reads the photo's of the camera on another PC

    no
    > >problem.
    > >
    > >My mates PC recognises the USB device as indicated by the 'ding dong'
    > >default sound.
    > >XP found the camera when first plugged in and wen't through the normal
    > >'installing software' routine.
    > >The software has been removed and reinstalled. (Picture Package)
    > >The software cannot 'see' the camera, though the software itself runs

    fine.
    > >The camera shows up as a 'removable drive' in Windows Explorer, but with
    > >'nothing' in it.
    > >A USB flash drive plugged in the same USB socket shows it's folders and
    > >files normally.
    > >All files are set to 'show' (ie no hidden system files)
    > >XP up to date with Microsoft updates, and all the correct drivers are in
    > >place.
    > >The PC is clean with up to date AV and Anti Spyware.
    > >Plenty of HD Space.
    > >
    > >Speculative thoughts:
    > >
    > >Different printer to the other PC (Brother Laser)
    > >Corrupt Windows USB files (which ones ? & more importantly how to fix)
    > >Google hasn't helped as anything with 'cannot see files/photos etc' in it
    > >suggests either file system errors or NTFS neither of which seem to apply

    in
    > >this case.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.
    > >
    > >Cheers
    > >Paul.
    > >

    > Try a Repair install of XP..

    LOL
    The only problem is that you're completely serious.

    Unplug the camera - uninstall the software - shove the CD back in and
    install the software properly - then plug the camera back in for another go
    at it with camera in *PC mode* of course.
    Another option is to try a memory stick reader - come in all forms including
    a mouse with a memory stick slot in it.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 4, 2005
  6. PC

    PC Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >n Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:36:35 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Greetings all.
    >>
    >>Have a mate that with a 'no pictures on the memory stick' problem that I
    >>can't sort.
    >>
    >>Hardware:
    >>
    >>Sony DSC-S90 digi cam with 256MB memory stick pro, brand new.
    >>PC is a Windows XP Home, bog standard bits, 12months old.
    >>
    >>The problem is we can see photo's on the cameras memory stick with the
    >>camera but when we plug the Camera into the USB socket we cannot see any
    >>folders / photo's on the memory stick/camera.
    >>
    >>What we've tried / proved / know
    >>
    >>The folders/photos are readable on another PC just by plugging the camera
    >>in
    >>and looking at the 'removable drive' with Windows Explorer.
    >>The Camera's software also reads the photo's of the camera on another PC
    >>no
    >>problem.
    >>
    >>My mates PC recognises the USB device as indicated by the 'ding dong'
    >>default sound.
    >>XP found the camera when first plugged in and wen't through the normal
    >>'installing software' routine.
    >>The software has been removed and reinstalled. (Picture Package)
    >>The software cannot 'see' the camera, though the software itself runs
    >>fine.
    >>The camera shows up as a 'removable drive' in Windows Explorer, but with
    >>'nothing' in it.
    >>A USB flash drive plugged in the same USB socket shows it's folders and
    >>files normally.
    >>All files are set to 'show' (ie no hidden system files)
    >>XP up to date with Microsoft updates, and all the correct drivers are in
    >>place.
    >>The PC is clean with up to date AV and Anti Spyware.
    >>Plenty of HD Space.
    >>
    >>Speculative thoughts:
    >>
    >>Different printer to the other PC (Brother Laser)
    >>Corrupt Windows USB files (which ones ? & more importantly how to fix)
    >>Google hasn't helped as anything with 'cannot see files/photos etc' in it
    >>suggests either file system errors or NTFS neither of which seem to apply
    >>in
    >>this case.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.

    > What do you see when you open the camera under Scanners and Cameras in
    > My Computer?

    Nothing!
    i.e. can't find it
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 5, 2005
  7. PC

    PC Guest

    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:36:35 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Greetings all.
    >> >
    >> >Have a mate that with a 'no pictures on the memory stick' problem that I
    >> >can't sort.
    >> >
    >> >Hardware:
    >> >
    >> >Sony DSC-S90 digi cam with 256MB memory stick pro, brand new.
    >> >PC is a Windows XP Home, bog standard bits, 12months old.
    >> >
    >> >The problem is we can see photo's on the cameras memory stick with the
    >> >camera but when we plug the Camera into the USB socket we cannot see any
    >> >folders / photo's on the memory stick/camera.
    >> >
    >> >What we've tried / proved / know
    >> >
    >> >The folders/photos are readable on another PC just by plugging the
    >> >camera

    > in
    >> >and looking at the 'removable drive' with Windows Explorer.
    >> >The Camera's software also reads the photo's of the camera on another PC

    > no
    >> >problem.
    >> >
    >> >My mates PC recognises the USB device as indicated by the 'ding dong'
    >> >default sound.
    >> >XP found the camera when first plugged in and wen't through the normal
    >> >'installing software' routine.
    >> >The software has been removed and reinstalled. (Picture Package)
    >> >The software cannot 'see' the camera, though the software itself runs

    > fine.
    >> >The camera shows up as a 'removable drive' in Windows Explorer, but with
    >> >'nothing' in it.
    >> >A USB flash drive plugged in the same USB socket shows it's folders and
    >> >files normally.
    >> >All files are set to 'show' (ie no hidden system files)
    >> >XP up to date with Microsoft updates, and all the correct drivers are in
    >> >place.
    >> >The PC is clean with up to date AV and Anti Spyware.
    >> >Plenty of HD Space.
    >> >
    >> >Speculative thoughts:
    >> >
    >> >Different printer to the other PC (Brother Laser)
    >> >Corrupt Windows USB files (which ones ? & more importantly how to fix)
    >> >Google hasn't helped as anything with 'cannot see files/photos etc' in
    >> >it
    >> >suggests either file system errors or NTFS neither of which seem to
    >> >apply

    > in
    >> >this case.
    >> >
    >> >Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.
    >> >
    >> >Cheers
    >> >Paul.
    >> >

    >> Try a Repair install of XP..

    > LOL
    > The only problem is that you're completely serious.
    >
    > Unplug the camera - uninstall the software - shove the CD back in and
    > install the software properly - then plug the camera back in for another
    > go
    > at it with camera in *PC mode* of course.
    > Another option is to try a memory stick reader - come in all forms
    > including
    > a mouse with a memory stick slot in it.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Unplug, uninstall, reboot, reinstall, plug camera in, XP finds it, finds
    Sony DSC Camera, mounts the 'removable drive' exactly as one would expect.
    But still unable to see any folders, files or photo's on it.
    Got the manual out, followed the instructions to the letter, still no
    folders, files or photo's.

    Take the Camera to another XP PC, follow the instructions to the letter,
    bingo the folders/files/photo's are all there.

    All Sony camera's that I know of show up as a removable drive in XP's
    Windows Explorer.
    'USB Drivers' are not needed for XP and that is clearly stated in the
    manual.

    I've since tried a 3rd PC, ignored the software (which is only a photo
    viewer / manager app) plugged it in, all the folders/files/photos were there
    in Windows Explorer as they should be.
    Then to check I installed the Win 98 drivers from the disk in case they had
    been installed by accident on the original PC.
    Could still see all the folders/files/photos on the memory stick.

    I have the feeling that something is broken in the USB side of things rather
    than any fault on the camera/memory stick.
    Mainly I guess because Scanners/Cameras wizard doesn't find it.
    Does anyone know how to remove/reinstall USB drivers/files (tried deleting
    them from device manager) in XP?

    "Repair install of XP"
    Been there and done that in the past, haven't found that successful for this
    sort of fault.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 5, 2005
  8. PC

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:24:18 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    >"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:36:35 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >>>

    >I have the feeling that something is broken in the USB side of things rather
    >than any fault on the camera/memory stick.
    >Mainly I guess because Scanners/Cameras wizard doesn't find it.
    >Does anyone know how to remove/reinstall USB drivers/files (tried deleting
    >them from device manager) in XP?
    >
    >"Repair install of XP"
    >Been there and done that in the past, haven't found that successful for this
    >sort of fault.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Paul.

    Go to the Device Manager and select the USB, look at the Host Controllers
    and the USB Root Hub, the Hub should indicate the connected device and the
    current used, under the Power Tab..

    Tony, Aug 5, 2005
  9. PC

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:36:35 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    >Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.

    Might be a long shot, but try switching the USB mode on the camera. It's in the
    menus, your options will probably be PTP or Normal. It should be on normal.

    Craig Shore, Aug 5, 2005
  10. PC

    PC Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:36:35 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.

    > Might be a long shot, but try switching the USB mode on the camera. It's
    > in the
    > menus, your options will probably be PTP or Normal. It should be on
    > normal.

    Thanks for the thought Craig, but I regret to say, done that, same result.
    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 5, 2005
  11. PC

    PC Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:24:18 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>I have the feeling that something is broken in the USB side of things
    >>rather
    >>than any fault on the camera/memory stick.
    >>Mainly I guess because Scanners/Cameras wizard doesn't find it.
    >>Does anyone know how to remove/reinstall USB drivers/files (tried deleting
    >>them from device manager) in XP?
    >>
    >>"Repair install of XP"
    >>Been there and done that in the past, haven't found that successful for
    >>this
    >>sort of fault.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Paul.
    >>

    > Go to the Device Manager and select the USB, look at the Host
    > Controllers
    > and the USB Root Hub, the Hub should indicate the connected device and
    > the
    > current used, under the Power Tab..

    Good lead, I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks.
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 5, 2005
  12. PC

    Rob J Guest

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:24:18 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    >"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message

    >> in

    >> no

    >> fine.

    >> in

    >>> Try a Repair install of XP..

    >> LOL
    >> The only problem is that you're completely serious.
    >>
    >> Unplug the camera - uninstall the software - shove the CD back in and
    >> install the software properly - then plug the camera back in for another
    >> go
    >> at it with camera in *PC mode* of course.
    >> Another option is to try a memory stick reader - come in all forms
    >> including
    >> a mouse with a memory stick slot in it.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    >Unplug, uninstall, reboot, reinstall, plug camera in, XP finds it, finds
    >Sony DSC Camera, mounts the 'removable drive' exactly as one would expect.
    >But still unable to see any folders, files or photo's on it.
    >Got the manual out, followed the instructions to the letter, still no
    >folders, files or photo's.
    >
    >Take the Camera to another XP PC, follow the instructions to the letter,
    >bingo the folders/files/photo's are all there.
    >
    >All Sony camera's that I know of show up as a removable drive in XP's
    >Windows Explorer.
    >'USB Drivers' are not needed for XP and that is clearly stated in the
    >manual.

    If you open My Computer you should see a Scanners and Cameras section
    with the camera listed under it.

    Rob J, Aug 5, 2005
  13. PC

    Mr X Guest

    XP can be a bastard!!!

    I've see machines that refuse to seem to see memory card readers but they
    don't have any files.
    In these cases XP was spazzing out and trying to reuse a drive letter that
    it wan't for something else, I'm my case a network drive.
    To solve it I right clicked on My computer and chose manage. Under storage
    / disk management right click on the removable drive and take the change
    drive letter option. Choose a letter that definitely isn't used by anything
    else.

    Good luck....

    Mr X, Aug 5, 2005
  14. PC

    SteveM Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in

    > Greetings all.
    >
    > Have a mate that with a 'no pictures on the memory stick' problem that
    > I can't sort.
    >
    > Hardware:
    >
    > Sony DSC-S90 digi cam with 256MB memory stick pro, brand new.
    > PC is a Windows XP Home, bog standard bits, 12months old.
    >
    > The problem is we can see photo's on the cameras memory stick with the
    > camera but when we plug the Camera into the USB socket we cannot see
    > any folders / photo's on the memory stick/camera.

    > Different printer to the other PC (Brother Laser)
    > Corrupt Windows USB files (which ones ? & more importantly how to fix)
    > Google hasn't helped as anything with 'cannot see files/photos etc' in
    > it suggests either file system errors or NTFS neither of which seem to
    > apply in this case.
    >
    > Any suggestions to a fix would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    A long shot -
    A client of mine had mapped a network drive to e:\ (i.e after the CD drive
    on d:)
    When he plugged the camera in, it would make all the right noises but could
    not bee seen in explorer.
    For some reason it wanted to be e: (but that letter was already taken).
    Moving the mapped drive off e: to another letter allowed the camera to use
    e: and all was well again.

    Also have a look in Disk Management (in Computer management (in Admin
    tools)) to see if the device is there but has not been assigned a drive
    letter.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Aug 5, 2005
  15. In article <Xns96A9EEEFBC88Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109.252.31>,
    SteveM <> wrote:

    >A client of mine had mapped a network drive to e:\ (i.e after the CD drive
    >on d:)
    >When he plugged the camera in, it would make all the right noises but could
    >not bee seen in explorer.
    >For some reason it wanted to be e: (but that letter was already taken).

    Can't you set up udev-type rules in XP so a particular hotplug device
    always gets assigned the same drive letter?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2005
  16. PC

    PC Guest

    "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns96A9EEEFBC88Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109.252.31>,
    > SteveM <> wrote:
    >
    >>A client of mine had mapped a network drive to e:\ (i.e after the CD drive
    >>on d:)
    >>When he plugged the camera in, it would make all the right noises but
    >>could
    >>not bee seen in explorer.
    >>For some reason it wanted to be e: (but that letter was already taken).

    > Can't you set up udev-type rules in XP so a particular hotplug device
    > always gets assigned the same drive letter?

    Hey thanks for the tips, sounds logical to me, will post results when I get
    hands on machine again.
    Thanks again
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 6, 2005
  17. PC

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 23:41:25 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <Xns96A9EEEFBC88Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109.252.31>,
    > SteveM <> wrote:
    >
    >>A client of mine had mapped a network drive to e:\ (i.e after the CD drive
    >>on d:)
    >>When he plugged the camera in, it would make all the right noises but could
    >>not bee seen in explorer.
    >>For some reason it wanted to be e: (but that letter was already taken).

    >Can't you set up udev-type rules in XP so a particular hotplug device
    >always gets assigned the same drive letter?

    I just had a Problem with a New 2G USB Flash Ram stick, I did get one
    corrupted file on it from my own PC, my mate could not use it on his USB 2
    port Card, the Ram drive just disappears, sort of OK on the USB 1.1 Ports but
    it generated corrupted files.

    I then did a FAT format with XP, then dump a lat of files onto it, all seems
    OK, did this some 3, 4 times.

    Took it again to my friends place, it also drops out on his USB 2 ports, it
    did copy some files then disappeared, worked OK on his USB 1.1 ports and no
    corrupted files.

    Plugged into my PC using the USB 2 Ports and the Drive was not seem, went into
    the Device manager and the USB controllers, the Hub was showing the Ram stick
    but with a Red cross on the Left..?

    Was being listed as Disabled, click on to enable and all was OK..

    So I don't know why it was disables at all.

    Tried it again now and its OK..

    This is the Fast Transcend one, raved about on Toms

    http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=68&SpNo=1&LangNo=0

    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20050520/index.html

    I don't know if I have a temperamental one, but it does have a 2 year
    warrantee.

    Tony, Aug 6, 2005
  18. PC

    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <Xns96A9EEEFBC88Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109.252.31>,
    > SteveM <> wrote:
    >
    >>A client of mine had mapped a network drive to e:\ (i.e after the CD drive
    >>on d:)
    >>When he plugged the camera in, it would make all the right noises but could
    >>not bee seen in explorer.
    >>For some reason it wanted to be e: (but that letter was already taken).

    >Can't you set up udev-type rules in XP so a particular hotplug device
    >always gets assigned the same drive letter?

    Some Interesting Help from SONY and USB devices..

    http://www.sonydigital-link.com/tutorials/DIME/usb_troubleshooting/usb_troubleshooting.asp

    And more.

    http://searchwinsystems.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid68_gci1102478,00.html

    Tony, Aug 6, 2005
  19. In article <Xns96A9EEEFBC88Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109.252.31>,
    SteveM <> wrote:

    >A client of mine had mapped a network drive to e:\ (i.e after the CD drive
    >on d:)
    >When he plugged the camera in, it would make all the right noises but could
    >not bee seen in explorer.
    >For some reason it wanted to be e: (but that letter was already taken).
    >Moving the mapped drive off e: to another letter allowed the camera to use
    >e: and all was well again.

    By the way, why are you still bothering with drive letters at all? I was
    assured by experts
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/18e38b9a915c1e99?dmode=sour
    ce>,
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/2f40af9616a30b4f?dmode=sour
    ce> that you can mount everything in a single namespace off the C:
    drive, and otherwise dispense with drive letters completely.

    Or were they spouting a load of hot air?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 8, 2005
  20. PC

    Rob J Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:34:18 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <Xns96A9EEEFBC88Csdmccremovemeparadis@203.109.252.31>,
    > SteveM <> wrote:
    >
    >>A client of mine had mapped a network drive to e:\ (i.e after the CD drive
    >>on d:)
    >>When he plugged the camera in, it would make all the right noises but could
    >>not bee seen in explorer.
    >>For some reason it wanted to be e: (but that letter was already taken).
    >>Moving the mapped drive off e: to another letter allowed the camera to use
    >>e: and all was well again.

    >By the way, why are you still bothering with drive letters at all? I was
    >assured by experts
    ><http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/18e38b9a915c1e99?dmode=sour
    >ce>,
    ><http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/2f40af9616a30b4f?dmode=sour
    >ce> that you can mount everything in a single namespace off the C:
    >drive, and otherwise dispense with drive letters completely.
    >
    >Or were they spouting a load of hot air?

    You are spouting hot air of something you know nothing about.

    The drivers for most of these devices assign a drive letter by
    default.

    Depending on the type of driver though it can appear as a "Camera and
    Scanner" device which does not have a drive letter.

    Rob J, Aug 8, 2005