Cannot remove wireless network (assigned by GPO)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Erik, Jan 20, 2009.

  1. Erik

    Erik Guest

    So.. a while back I was experimenting with using GPOs to push out my wireless
    settings. And it worked quite well.

    Unfortunately, the time came to make changes to the wireless settings, and
    the GPO (at the time) no longer sufficed... certain options were missing at
    the time (such as being able to set a WPA2-PSK network up). So, I removed
    the GPO entirely off my domain.

    I now have a WinXP Pro laptop which will not get rid of the setting... I
    have tried the following (connected via LAN).

    1) gpupdate /force
    2) gpupdate /boot

    I have restarted the computer after each step above.

    Upon trying to just use the wizard to delete the connection, it removes
    successfully... but then when I add the new wireless network (of the same
    SSID) and set it up right, it won't connect. When I go back to look at it,
    it shows that it's still the same WEP network.

    I then tried to gpedit my way through, and just remove that GP setting...
    however the "Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies" section does not exist.

    Any ideas? I've searched and searched, and I can't find anything in the
    registry to delete (created a dummy network with a unique ssid so that I
    could just search the reg for that name... no results found).

    I tried replacing my %systemroot%/inf/sceregvl.inf file to see if I could
    get that GP option to show up, but still no go (rebooted after the file
    replacement).
    Erik, Jan 20, 2009

  2. You may have to recreate the GPO and flip it to reverse what you did.

    Some settings done with GPO have to be "undone" with GPO before getting rid
    of the GPO.

    I have never messed with the wireless settings via GPO so I don't know what
    the settings "look like",...so that is the best I can tell you.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 20, 2009

  3. Erik

    Erik Guest

    Unfortunately, this seems to have not done the trick.. I had high hopes, but
    for whatever reason the new wireless GPO seems to not be able to usurp the
    settings.

    Erik, Jan 21, 2009
  4. "Erik" <> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately, this seems to have not done the trick.. I had high hopes,
    > but
    > for whatever reason the new wireless GPO seems to not be able to usurp the
    > settings.

    Ok,..well I don't know what to do with that. If I think of anything I'll
    post back.

    For the future,..if you don't think you will need a GPO any longer just
    "unlink" it without deleting it because you can always "re-link" if you need
    to. Then only delete it when you are certain it will never be needed.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 21, 2009
  5. Erik

    Erik Guest

    Definitely a good tip, and one that I'll be sure to follow in the future.. in
    this case though, I was pretty sure I wouldn't need the GPO.

    Other laptops work just fine, it happens to just be this specific laptop. :(

    Erik, Jan 21, 2009
  6. "Erik" <> wrote in message
    > Definitely a good tip, and one that I'll be sure to follow in the future..
    > in
    > this case though, I was pretty sure I wouldn't need the GPO.
    >
    > Other laptops work just fine, it happens to just be this specific laptop.
    > :(

    Since it is only one machine....

    You could try a Windows Restore Point,...or go "scorched earth" and use the
    OEM restore feature to reload the whole thing back to factory specs. You
    can save the My Docs, Desktop, and Browser Favorites before you do that.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 22, 2009