    micro.
    I have Norton and spybot, and spyware doctor installed.

    What is going on?
    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Strange, although these things often are installed as part of other app's -
    ex: Yahoo Toolbar comes along with Adobe Acrobat Reader Updates, if you have
    those set up to automatically update you wouldn't know they were there, why
    they refuse to uninstall , I couldn't say?

    Have you set up a local network? It could be misconfigured?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 1, 2006

  3. I believe this was caused by a previous registry mix up.
    What would happened if I "install" the yahoo toolbar and google toolbar.
    Would that automatically "uninstall" these phantom programs?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 2, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sometimes yes, mostly you will really install them and then you often will
    have the proper entries to uninstall them. That should work for yahoo and
    google, but you would have no luck with Trend Micro as it will not install
    on x64.

    John Barnes, Jun 2, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

    Graham Guest

    I think you need the MSI installer cleanup tool. It's from Microsoft,
    let me see if I can find it ... I think it's this one
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    Make sure you don't tell it to remove things you really have installed!

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 2, 2006
  6. About Trend and MS A/S, you say they are not installed - couldn't you have
    tried to install those earlier? The 'mixup' you mention, could that be the
    remains of an installation gone wrong?

    If you do still have the installation setup programs for those, you often
    find that they have their own un-installation inside. Perhaps you could try
    and fire up the installation for, say Trend, and ask it to make an
    un-installation and see what happens.

    For the rest, I side with John.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 2, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

    Martin S. Guest

    If they really aren't installed you could navigate to the following registry
    key and take out the offending entries..
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    Martin S., Jun 2, 2006
  8. Probably the mix up registry had these programs installed on them, but not
    the computer I am using.

    There is no trace of these installation programs on my computer.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 2, 2006
  9. Ok. When I got there I took out an entry regarding Yahoo companion.
    No sign of Google, Trend micro or MS antispyware though.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 2, 2006
  10. They warn you from ther start!
    It looks like you have to be very careful.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 2, 2006
  11. Ok, I will try that for Yahoo and Google.
    What will work for Trend micro and Ms antispyware?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 2, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

    Martin S. Guest

    You need to look through ALL the entries or do a search on that key, they
    aren't all named according to the program they represent.

    Martin S., Jun 2, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

    Martin S. Guest

    If your running XP x64 you will need to look here too...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    Martin S., Jun 2, 2006
  14. Ok, I will look at all of them.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 2, 2006
  15. I went through all of them at the registry location you mentioned, and yes, I
    found a couple with google and MS antispy, and Trend micro. Took them out
    also.

    I looked at the other address mentioned, but the Wow6432Node does not show up.
    Anyhow, I looked at the Add Remove list now, and bingo! The yahoo and google
    are gone.
    In relation to the Trend micro and MS antispyware, they are still there, but
    now the add remove buttons are gone!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 3, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Remember that the only entries you eliminated for Yahoo and Google were the
    uninstall entries. The only way to clean out all the registry entries is to
    reinstall and then uninstall those programs using the add/remove panel.

    John Barnes, Jun 4, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

    Graham Guest

    John Barnes wrote:
    > Remember that the only entries you eliminated for Yahoo and Google were the
    > uninstall entries. The only way to clean out all the registry entries is to
    > reinstall and then uninstall those programs using the add/remove panel.

    Well, even that's not ensured. It's a rare program that fully removes
    itself from the registry when uninstalled! I'd suggest if there's no
    problems he now leave well alone.

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 4, 2006
  18. Ok, I will reinstall google and yahoo and then uninstall to clean the
    registry completely. What can I do about the MS-antspyware and Trend micro,
    the same process?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 5, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You may get rid of all entries, but will get rid of most with Yahoo and
    Google. You will have to get rid of Trend manually, and I know nothing of
    MS antispy, but you can try to install it and if it installs, you can then
    uninstall. You can also take Graham's advice and do nothing.
    Is this related to the registryman posts of some time ago which Darryll
    recommended reinstalling?

    John Barnes, Jun 5, 2006
  20. How about that registry cleaner tool from Microsoft? If it will put things
    back to normal, I might try it. No, this is not the registryman.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=, Jun 6, 2006