Cannot remove downloader trojan virus

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by fjwilson, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. fjwilson

    fjwilson Guest

    My mother's computer (Win XP)has gotten a downloader trojan virus on
    it. I have taken steps advised by Norton, and it hasn't helped.
    They have consisted of the following:

    1. Kept virus definitions up to date.
    2. Rebooted computer into safe mode.
    3. used NAV to locate and attempt to Quarentine virus, if not
    possible, then to delete virus.
    4. Performed a second system-wide scan to make sure that the virus was
    gone.

    Did all of this, then, as soon as I get online, and the browser is
    activated, I get a little window and a promt to download something
    from a remote website. I always click no.

    It does a good of of gumming up the browser.
    Have also attempted a manual delete while in safe mode. Has shown it
    as gone, but has always returned.
    Funny, I can only use the search utility while in safe mode, not in
    regular mode.(This may be a separate issue.)

    What do I do now, guys?
    Thanks in advance.

    fjwilson, Nov 7, 2003

  2. fjwilson

    Jeremy Guest

    fjwilson wrote:

    > My mother's computer (Win XP)has gotten a downloader trojan virus on
    > it. I have taken steps advised by Norton, and it hasn't helped.
    > They have consisted of the following:
    >
    > 1. Kept virus definitions up to date.
    > 2. Rebooted computer into safe mode.
    > 3. used NAV to locate and attempt to Quarentine virus, if not
    > possible, then to delete virus.
    > 4. Performed a second system-wide scan to make sure that the virus was
    > gone.
    >
    > Did all of this, then, as soon as I get online, and the browser is
    > activated, I get a little window and a promt to download something
    > from a remote website. I always click no.
    >
    > It does a good of of gumming up the browser.
    > Have also attempted a manual delete while in safe mode. Has shown it
    > as gone, but has always returned.
    > Funny, I can only use the search utility while in safe mode, not in
    > regular mode.(This may be a separate issue.)>
    > What do I do now, guys?
    > Thanks in advance.

    First, download a firewall, zone alarm has a free version. It will stop
    the trojan dialing out.

    Then go to <http://www.simplysup.com/> and download the free trial
    version and run it.

    Jeremy, Nov 7, 2003

  3. fjwilson

    Guest

    Thank you, Jeremy. I will download and install both programs and let
    you know how it turns out under this same thread.
    I am much obliged.
    fjwilson

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 03:04:48 -0600, Jeremy <>
    wrote:

    >fjwilson wrote:
    >>
    >> My mother's computer (Win XP)has gotten a downloader trojan virus on
    >> it. I have taken steps advised by Norton, and it hasn't helped.
    >> They have consisted of the following:
    >>
    >> 1. Kept virus definitions up to date.
    >> 2. Rebooted computer into safe mode.
    >> 3. used NAV to locate and attempt to Quarentine virus, if not
    >> possible, then to delete virus.
    >> 4. Performed a second system-wide scan to make sure that the virus was
    >> gone.
    >>
    >> Did all of this, then, as soon as I get online, and the browser is
    >> activated, I get a little window and a promt to download something
    >> from a remote website. I always click no.
    >>
    >> It does a good of of gumming up the browser.
    >> Have also attempted a manual delete while in safe mode. Has shown it
    >> as gone, but has always returned.
    >> Funny, I can only use the search utility while in safe mode, not in
    >> regular mode.(This may be a separate issue.)>
    >> What do I do now, guys?
    >> Thanks in advance.

    >First, download a firewall, zone alarm has a free version. It will stop
    >the trojan dialing out.
    >
    >Then go to <http://www.simplysup.com/> and download the free trial
    >version and run it.

    , Nov 7, 2003
  4. fjwilson

    Guest

    Jeremy:
    Went and downloaded both programs. Installed Zonealarm, and it
    wouldn't keep it from doing anything. And, when I installed Trojan
    remover, it initially detected one file that was a trojan, but after
    it was removed, the "trojan window" kept popping up, asking for
    permission to download a file. After it popping up 2 dozen time, I
    accidently hit the "OK" button instead of the "cancel" button, and it
    donwloaded some file and installed it; now, the computer cannot even
    access the Internet via OUtlook Express, or even through Dial-up
    networking.

    I have gone to the techguy.org website, and took a program called
    "Hijack this!" that creates a log of files that are critical to the
    browser: I have sent the results to the website for analysis.

    I am out of ideas, except for completely reinstalling windows XP, a
    hard thing to do given that the computer is an HP from Walmart, and
    came with no restore Disk.

    wrote:

    >fjwilson wrote:
    >>
    >> My mother's computer (Win XP)has gotten a downloader trojan virus on
    >> it. I have taken steps advised by Norton, and it hasn't helped.
    >> They have consisted of the following:
    >>
    >> 1. Kept virus definitions up to date.
    >> 2. Rebooted computer into safe mode.
    >> 3. used NAV to locate and attempt to Quarentine virus, if not
    >> possible, then to delete virus.
    >> 4. Performed a second system-wide scan to make sure that the virus was
    >> gone.
    >>
    >> Did all of this, then, as soon as I get online, and the browser is
    >> activated, I get a little window and a promt to download something
    >> from a remote website. I always click no.
    >>
    >> It does a good of of gumming up the browser.
    >> Have also attempted a manual delete while in safe mode. Has shown it
    >> as gone, but has always returned.
    >> Funny, I can only use the search utility while in safe mode, not in
    >> regular mode.(This may be a separate issue.)>
    >> What do I do now, guys?
    >> Thanks in advance.

    >First, download a firewall, zone alarm has a free version. It will stop
    >the trojan dialing out.
    >
    >Then go to <http://www.simplysup.com/> and download the free trial
    >version and run it.

    , Nov 10, 2003