    you need to finalise DVD-RAM.

    Any suggestions?
    , May 6, 2006

  2. Phill Daniel Guest

    wrote:

    >Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD
    >recorder.
    >
    >After inserting a DVD RAM disk into my DVD drive of my dell laptop the
    >disc is not recognised. Windows XP file explorer says "please insert a
    >disk".
    >
    >On Nero drive info it shows that the DVD drive in my computer is
    >capable of reading DVD-RAM disks.
    >
    >The disk cannot be finalised on the Panasonic DVD unit - I don't think
    >you need to finalise DVD-RAM.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Unsure what the actual issue is, however have you tried a program such as
    ISOBUSTER which allows you to browse CD's / DVD's even if they havent been
    finalised.

    Another thing.. InCD might need to be installed as the DVD-RAM format can be
    used as Hard disk with reading / writing like one.

    DVD-RAM dont need finalising! the format doesnt really support that feature.

    If you are still unsure.. can i suggest that you go into the device manager and
    confirm from there, the device manufacturer / model number and go to CDRFREAKS
    or Videohelp.com (whatever the name) and check / confirm the drive
    capabilities.

    Phill.
    Phill Daniel, May 6, 2006

  3. Java Jive Guest

    You need:

    1) A drive that can read DVD-RAMs, not all do. As you've discovered,
    Nero InfoTool clarifies that.
    2) Drivers that can read the UDF data format of which DVD-RAM are an
    example, eg: InCD v4 or later as suggested by Phill, or the Panasonic UDF2
    driver here:
    http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/en/drive/comb/kxlcb30a/download.html
    (for a non-Panasonic drive like mine, the Panasonic-specific part of the
    installation is disabled - you can only use KXLCB30A.EXE to install UDF2).

    Java Jive, May 6, 2006
  4. root Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD
    > recorder.
    >
    > After inserting a DVD RAM disk into my DVD drive of my dell laptop the
    > disc is not recognised. Windows XP file explorer says "please insert a
    > disk".
    >
    > On Nero drive info it shows that the DVD drive in my computer is
    > capable of reading DVD-RAM disks.
    >
    > The disk cannot be finalised on the Panasonic DVD unit - I don't think
    > you need to finalise DVD-RAM.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Are you sure the drive will read DVD-RAM disks? If so, the disks written
    by the Panasonic have to be read as a UDF file system. UDF is
    different from ISO9660. Finally, files on the RAM disk are .VRO format
    which differ from .VOB files.
    root, May 7, 2006
  5. Bill's News Guest

    wrote:
    > Cannot read a DVD-RAM disk in my PC recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD
    > recorder.
    >
    > After inserting a DVD RAM disk into my DVD drive of my dell laptop
    > the
    > disc is not recognised. Windows XP file explorer says "please insert
    > disk".
    >
    > On Nero drive info it shows that the DVD drive in my computer is
    > capable of reading DVD-RAM disks.
    >
    > The disk cannot be finalised on the Panasonic DVD unit - I don't
    > think
    > you need to finalise DVD-RAM.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    This has to do with writing to DVD-RAM vs. packet writing to CD/DVD on
    a Toshiba laptop, it may or may not pertain to how DELL has
    implimented the DVD-RAM on your system. The drive installed is a
    Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S. If you have packet writing enabled, this
    may help?

    From the Toshiba laptop support site:

    Issue

    On the DVD Multi Drive you have to switch a setting in order to switch
    between writing CD-Rs or DVD-RAM discs. Also when trying to write a
    CD-R the option to "Write these files to CD" may be missing. This is
    because the drive is in DVD-RAM writing mode.

    Resolution

    To switch the drive between CD / DVD writing or DVD-RAM writing mode
    follow these steps:
    * Click on My computer from the Start Menu or the desktop to open it.
    Under the "Devices with removable storage" section, right click on the
    "DVD-RAM Drive".
    * On the pop-up menu, select Properties. (Note: on the Pop-up menu,
    "Write these files to CD" will be an available option when CD writing
    is selected, and will not be shown when DVD-RAM writing is enabled.)
    * Select the Recording tab.
    * On the Recording tab, either put a check mark in or remove it for
    "Enable CD recording on this drive". (Enable for CD/DVD disable for
    DVD-RAM.)
    * Click on OK.

    Bill's News, May 7, 2006