    Both backup (cloned) drives from previous days when all was OK act
    exactly the same!

    What the hell is going on, and how can it be fixed??
    Robert Baer, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Robert Baer

    Bill Nathan Guest

    Why do you say *sez* thats not cool.

    Bill Nathan, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Bill Nathan wrote:

    > Why do you say *sez* thats not cool.
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Have done the following testing:
    > > 1) In DOS shell, dos text editor (or COPY) to LPT1 works.
    > > 2) Printer works in Win2K.
    > > 3) In Win98SE, printer does not work, get error message that sez it is
    > > off(??). Makes no difference which printer i try: Cannon BJC-4100 or
    > > Panasonic KX-P1123.
    > > 4) Device Manager sez all is OK.
    > > 5) Used Device Manager to remove LPT1, and Settings/Printers to remove
    > > printer/driver; powered down.
    > > On power up, Win found new hardware (printer port), then the printer,
    > > asked for its CD for ptinter driver.
    > > Test print *still* did not work, same error message.
    > > Both backup (cloned) drives from previous days when all was OK act
    > > exactly the same!
    > >
    > > What the hell is going on, and how can it be fixed??

    Thank you very much for not addressing the question.
    Robert Baer, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Robert Baer

    Jerry G. Guest

    Go in to the properties of the printer driver, and see if it is set up
    properly to the port. The port number may be different than what is
    physically assumed by DOS. I have machines where I put in 2 printer ports.
    In DOS, they are seen as LPT1 and LPT2. But Windows sees them as LPT1 and
    LPT3. My serial ports came out as COM 1, 3, 4, and 5. But DOS sees them
    as COM 1, 2, 3, and 4.

    Also, check to see what you get when you try to do a test print directly in
    the troubleshooting section of the printer driver. This will verify the
    software. Obviously the printer is working, and the hardware should be okay
    as far as DOS is concerned.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 11, 2004
  5. Robert Baer

    Thor Guest

    Have you tried setting the port to SPP or standard in the BIOS? Those are
    older parallel printers if memory serves me, especially the 1123. I know
    that an old Panasonic 1624 I have will not operate on an ECP printer port
    for anything. Also, have you tried using generic windows drivers for the
    1123?

    Thor, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    "Jerry G." wrote:

    > Go in to the properties of the printer driver, and see if it is set up
    > properly to the port. The port number may be different than what is
    > physically assumed by DOS. I have machines where I put in 2 printer ports.
    > In DOS, they are seen as LPT1 and LPT2. But Windows sees them as LPT1 and
    > LPT3. My serial ports came out as COM 1, 3, 4, and 5. But DOS sees them
    > as COM 1, 2, 3, and 4.
    >
    > Also, check to see what you get when you try to do a test print directly in
    > the troubleshooting section of the printer driver. This will verify the
    > software. Obviously the printer is working, and the hardware should be okay
    > as far as DOS is concerned.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    > WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
    > Electronics http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
    >
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Have done the following testing:
    > 1) In DOS shell, dos text editor (or COPY) to LPT1 works.
    > 2) Printer works in Win2K.
    > 3) In Win98SE, printer does not work, get error message that sez it is
    > off(??). Makes no difference which printer i try: Cannon BJC-4100 or
    > Panasonic KX-P1123.
    > 4) Device Manager sez all is OK.
    > 5) Used Device Manager to remove LPT1, and Settings/Printers to remove
    > printer/driver; powered down.
    > On power up, Win found new hardware (printer port), then the printer,
    > asked for its CD for ptinter driver.
    > Test print *still* did not work, same error message.
    > Both backup (cloned) drives from previous days when all was OK act
    > exactly the same!
    >
    > What the hell is going on, and how can it be fixed??

    The LPT pointer is correct; it does not matter how i try to print when
    in Win98SE - always get the stupid error message.
    Robert Baer, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > Have you tried setting the port to SPP or standard in the BIOS? Those are
    > older parallel printers if memory serves me, especially the 1123. I know
    > that an old Panasonic 1624 I have will not operate on an ECP printer port
    > for anything. Also, have you tried using generic windows drivers for the
    > 1123?
    >
    > ..
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Have done the following testing:
    > > 1) In DOS shell, dos text editor (or COPY) to LPT1 works.
    > > 2) Printer works in Win2K.
    > > 3) In Win98SE, printer does not work, get error message that sez it is
    > > off(??). Makes no difference which printer i try: Cannon BJC-4100 or
    > > Panasonic KX-P1123.
    > > 4) Device Manager sez all is OK.
    > > 5) Used Device Manager to remove LPT1, and Settings/Printers to remove
    > > printer/driver; powered down.
    > > On power up, Win found new hardware (printer port), then the printer,
    > > asked for its CD for ptinter driver.
    > > Test print *still* did not work, same error message.
    > > Both backup (cloned) drives from previous days when all was OK act
    > > exactly the same!
    > >
    > > What the hell is going on, and how can it be fixed??

    Have not tried those variants, but there are a fewbothersome items:
    1) same problem withmy Canon BJC4100
    2) has worked for a number of years until one day it errored - but had
    worked that morning.
    Robert Baer, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Robert Baer

    mike Guest