cannot print except using wired

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Joseph Stateson, Apr 6, 2008.

  1. Vonage VWR (made by DLink), XP Pro, XP Home (two laptops), Dell 1600n
    configured for network printing.

    Internet connectivity works fine. Everything seems to work either over
    wireless or over wired connection. If both laptops are hard connected to the
    VWR router, they can print just fine on the networked 1600n. Subnet is
    192.168.15.1 for router, .192 for printer. Laptops vary from .2 thru .5
    depending on whether hardwired or wireless.

    I annot print to that network printer when using wireless with or without
    windows xp firewall. The printer control panel software (3rd party dell)
    runs just fine and I can access the printer, interogate it, etc all over the
    wireless connection so the devices all see one another. Unaccontably, the
    xp fails to print anything and the job stay in the spooler.

    I do not have this problem where I work but then it is on a domain and we
    dont use vonage stuff (nor have a dell 1600n). Maybe there is some setting
    in the VWR router I missed. This device is way out of warrantee and dlink
    does not provide firmware updates for vonage labeled stuff.

    The fact that either laptop, using wireless, can interrogate and see the
    printer using the dell program indicates that (i am guessing) there is some
    problem with how xp is doing the printing.

    Any idea on debugging this? Makes no difference if firewall is off, nor are
    there any unusual error message in the event viewer.

    --

    http:/ResearchRiders.org R1100RT
    Joseph Stateson, Apr 6, 2008

  2. Joseph Stateson

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 6, 8:54 am, "Joseph Stateson" <> wrote:
    > Vonage VWR (made by DLink), XP Pro, XP Home (two laptops), Dell 1600n
    > configured for network printing.
    >
    > Internet connectivity works fine.  Everything seems to work either over
    > wireless or over wired connection. If both laptops are hard connected to the
    > VWR router, they can print just fine on the networked 1600n.  Subnet is
    > 192.168.15.1 for router, .192 for printer.  Laptops vary from .2 thru .5
    > depending on whether hardwired or wireless.
    >
    > I  annot print to that network printer when using wireless with or without
    > windows xp firewall.  The printer control panel software (3rd party dell)
    > runs just fine and I can access the printer, interogate it, etc all over the
    > wireless connection so the devices all see one another.  Unaccontably, the
    > xp  fails to print anything and the job stay in the spooler.
    >
    >  I do not have this problem where I work but then it is on a domain and we
    > dont use vonage stuff (nor have a dell 1600n).  Maybe there is some setting
    > in the VWR router I missed.   This device is way out of warrantee and dlink
    > does not provide firmware updates for vonage labeled stuff.
    >
    > The fact that either laptop, using wireless, can interrogate and see the
    > printer using the dell program indicates that (i am guessing) there is some
    > problem with how xp is doing the printing.
    >
    > Any idea on debugging this?  Makes no difference if firewall is off, nor are
    > there any unusual error message in the event viewer.
    >
    > --
    >
    > http:/ResearchRiders.org R1100RT

    Check your anti-virus software. Some, like Norton AntiVirus, have
    Internet worm blocking module which work exactly like a firewall.
    smlunatick, Apr 6, 2008

  3. "smlunatick" <> wrote in message
    On Apr 6, 8:54 am, "Joseph Stateson" <> wrote:
    > Vonage VWR (made by DLink), XP Pro, XP Home (two laptops), Dell 1600n

    <SNIP>

    >Check your anti-virus software. Some, like Norton AntiVirus, have
    >Internet worm blocking module which work exactly like a firewall.

    Yea, I have McAfee, but not their firewall. I went and replaced the VWR
    when techsupport asked for proof I was a paying customer. that fixed the
    problem and was a lot cheaper.
    Joseph Stateson, Apr 7, 2008