    I did go to Help but it was too deep for me to understand.

    Is there something I can do or is my OS too old? I'm not very savvy about
    Real Player. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

    nettie, Jul 4, 2003

  2. nettie

    Unk Guest

    Try the old Windows Media players:
    C:\WINDOWS\mplayer.exe
    or
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"

    Unk

    Unk, Jul 4, 2003

  3. nettie

    °Mike° Guest

    Hold down the SHIFT key and right click on the file you received.
    Choose 'Open with...', and scroll down to MPlayer. Select it,
    and check the box 'Always use this program....'.

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:57:32 -0400, in
    <nf4Na.46010$>
    nettie scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jul 4, 2003
  4. nettie

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:57:32 -0400, In this world we created "nettie"
    <> wrote :

    >Hi all: I am having problems trying to play a file I received via e-mail.
    >I could open all the pictures forwarded but not this file. This is the name
    >of the file ---- prettywm1011.mid (24.6KB) and I received this message:-
    >
    >Windows Media Player error
    >Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.
    >
    >Windows Media Player does not support this file type
    >Error ID = 0x80040265, Remedy ID = 0x00000000
    >
    >I have Windows 98, and the latest Real Player for Windows 98 (7 I believe).
    >
    >I did go to Help but it was too deep for me to understand.
    >
    >Is there something I can do or is my OS too old? I'm not very savvy about
    >Real Player. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

    The file may be damaged or you may need tov remove and let windows
    re-install your sound card drivers.Try here,

    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/mmsystem.html
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jul 4, 2003
  5. nettie

    nettie Guest

    Thank you Unk, I tried it but am still getting the same message. I have
    some .mid in my "library" and they play ok, so I have no idea why it won't
    play.

    nettie, Jul 4, 2003
  6. nettie

    nettie Guest

    Thanks Mike, when I did what you said, I did not get "Open with" but Open.
    I forwarded the file to my niece and she has Windows Millennium and she got
    the same message. I will have to wait to hear from the sender to find out
    how she played it.

    nettie, Jul 5, 2003
  7. nettie

    °Mike° Guest

    It sounds like it could be corrupt midi file. If the original
    sender has no trouble playing it, ask her/him to re-send it.
    You could also try updating DirectX.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.asp

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:28:09 -0400, in
    <mGqNa.49218$>