    other based on the IP, it times out. Any ideas on why they cannot see each
    other would be appreciated.

    Jack
    Jack D, Dec 9, 2007

  2. Jack D <> wrote:
    > I have a wiresless laptop and a desktop. The desktop is connected to
    > the cable modem. The modem is connected to the Router. Linksys
    > WRT54G. Both machines have access to the internet. When I ping off
    > either PC to the other based on the IP, it times out. Any ideas on
    > why they cannot see each other would be appreciated.
    >
    > Jack

    Probably the windows firewall - there are exceptions for file/print sharing
    & for ICMP (ping) if you want to network.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Dec 10, 2007

  3. On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 16:22:00 -0600, "Jack D" <> wrote:
    >I have a wiresless laptop and a desktop. The desktop is connected to the
    >cable modem. The modem is connected to the Router. Linksys WRT54G. Both
    >machines have access to the internet. When I ping off either PC to the
    >other based on the IP, it times out. Any ideas on why they cannot see each
    >other would be appreciated.
    >
    >Jack

    Is the desktop really connected to the cable modem? If so, disconnect
    the desktop from the cable modem and connect the desktop to the
    router.

    With both computers connected to the router (using either wired or
    wireless connections), they should be able to ping each other by their
    IP addresses, which are probably something like 192.168.1.x.

    Make sure that the firewall on each computer is configured to allow
    access by other computers on the local area network.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd, Dec 11, 2007
  4. Steve Winograd <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 16:22:00 -0600, "Jack D" <> wrote:
    >> I have a wiresless laptop and a desktop. The desktop is connected
    >> to the cable modem. The modem is connected to the Router. Linksys
    >> WRT54G. Both machines have access to the internet. When I ping off
    >> either PC to the other based on the IP, it times out. Any ideas on
    >> why they cannot see each other would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Jack

    > Is the desktop really connected to the cable modem? If so, disconnect
    > the desktop from the cable modem and connect the desktop to the
    > router.

    ah, good catch - I didn't notice that.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Dec 11, 2007
  5. Jack D

    Jack D Guest

    Thank you for the response.

    I had done that before and it worked. Because its my daughters place, I
    connected her desktop to the cable modem to avoid problems with the router.
    I tried it with both firewalls off and still no luck. I think the router is
    acting as a hardware firewall so I might check the settings to allow my
    wireless to have access.

    Once again thanks
    Jack

    Jack D, Dec 11, 2007
  6. On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:11:08 -0600, "Jack D" <> wrote:
    >"Steve Winograd" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 16:22:00 -0600, "Jack D" <> wrote:
    >>>I have a wiresless laptop and a desktop. The desktop is connected to the
    >>>cable modem. The modem is connected to the Router. Linksys WRT54G. Both
    >>>machines have access to the internet. When I ping off either PC to the
    >>>other based on the IP, it times out. Any ideas on why they cannot see
    >>>each
    >>>other would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Jack

    >> Is the desktop really connected to the cable modem? If so, disconnect
    >> the desktop from the cable modem and connect the desktop to the
    >> router.
    >>
    >> With both computers connected to the router (using either wired or
    >> wireless connections), they should be able to ping each other by their
    >> IP addresses, which are probably something like 192.168.1.x.
    >>
    >> Make sure that the firewall on each computer is configured to allow
    >> access by other computers on the local area network.

    >Thank you for the response.
    >
    >I had done that before and it worked. Because its my daughters place, I
    >connected her desktop to the cable modem to avoid problems with the router.
    >I tried it with both firewalls off and still no luck. I think the router is
    >acting as a hardware firewall so I might check the settings to allow my
    >wireless to have access.
    >
    >Once again thanks
    >Jack

    You're welcome, Jack. I don't know how the computers could possibly
    see each other with one of them connected to the cable modem and the
    other one connected to the router.

    What router problems were you were trying to avoid with that setup?
    Everything should work fine with both computers connected to the
    router. A typical home router doesn't prevent the attached comptuers
    from seeing each other. The router's firewall only prevents other
    people on the Internet from seeing your computers.

    Steve Winograd, Dec 11, 2007
  7. Jack D

    Jack D Guest

    Re: Cannot ping off laptop.

    Steve
    I had a situation that there was a conflict with IP addresses. If the
    desktop was connected to the router it did not have internet access. I got
    access when I plugged the desktop to the cable modem.

    The problem with the conflict had to be resolved by releasing the address
    via a DOS ipconfig command and some re-assignments of IP addresses to the
    router. My daughter is not a techie so I left hers plugged into the cable
    modem.

    Thanks for your interest

    Jack D, Dec 12, 2007
  8. Re: Cannot ping off laptop.

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:29:51 -0600, "Jack D" <> wrote:

    >>>Thank you for the response.
    >>>
    >>>I had done that before and it worked. Because its my daughters place, I
    >>>connected her desktop to the cable modem to avoid problems with the
    >>>router.
    >>>I tried it with both firewalls off and still no luck. I think the router
    >>>is
    >>>acting as a hardware firewall so I might check the settings to allow my
    >>>wireless to have access.
    >>>
    >>>Once again thanks
    >>>Jack

    >> You're welcome, Jack. I don't know how the computers could possibly
    >> see each other with one of them connected to the cable modem and the
    >> other one connected to the router.
    >>
    >> What router problems were you were trying to avoid with that setup?
    >> Everything should work fine with both computers connected to the
    >> router. A typical home router doesn't prevent the attached comptuers
    >> from seeing each other. The router's firewall only prevents other
    >> people on the Internet from seeing your computers.

    >Steve
    >I had a situation that there was a conflict with IP addresses. If the
    >desktop was connected to the router it did not have internet access. I got
    >access when I plugged the desktop to the cable modem.
    >
    >The problem with the conflict had to be resolved by releasing the address
    >via a DOS ipconfig command and some re-assignments of IP addresses to the
    >router. My daughter is not a techie so I left hers plugged into the cable
    >modem.
    >
    >Thanks for your interest
    >Jack

    You're welcome, Jack. There are things in this setup I don't
    understand:

    1. You should be able to connect multiple computers to the router,
    without any IP address conflicts, by configuring all of the computers
    to obtain an IP address automatically.

    2. I don't know how two computers could possibly see each other with

    Steve Winograd, Dec 13, 2007