    We are running windows XP Pro on IBM thinkpad usual stuff 512 MB of ram and intel centrino processor 60 gig hard drive.
    Anyone have any suggestions what may be causing this problem?

    :wave: Thank you in advance all help is appreciated.. :ciao:

    madmunk592, Aug 9, 2006

  2. madmunk592

    phonzie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Hi MADMUNK592

    Have you ever thought of turning "OFF" your "WINDOWS FIREWALL"....

    Function path:
    START - CONTROL PANEL - WINDOWS FIREFALL

    Under the "General" Tab select "OFF (not recommended)"

    Click "OK" to save settings, then try to ping again.

    OR

    If you want to leave the "WINDOWS FIREWALL" active you can make an exception by allowing only your IP Address to ping the system...

    Function path:
    START - CONTROL PANEL - WINDOWS FIREFALL

    Under the "General" Tab, check if the "WINDOWS FIREWALL" is set to
    "On (recommended)", make sure that the
    "Don't allow exceptions" check box is NOT ticked.

    Goto - "Exceptions" Tab

    Tick check Box - "UPnP Framework"

    Select the "Edit" button

    Tick check Box - "TCP 2869"

    Select button "Change Scope"

    Select radio button "Custom List"

    Add your IP Address

    Click "OK" to save settings
    Continue to click "OK" untill you have left the "WINDOWS FIREWALL" function screens.

    I hope this will be a solution for you....

    Regards

    Phonzie

    phonzie, Aug 11, 2006

  3. madmunk592

    madmunk592

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Thanks for your help, this has helped. I performed the second option.. I did not want to turn off the firewall..

    madmunk592, Aug 11, 2006
  4. madmunk592

    phonzie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Any Time....

    Cheers

    Phonzie

    phonzie, Aug 22, 2006
  5. madmunk592

    aryajur

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Still not solved

    Hello,
    I am facing the same problem, I have tried diabling the firewall even adding the exceptions. But it still doesn't respond to the ping. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    aryajur, Mar 26, 2008
  6. madmunk592

    muppydoddle

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I had the same problem where I could not ping a particular PC. I found that I had a 3rd party firewall running that was blocking incoming network traffic. In my case, McAfee Security Suite was corrupted and I could not even get to the firewall - so I uninstalled it. After uninstalling McAfee, I was able to ping the PC. I, then, reinstall McAfee and I was still able to ping. Digging into my new McAfee installation, I found, by default, that McAfee "Trusted" the IP range of my local(home) network.

    I concluded that, due to the corruption of my orginal McAfee install, the firewall in McAfee was blocking all incoming network traffic.

    Hope this helps. I tried posting a replay, yesterday, but did not see it today. I am a new member, so, that may explain it. I hope it doesn't get duplicated.

    muppydoddle, Apr 1, 2008