Cannot ping at differnet times of the day on my wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UmVjb24=?=, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. Hi

    I'm almost a CCNA and I cant answer this question or figure out what's
    wrong, I'm hoping someone who had experienced this problem will have a clue
    of whats causing it. I have a Linksys WRT54G with the latest firmware
    installed. 5 Computers are connected to it, one is connected by ethernet. The
    other 4 by wireless ofcourse. All NIC cards are up to date with the latest
    drivers. I just have a really strange issue, at different times of the day I
    can't ping the PC which is in the dinning room. The dinning room does have a
    heavy interferance from the outside HOWEVER, the interfernce from the outside
    access point does not break the connection(between the pc and my ap). If i go
    over to that pc physically and ping from there, I get a response for any pc.
    It's just mind-boggling, is this a bug in windows xp sp2? They're set to
    recieve their IP addresses automatically, thats the only PC on the network
    that has that issue. Windows firewall disabled, no third party firewalls
    installed. Kaspersky antivirus is installed. I really cant figure this out
    but I'm guessin that somehow the interference is doing some black voodoo...
    Also at certain times, for an unknown reason, two masters browsers become
    present on the network, now I would understand that would cause a problem if
    I'm pinging a netbios machine name, but to not get a response when pinging
    the ip address directly that's just wrong. Your help will be of GREAT
    appreciation!
    P.S: the pinging problem is a temporary issue that seems to go away by
    itself, if i wait for about 2 - 5 min it will start responding, but being a
    person who likes a rock-solid stable network this is unacceptable, especially
    whent the load on the network is very mineute.
    =?Utf-8?B?UmVjb24=?=, Jan 12, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UmVjb24=?=

    Frankster Guest

    Set up a constant ping (i.e. ping machinename -t). If you get widely
    varying return times over a period of time, you probably have a hardware
    problem (radio interference, wire, connector, wi-fi card, network card,
    driver issue, etc.) rather than a setup and configuration issue.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Re: Cannot ping at differnet times of the day on my wireless netwo

    Thank you for the response frank, I did setup a constant ping to the
    machinename for about 10 min. The Ping was stable at 1ms for the most part
    the only peak was about 17ms which is perfectly fine. This is what's making
    this issue so bizzare, I'm actually starting to wonder wether my
    communication is being jammed (the military in lebanon does operate on the
    2.4ghz band, there also happens to be a high powered access point on the
    building facing mine, also the cordless phone is using the 2.4ghz however, my
    ap is setup on channel 11 and the AP that's being seen by my pc is using
    channel 3, i tried to set it as far as possible because i believe every
    channel has an 11mhz spacing. Anyhow, guess this will remain a mystery..)

    Thank you for the response frank.
    I hope someone could find a cause to this.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVjb24=?=, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Re: Cannot ping at differnet times of the day on my wireless netwo

    Hi Frank,

    I just thought I'd note this, even though that 1 pc will stop responding, if
    I go over there, it does have internet access and I'm able to ping any PC
    from it. After pinging any PC from it, if i attempt to ping it back from any
    other pc IT RESPONDS! This is truely mind-boggling, the ping rate is constant
    at 1ms(only jumps were very rare and at 10ms or less). I should probably
    contact SMC (the manufacturer) I'm really all out of ideas.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVjb24=?=, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Re: Cannot ping at differnet times of the day on my wireless netwo

    Hate to be triple posting but I forgot to mention, when the pc doesnt respond
    from any pc i thought hey try from the web-interface of the router.
    Surprisingly or is it, the pc did not even respond to the WRT54G (which has
    latest correct firmware installed), release/renew or "repairing" do fix this
    problem but this is not the way it should be... ARGH I got a headache. I sure
    hope i wont experience such utterly bizzare issues when I practice my ccna,
    ill be jobless heh.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVjb24=?=, Jan 12, 2006