    Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?

    Thanks,
    Tim.

    Tiny Tim, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Tiny Tim

    Mr Floppy Guest

    Make up your fucking mind, and then get back to us, you ****-bubble.

    --
    You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know.
    Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that.

    Mr Floppy, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Tiny Tim wrote:
    > My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
    > can tell, except when I right click My Computer and select Properties the
    > machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box. So I am
    > unable to change performance settings, for example, or disable/enable System
    > Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to upset the machine. I can
    > get into Manage, for example, and Properties works fine for each
    > drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up
    > nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
    >
    > Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim.

    So it *isn't* behaving itself in all respects then!

    What happens when you log in as User instead of admin?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Tiny Tim wrote:
    >> My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
    >> can tell, *except* when I right click My Computer and select Properties
    >> the machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box.
    >> So I am unable to change performance settings, for example, or
    >> disable/enable System Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to
    >> upset the machine. I can get into Manage, for example, and Properties
    >> works fine for each drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and
    >> that turned up nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tim.

    > So it *isn't* behaving itself in all respects then!
    >
    > What happens when you log in as User instead of admin?

    Forgive me - I thought the use of the word "except" was a clear indication
    that there was something not quite right. I was simply highlighting that the
    machine was not on the verge of total system collapse. It's actually a
    fairly recent build and pretty clean with only Win XP, Office 2003 and a few
    tried and tested utilities installed.

    Anyway, I just created a new "limited user" account and that was able to
    bring up My Computer - Properties. I logged out and switched back to an
    admin account and upgraded the new user account to an admin and now that
    won't bring up the properties page. So it looks like it's only failing for
    admins. Any more ideas?

    Tiny Tim, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Tiny Tim

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Tiny Tim <> wrote:

    > So it looks like it's only failing for admins. Any
    > more ideas?

    Yes. **** off and die. You are a fucktard because you have pre-empted the
    cause without checking if the same happens in a new admin account, you
    fucking useless cuntflap.

    Brian H¹©, Mar 31, 2005
  6. Tiny Tim

    Lookout Guest

    Lonely little **** ain't you?

    Lookout, Mar 31, 2005
  7. Tiny Tim

    Mr Floppy Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > Lonely little **** ain't you?

    Why is there so much pain in life, I try so hard, I have tried to be the
    best person I can and have ended up so much in pain that I do not know
    what I am doing.

    All I want is love, Is this hard to ask ?

    I have spent the last 5 years hoping that things will change, hoping
    that somebody would come along who was different, who did not use me
    like an old shoe as I had soft feelings and deep emotions. Why, Why, Why
    must I suffer because other people tread the road of evil and
    destruction which is the easiest road.

    I am not ugly, and am very caring, I have good prospects yet I have
    become so reserved, so totally alone that I have no self confidence or
    self respect. I have done silly things before trying to purge myself,
    blaming myself as oviously I thought it was my fault. Why do people not
    love me.

    I have tried suicide a few times and know that next time I will suceed
    if I try. I am on edge and only want some peace of mind.

    I apologise for making anybody read this sad, It is not my intention,
    only to get out in the open the pain and frustration I feel. I am not
    religious and WILL never be so as I believe religion comes from inside
    and not outside.

    Nope, hang on......Forget all that shit, it was just gas.

    Go **** yourself, shit for brains.

    Mr Floppy, Mar 31, 2005
  8. Tiny Tim

    Parko Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:37:50 +0100, Tiny Tim wrote:

    > My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
    > can tell, except when I right click My Computer and select Properties the
    > machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box. So I am
    > unable to change performance settings, for example, or disable/enable System
    > Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to upset the machine. I can
    > get into Manage, for example, and Properties works fine for each
    > drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up
    > nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
    >
    > Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim.

    Ignoring the head cases, you could try: sfc /scannow
    http://tinyurl.com/26h3
    Just make sure you have a WinXP install disc handy.

    Parko, Mar 31, 2005
  9. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:37:50 +0100, Tiny Tim wrote:
    >
    >> My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
    >> can tell, except when I right click My Computer and select Properties the
    >> machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box. So I
    >> am
    >> unable to change performance settings, for example, or disable/enable
    >> System
    >> Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to upset the machine. I
    >> can
    >> get into Manage, for example, and Properties works fine for each
    >> drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up
    >> nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tim.

    > Ignoring the head cases, you could try: sfc /scannow
    > http://tinyurl.com/26h3
    > Just make sure you have a WinXP install disc handy.

    Thanks for that. I did try that earlier but it bombed on the second CD (I'm
    actually running Win XP MCE 2005). I assume the first disk - XP OS rather
    than MCE additional stuff - worked OK but it didn't fix the problem

    Tiny Tim, Mar 31, 2005
  10. Tiny Tim

    Guest Guest

    "Tiny Tim" <> wrote in message
    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Tiny Tim wrote:
    >>> My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far
    >>> as I can tell, *except* when I right click My Computer and select
    >>> Properties the machine thinks for a moment but does not display the
    >>> Properties box. So I am unable to change performance settings, for
    >>> example, or disable/enable System Restore. I'm not aware of having
    >>> done anything to upset the machine. I can get into Manage, for
    >>> example, and Properties works fine for each drive/partition. I have
    >>> run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up nothing. I am logged in
    >>> as an Admin.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Tim.

    >> So it *isn't* behaving itself in all respects then!
    >>
    >> What happens when you log in as User instead of admin?

    > Forgive me - I thought the use of the word "except" was a clear
    > indication that there was something not quite right. I was simply
    > highlighting that the machine was not on the verge of total system
    > collapse. It's actually a fairly recent build and pretty clean with
    > only Win XP, Office 2003 and a few tried and tested utilities
    > installed.
    >
    > Anyway, I just created a new "limited user" account and that was able
    > to bring up My Computer - Properties. I logged out and switched back
    > to an admin account and upgraded the new user account to an admin and
    > now that won't bring up the properties page. So it looks like it's
    > only failing for admins. Any more ideas?

    Some of those "tried and tested utilities" may add a panel to the
    Properties dialog window but are screwing up. Since one of the tab
    panels cannot be displayed, the Properties dialog cannot be loaded.
    Since you make it sound like there isn't much installed on Windows yet,
    uninstall those utilities and the Properties dialog might then appear
    (be sure to do a reboot after each uninstall since sometimes they leave
    a pending file rename/delete in the registry that gets executed on a
    reboot that the uninstall never informs you about). If that doesn't
    work, you might end up having to do an in-place upgrade of Windows
    (i.e., a repair; see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315341, method 2)
    in an attempt to step atop of whatever stepped on it.

    Guest, Mar 31, 2005
  11. Tiny Tim

    Laban Mott Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:38:42 +0100, "Tiny Tim" <>
    wrote:

    >"Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Tiny Tim wrote:
    >>> My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
    >>> can tell, *except* when I right click My Computer and select Properties
    >>> the machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box.
    >>> So I am unable to change performance settings, for example, or
    >>> disable/enable System Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to
    >>> upset the machine. I can get into Manage, for example, and Properties
    >>> works fine for each drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and
    >>> that turned up nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?

    One thing that will cause this is using a shortcut to my computer on
    the desktop. If it is a shortcut go to task bar , right click , click
    on properties and navigate to customize start menu. Make sure show my
    computer on desktop is ticked.

    Laban Mott, Mar 31, 2005
  12. Tiny Tim

    trout Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > Lonely little **** ain't you?

    He doesn't *seem* to be. In fact, he has pretty good luck in finding
    people dopey enough to reply-to and repost his trolls.
    --
    Could I wrap that hint around a brick for you?

    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:25:58 +0930, Mr Floppy

    [wiggled out of a thousand killfiles yet again]

    trout, Mar 31, 2005
  13. Tiny Tim

    Jana Guest

    Something to try, to see if it will fix your problem. I have had this
    before, and the description below, fixed my problem.

    Make sure you are logged on as the user with the fault.

    Start Windows Explorer. Click on Tools, Folder Options, File Types, and
    inside of the scroll-box window, select Folder. You may see something like,
    "(NONE) Folder". Highlight this folder. With this highlighted, click on
    Advanced. You should get a box that says on the top, "Edit File Type".
    Highlight, "open", and set this as the default. Then make sure that there is
    a check mark on "Confirm Open After Download". The prompt, "Always Show
    Extension", should normally not be checked. To go out, click on OK to work
    your way out.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Jana, Apr 1, 2005
  14. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    Thanks to those of you with some helpful advice to offer. I decided in the
    end to reinstall Windows as the problem was on my spare laptop that I just
    use for surfing and email when lounging in bed so not much configuration to
    do. I really must make a Ghost backup to my Data partition once it's
    rebuilt.

    Cheers,
    Tim.

    "Jana" <> wrote in message
    > Something to try, to see if it will fix your problem. I have had this
    > before, and the description below, fixed my problem.
    >
    > Make sure you are logged on as the user with the fault.
    >
    > Start Windows Explorer. Click on Tools, Folder Options, File Types, and
    > inside of the scroll-box window, select Folder. You may see something
    > like,
    > "(NONE) Folder". Highlight this folder. With this highlighted, click on
    > Advanced. You should get a box that says on the top, "Edit File Type".
    > Highlight, "open", and set this as the default. Then make sure that there
    > is
    > a check mark on "Confirm Open After Download". The prompt, "Always Show
    > Extension", should normally not be checked. To go out, click on OK to work
    > your way out.
    >

    > --
    >
    > JANA
    > _____
    >

    > "Tiny Tim" <> wrote in message
    > My laptop, running Win XP, is behaving itself in all respects as far as I
    > can tell, except when I right click My Computer and select Properties the
    > machine thinks for a moment but does not display the Properties box. So I
    > am
    > unable to change performance settings, for example, or disable/enable
    > System
    > Restore. I'm not aware of having done anything to upset the machine. I can
    > get into Manage, for example, and Properties works fine for each
    > drive/partition. I have run a virus scan (NOD32) and that turned up
    > nothing. I am logged in as an Admin.
    >
    > Any ideas how to get My Computer - Properties back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim.

    Thanks to those of you with some helpful advice to offer. I decided in the
    end to reinstall Windows as the problem was on my spare laptop that I just
    use for surfing and email when lounging in bed so not much configuration to
    do. I really must make a Ghost backup to my Data partition once it's
    rebuilt. Then it'll be a five minute job if it goes tits up in the future.

    Cheers,
    Tim.

    Tiny Tim, Apr 1, 2005
  15. Tiny Tim

    DRoCkA Guest

    have you tried control panel > (double click) system ?

    Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 RC2
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    DRoCkA, Apr 1, 2005
  16. Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Tiny Tim <> wrote:
    >

    >>So it looks like it's only failing for admins. Any
    >>more ideas?

    > Yes. **** off and die. You are a fucktard because you have pre-empted the
    > cause without checking if the same happens in a new admin account, you
    > fucking useless cuntflap.

    Comcast?
    Outlook Express?

    Yeah, like I believe *I* posted that.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Apr 1, 2005
  17. Tiny Tim

    trout Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >
    >> Tiny Tim <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> So it looks like it's only failing for admins. Any
    >>> more ideas?

    >> Yes. **** off and die. You are a fucktard because you have
    >> pre-empted the cause without checking if the same happens in a new
    >> admin account, you fucking useless cuntflap.
    >>

    > Comcast?
    > Outlook Express?
    >
    > Yeah, like I believe *I* posted that.

    You must be exhausted after swimming home so quickly.
    --
    That'll learn 'ya.

    trout, Apr 1, 2005
  18. Tiny Tim

    Lookout Guest

    I could say 'calling the kettle black' but I won't. It might embarrass
    you.

    Lookout, Apr 2, 2005
  19. Tiny Tim

    trout Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > I could say 'calling the kettle black' but I won't. It might embarrass
    > you.

    Once again, you are either a liar, or simply dimwitted. Show me a
    troll that I've reposted.
    --
    (Unless you're counting yourself.)

    trout, Apr 3, 2005