    what has gone wrong.
    hope someone can shed some light on the matter
    thanks in advance

    ADRIAN COLEMAN, Jul 9, 2004

  2. ADRIAN COLEMAN

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message <MOCHc.4$>, ADRIAN COLEMAN
    <> writes
    >hi i'm new to the group and have a big problem.
    >i have saved all of my digital photos to a dvd+rw disc

    OK. This is a risky choice for archives. Most times you will get away
    with it, but packet writing to RW disks leaves open a whole bunch of
    ways to lose data irrevocably.

    >and for some reason i
    >cannot open them on the pc.i also have them saved on a cdr.

    That is more surprising, but again there are ways to leave the disk open
    for multiple sessions that expose potential data loss. There are
    programs around that can read back old sessions even when recent
    additions have damaged the directory information.

    I would suspect in this case that they may have been damaged before they
    were written to the CD.

    >If i copy them to
    >the hard drive i still cant view them.If i try to preview them in windows
    >picture viewer it sayss no preview available.

    Now that is *really* bad news. Most damaged JPEGs will still preview OK
    even when the main high quality image has been completely trashed. It
    usually takes a catastrophic failure to damage the header preview.

    >I have photoshop elements2 on
    >the pc and when i try to open them i get 2 messages. one is could not open
    >E:\.......dsc0043jpg because a jpeg marker segment length is too short(the
    >file maybe truncated or incomplete.
    >Another message is could not open E:\......dscoo76jpg because an unknown or
    >invalid jpeg marker is found.

    Never use Adobe anything to try and read corrupted JPEGs the best you
    can hope for is an unhelpful error message. And it will fail totally
    even if just one extra byte is added to the start of the file. Your best
    bet is one of the web browsers or something using the IJG codec which
    are much more tolerant of bad data and will at least show you what they
    can decode.

    >All of my pics are saved in jpeg format and my operating system is xp home.
    >ive viewed these pictures previously with no problem so cannot understand
    >what has gone wrong.
    >hope someone can shed some light on the matter
    >thanks in advance

    You could try one or other of the media recovery programs on it, but
    from your description the images are already well beyond all hope of
    economic recovery (and possibly beyond hope of uneconomic recovery too).

    Try ZIP encoding a few of these files. If they will compress by more
    than 10% it is almost certain that they are totally wrecked.

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 10, 2004

  3. In article <MOCHc.4$>,
    "ADRIAN COLEMAN" <> wrote:

    > hi i'm new to the group and have a big problem.
    > i have saved all of my digital photos to a dvd+rw disc and for some reason i
    > cannot open them on the pc.i also have them saved on a cdr.If i copy them to
    > the hard drive i still cant view them.If i try to preview them in windows
    > picture viewer it sayss no preview available.I have photoshop elements2 on
    > the pc and when i try to open them i get 2 messages. one is could not open
    > E:\.......dsc0043jpg because a jpeg marker segment length is too short(the
    > file maybe truncated or incomplete.
    > Another message is could not open E:\......dscoo76jpg because an unknown or
    > invalid jpeg marker is found.
    >
    > All of my pics are saved in jpeg format and my operating system is xp home.
    > ive viewed these pictures previously with no problem so cannot understand
    > what has gone wrong.
    > hope someone can shed some light on the matter
    > thanks in advance

    If you have viewed the images from those CDR and/or DVD+RW, but now they
    have all gone bad, I suggest trying to open them with another computer

    The problem may not be the discs, but it may be the computer.
    Maybe some jpeg library in the Windows operating system is messing
    things up.

    --

    Wouter F. Wessels
    Gouda, the Netherlands

    Wouter Wessels, Aug 9, 2004
  4. ADRIAN COLEMAN

    Crownfield Guest

    Wouter Wessels wrote:

    > In article <MOCHc.4$>,
    > "ADRIAN COLEMAN" <> wrote:
    >
    > > hi i'm new to the group and have a big problem.
    > > i have saved all of my digital photos to a dvd+rw disc and for some reason i
    > > cannot open them on the pc.i also have them saved on a cdr.If i copy them to
    > > the hard drive i still cant view them.If i try to preview them in windows
    > > picture viewer it sayss no preview available.I have photoshop elements2 on
    > > the pc and when i try to open them i get 2 messages. one is could not open
    > > E:\.......dsc0043jpg because a jpeg marker segment length is too short(the
    > > file maybe truncated or incomplete.
    > > Another message is could not open E:\......dscoo76jpg because an unknown or
    > > invalid jpeg marker is found.
    > >
    > > All of my pics are saved in jpeg format and my operating system is xp home.
    > > ive viewed these pictures previously with no problem so cannot understand
    > > what has gone wrong.
    > > hope someone can shed some light on the matter
    > > thanks in advance

    > If you have viewed the images from those CDR and/or DVD+RW, but now they
    > have all gone bad, I suggest trying to open them with another computer
    >
    > The problem may not be the discs, but it may be the computer.
    > Maybe some jpeg library in the Windows operating system is messing
    > things up.

    run a really good antivirus.
    jpg files are easy targets for a virus.

    Crownfield, Aug 10, 2004
  5. ADRIAN COLEMAN

    PJW

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I am having exaclty the same problem...

    Most of the suggested solutions are helpful but are not really the case. I just installed a new hard drive and reinstalled my win home ed that came with the computer, I backed up my files to cd. used elements 20 to create them and now can not view them. How do we fix this problem? Inquiring minds wanna know.

    PJ

    PJW, Aug 3, 2006