    Zone Alarm install,

    Thanks in advance
    Paul

    PJD, Aug 23, 2004

  2. PJD

    madmax Guest

    PJD wrote:

    > Starting today I cannot open PDFs. No error message, MSIE just sits there.
    > When I try to close the browser, I get the standard closing error.
    >
    > Installed ZONE ALARM yesterday, Could I have caused this problem with the
    > Zone Alarm install,
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Paul

    Are you using the Pro version?
    There is a BHO for acrobat.Perhaps zone sees it as a vulnerability.
    -max
    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply by e-mail

    madmax, Aug 23, 2004

  3. PJD wrote:

    > Starting today I cannot open PDFs. No error message, MSIE just sits
    > there. When I try to close the browser, I get the standard closing
    > error.

    > Installed ZONE ALARM yesterday, Could I have caused this problem with
    > the Zone Alarm install,

    Assuming that's the *latest* ZA, that's a possibility; it's been choking
    off other legitimate software like news clients.

    And in those cases, it's been reported that disabling it doesn't help,
    and that it requires uninstalling it to get back functionality.

    An excellent and very user controllable freeware alternative: Kerio
    Personal Firewall

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Stateful Adaptive Packet Destruction Enterprise-Class Gigabit
    Intrusion Prevention System: http://snipurl.com/8j5d

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 23, 2004
  4. PJD

    SA Guest

    or they can ry cigate firewall. I can't remember the site though. Sorry.

    SA, Aug 23, 2004
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 23, 2004
  6. PJD

    WormWood Guest

    "PJD" <> wrote in message
    > Starting today I cannot open PDFs. No error message, MSIE just sits

    there.
    > When I try to close the browser, I get the standard closing error.
    >
    > Installed ZONE ALARM yesterday, Could I have caused this problem with

    the
    > Zone Alarm install,

    Open PDF files with AdobeAcrobat, it's FREE.

    WormWood, Aug 23, 2004
  7. PJD

    bill Guest

    "WormWood" <jojo@..com-de-com.com> wrote in message

    > "PJD" <> wrote in message
    > > Starting today I cannot open PDFs. No error message, MSIE just sits

    > there.
    > > When I try to close the browser, I get the standard closing error.
    > >
    > > Installed ZONE ALARM yesterday, Could I have caused this problem with

    > the
    > > Zone Alarm install,
    > >

    > Open PDF files with AdobeAcrobat, it's FREE.

    had the same problem after installing adobeacrobat ver 6 (no choice drive
    crashed). for some reason ie6 doesn't lke acrobat6. had someone got to same
    site and read the pdf i wanted, worked fine, she had acrobat 5. loaded
    netscape7 tried again worked ok. netscape may not be the greatest but it
    likes more stuff than ie so i kept it for backup browser.

    bill, Aug 23, 2004
  8. PJD

    Jamco Guest

    to work around this, just set acrobat to open files in its own window, not
    in a IE window.

    Jamco, Aug 23, 2004
  9. PJD

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "bill" <> wrote in message

    > "WormWood" <jojo@..com-de-com.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "PJD" <> wrote in message
    > > > Starting today I cannot open PDFs. No error message, MSIE just sits

    > > there.
    > > > When I try to close the browser, I get the standard closing error.
    > > >
    > > > Installed ZONE ALARM yesterday, Could I have caused this problem with

    > > the
    > > > Zone Alarm install,
    > > >

    > > Open PDF files with AdobeAcrobat, it's FREE.
    > >

    > had the same problem after installing adobeacrobat ver 6 (no choice drive
    > crashed). for some reason ie6 doesn't lke acrobat6. had someone got to

    same
    > site and read the pdf i wanted, worked fine, she had acrobat 5. loaded
    > netscape7 tried again worked ok. netscape may not be the greatest but it
    > likes more stuff than ie so i kept it for backup browser.

    if there is a previous installation of acrobat5, that must be uninstalled
    first..
    then re-install acrobat6.

    but, for the OP, if the pdf is linked from a site blocked by ZA, try
    disabling ZA and retry the link.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Aug 24, 2004
  10. PJD

    SA Guest

    Thanks. I couldn't remember the site. <smile>

    SA, Aug 27, 2004