Cannot open Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Flax, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. John Flax

    John Flax Guest

    Since downloading MS Service Packs I am no longer able to open Outlook
    Express 6 directly from the Start button. When I try to open OE the
    following error message appears:

    The host 'pop.freeserve.com' could not be found.
    Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
    Account: 'pop.freeserve.com', Server: 'pop.freeserve.com', Protocol: POP3,
    Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error No: 0x800CC0D

    I am using Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002 , Service Pack 1 and
    haven't knowingly altered any of the default settings.

    It is still possible to open OE with the Mail button on the Internet
    Explorer toolbar but this is a little inconvenient.

    Please make any help as simple as possible.

    Many thanks.

    John Flax, Nov 30, 2003

  2. John Flax

    Harrison Guest

    Try recreating the shortcut directly from the .exe file.
    "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"

    Harrison, Nov 30, 2003

  3. John Flax

    °Mike° Guest

    This is the third time you have asked this question. How
    about checking previous replies?

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:30:54 -0000, in
    <bqdd1g$j7o$>
    John Flax scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 30, 2003
  4. John Flax

    John Flax Guest

    °Mike°

    I believe it was only second time that I asked the question and in this
    later posting I attempted to answer the question in the replies to the
    first.

    Apart from your puerile and offensive comment about 'scrawling' or
    'scribbling' you simply referred me to the jargon filled:

    I had read this document before posting my original question and, if it
    contains the answer, I DID NOT UNDERSTAND IT!

    I'm sure you teacher tells you to: "Always read the question."

    You obviously missed the paragraph that said: 'Please make any help as
    simple as possible.'

    You may have noticed that the other Mickey Mouse was 75 years old last week.
    Like many of the people of a similar age, I don't understand all this
    techno-babble and just want to use my computer.

    John Flax, Dec 1, 2003
  5. John Flax

    John Flax Guest

    Thank you for your reply.

    I believe that I tried to do that before posting my original question but I
    will try to do so again.

    I may not have done this from 'msimn.exe'.

    As an old fogey I am cautious about interfering with things that I don't
    fully understand.

    John Flax, Dec 1, 2003
  6. John Flax

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 06:37:33 -0000, in
    <bqenju$6mc$>
    John Flax scrawled:

    >°Mike°
    >
    >I believe it was only second time that I asked the question

    No, it was three.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bqdd1g$j7o$
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bnh7rl$5ae$
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bq7kt7$un1$

    >and in this later posting I attempted to answer the question in
    >the replies to the first.

    Not really. You made one token effort to say: "No error messages!"
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bq80si$rsf$

    >Apart from your puerile and offensive comment about 'scrawling' or
    >'scribbling'

    That is just my follow-up introduction string. Sheesh!

    >you simply referred me to the jargon filled:
    >
    >http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    No, I didn't. That is my signature!

    >I had read this document before posting my original question and, if it
    >contains the answer, I DID NOT UNDERSTAND IT!

    It didn't, and wasn't meant to. See above.

    >I'm sure you teacher tells you to: "Always read the question."

    A school reference lame. How sad.

    >You obviously missed the paragraph that said: 'Please make any help as
    >simple as possible.'

    You obviously missed my point - READ PREVIOUS REPLIES.

    >You may have noticed that the other Mickey Mouse was 75 years old last week.

    It doesn't interest me.

    >Like many of the people of a similar age, I don't understand all this
    >techno-babble and just want to use my computer.

    What techno babble? You have asked for advice, and received
    it. What you do with that advice is up to you, but you could at
    least have the decency to read replies before asking the same
    question over and over.

    °Mike°, Dec 1, 2003
  7. John Flax

    Barry OGrady Guest