Cannot network with WinXP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pawihte@yahoo.com, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
    either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
    hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
    with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
    life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
    network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
    what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
    indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.

    The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
    I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
    take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
    itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
    after boot-up before trying to browse the network).

    I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
    Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
    firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
    over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win98).

    Some friends who normally depend on me for computer know-how
    have successfully set up their own networks with XP. One of
    them even tried his hand with my computers but failed. He
    does not have enough systematic knowledge to pinpoint the
    problem. I've checked their settings and can't find anything
    I have not tried.

    I have no third-party Windows enhancement or tweaks installed.

    I must be doing something dumb, but what ? Any suggestions
    please ?
    , Jun 19, 2006

  2. I have win xp and win 98 and in order for to get the win 98 pc to see what
    is on win xp pc i have to sign on to win 98 pc using a profile that has a
    password.

    Hope this helps!

    computer dude, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    computer dude wrote:
    > I have win xp and win 98 and in order for to get the win 98 pc to see what
    > is on win xp pc i have to sign on to win 98 pc using a profile that has a
    > password.
    >
    > Hope this helps!
    > <> wrote in message
    > > With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
    > > either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
    > > hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
    > > with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
    > > life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
    > > network to work.

    Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is with XP-XP.
    , Jun 19, 2006
  4. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
    > either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
    > hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
    > with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
    > life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
    > network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
    > what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
    > indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.
    >
    > The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
    > I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
    > take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
    > itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
    > after boot-up before trying to browse the network).
    >
    > I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
    > Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
    > firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
    > over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win98).
    >
    > Some friends who normally depend on me for computer know-how
    > have successfully set up their own networks with XP. One of
    > them even tried his hand with my computers but failed. He
    > does not have enough systematic knowledge to pinpoint the
    > problem. I've checked their settings and can't find anything
    > I have not tried.
    >
    > I have no third-party Windows enhancement or tweaks installed.
    >
    > I must be doing something dumb, but what ? Any suggestions
    > please ?

    You got a router involved here?

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 20, 2006
  5. On 2006-06-19, <> wrote:
    > With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
    > either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
    > hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
    > with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
    > life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
    > network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
    > what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
    > indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.
    >
    > The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
    > I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
    > take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
    > itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
    > after boot-up before trying to browse the network).
    >
    > I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
    > Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
    > firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
    > over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win98).
    >
    > Some friends who normally depend on me for computer know-how
    > have successfully set up their own networks with XP. One of
    > them even tried his hand with my computers but failed. He
    > does not have enough systematic knowledge to pinpoint the
    > problem. I've checked their settings and can't find anything
    > I have not tried.
    >
    > I have no third-party Windows enhancement or tweaks installed.
    >
    > I must be doing something dumb, but what ? Any suggestions
    > please ?

    Far be it from me to proclaim to know all... however, IPX/SPX is for Novell
    Netware and could probably be removed. NetBEUI, another non-routable
    protocol, would be handy if you had Win98 machines mixed in with your network.

    However, for WinXP computers to see each other on a network, TCP/IP is all
    that is required.

    If you open Start > Control Panel > System, then click on the Computer Name
    tab, is the name of the WORKGROUP the same on both/all computers? ...or are
    you on a Domain?

    Just guessing.
    --
    Life is short. How do you want to be remembered?
    Malware Magnet, Jun 20, 2006
  6. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > computer dude wrote:
    >
    >>I have win xp and win 98 and in order for to get the win 98 pc to see what
    >>is on win xp pc i have to sign on to win 98 pc using a profile that has a
    >>password.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps!
    >><> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
    >>>either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
    >>>hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
    >>>with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
    >>>life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
    >>>network to work.

    > Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is with XP-XP.

    I had a guy I worked with that was using a router and was sharing
    resources with XP pro machines. He never could make them network until
    he used NWlink IPX/SPX. He was computer savvy too. You may not be able
    to do it without IPX/SPX for whatever reason.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 20, 2006
  7. Dennis Guest

    wrote:
    > With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
    > either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
    > hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
    > with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
    > life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
    > network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
    > what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
    > indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.

    It could be one of a million things.. here's a few random things to
    try:

    Make sure on both computers you have three things (and these are the
    -only- three you need) 'TCP/IP' , 'Client for Microsoft Networks' ,
    'File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks'. Check those first.

    Hit your START button, hit RUN then type in \\NAME (substitute name
    for the proper name of the other PC [right click 'my computer' to check
    a PC's name]). Thats just a quick way to show you all the 'shares' on
    the other computer... Sometimes it works for me when the other comps
    arent showing up in networking folder... (Make sure you have some
    shares enabled by the way)

    Drop to command line and try pinging the other computer. Hit START then
    RUN then type in CMD for a command line. type IPCONFIG to check IP
    address. Type PING 192.168.0.101 (or whatever the other computer's IP
    address is)..... If you cant ping it then its a clue pointing towards
    1) your router 2) your firewalls 3) TCP/IP not installed properly
    Dennis, Jun 20, 2006
  8. Dennis Guest

    Dennis, Jun 20, 2006
  9. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
    >either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
    >hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
    >with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
    >life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
    >network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
    >what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
    >indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.
    >
    >The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
    >I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
    >take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
    >itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
    >after boot-up before trying to browse the network).
    >
    >I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
    >Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
    >firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
    >over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win98).
    >
    >Some friends who normally depend on me for computer know-how
    >have successfully set up their own networks with XP. One of
    >them even tried his hand with my computers but failed. He
    >does not have enough systematic knowledge to pinpoint the
    >problem. I've checked their settings and can't find anything
    >I have not tried.
    >
    >I have no third-party Windows enhancement or tweaks installed.
    >
    >I must be doing something dumb, but what ? Any suggestions
    >please ?

    Windows XP is designed to work best with TCP/IP networking. Any other
    protocol will basically be a kludge.

    Uninstall NETBeui and/or IPX/SPX from all of the computers. Reboot as
    required after the uninstalls.

    On one of the Windows XP computers use Control Panel - Network Setup
    Wizard and follow the prompts to configure that computer and to create
    a wizard disk to use on the other computers. Run the wizard disk on
    the other computers to configure them as well.

    Note that you need to assign i.p. addresses only if you do not have a
    router as part of the network, or if the router does not include a
    DHCP server. If you are assigning i.p. addresses the addresses used
    must be identical with regard to the first 3 segments and each
    computer must be unique with regard to the fourth segment. The
    network setup wizard will do this for you if you do not have a DHCP
    server (e.g. router) on the network.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Jun 20, 2006
  10. wrote:

    > With computers, I'm far from expert but not a complete novice
    > either. I'm fairly knowledgeable about hardware, but not so
    > hot on software and programming. I've set up simple networks
    > with Win98 several times without any problem, but for the
    > life of me, I've not been able to get a WinXP (Pro with SP1)
    > network to work. I installed IPX/SPX and NetBEUI for 98, but
    > what I've read about home networking with XP appears to
    > indicate that TCP/IP itself is enough.
    >
    > The only times I achieve anything resembling success are when
    > I install IPX/SPX protocol. Even then, the network computers
    > take a long time to show up. My computer can't even detect
    > itself without IPX/SPX. (I always wait for several minutes
    > after boot-up before trying to browse the network).
    >
    > I've tried doing it with and without the WinXP networking
    > Wizard. I've tried assigning static IP addresses. I disable
    > firewall in Windows and my AV PC-cillin. I enable NetBIOS
    > over TCP/IP. NIC, switch and cables are OK (tested with Win98).

    The "scientific" approach:
    - first try pinging around (you know the ip addresses, don't you?)
    If it fails in any direction, that may point to a firewall - maybe the
    router by itself - or netmask (usually 255.255.255.0 for home networks) or
    hardware.
    - Next, if that works, try
    telnet <IPofotherhosts> 445 (for XP) or 139 for netbios over tcpip,
    from a commandline.
    You should get a "connected to ..." title and no timeout.
    Close the window afterwards.
    If you can ping the host, but get timeout here, it is a
    firewall/packetfilter, or the target has no "file and print sharing" set.
    Next thing you may try is "nbtstat -A <IPofotherhost>".
    Come back with the results.

    You must have identical accounts _with_ password on all machines, identical
    workgroup name set, and use that account on the machine you want to access
    network shares with.
    The other machines just need to be turned on, no matter if/who is currently
    logged on.
    Walter Mautner, Jun 20, 2006
  11. Kenny Guest

    I'm following this post with interest because I am also having difficulty
    networking a laptop to main PC.
    Main has XP Pro/SP2, laptop XP Media Centre/SP2.
    Main connected via ethernet cable to 3Com wireless modem/router, laptop
    wireless enabled.
    Can connect to internet from both but am trying to share files both ways and
    print from laptop.
    Have run Network Setup Wizard a number of times on both, disabled XP
    firewall since I'm using Zone Alarm but so far have got nowhere.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Kenny, Jun 20, 2006
  12. Kenny Guest

    Finally got it working, the trick was getting Zone Alarm Trusted Zone set up
    with the correct IP range and subnet mask.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Jun 20, 2006
  13. Guest

    Thanks for the replies and sorry about my late reply - it
    was getting on to 4:00 am here when I made my initial post.
    And then my ISP was down for more than 24 hrs. I'll try to
    respond to your replies in one go.

    1. I'm using an 8-port switch. I've also tried without it
    using a crossover cable. Therefore no hardware firewall.
    AV firewall also disabled.

    2. I installed IPX/SPX only after I failed with just TCP/IP.

    3. There's no Win98 machine involved.

    4. I'm not on a domain and the Workgroup name is the same
    in all three computers. Each computer has a unique name.

    5. None of the computers can even detect itself without
    IPX/SPX.

    6. I have 'Client for Microsoft Networks', 'File and Print
    Sharing for Microsoft Networks' and TCP/IP installed.

    7. I don't have NetBEUI installed. I mentioned that only
    with regard to past networks with Win98.

    8. I reboot after each change. I always wait for a few
    minutes before attempting to link up.

    9. What I have NOT tried is pinging and Telnet. Will do
    that.

    10. Even with IPX/SPX, it takes a long time (half to a full
    minute) for each computer to detect the Workgroup computers,
    *including itself*. When any computer is clicked open in
    the network window, it opens normally; but when the Back
    button is clicked in Explorer, it again takes a long time
    for the workgroup computers to show up.

    Problem still not solved.
    , Jun 21, 2006