    Utility, It indicates that there are strong signals around, but I can't
    seem to connect. In the "Link Info" page , Status - it says "not
    connected". Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.

    jj9f, Dec 20, 2006

  2. jj9f

    Jim Guest

    "jj9f" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a a Netgear 54 Mbps WGR614 router hooked to my new Gateway
    > Desktop and I'm using a D-Link 802.11b wireless PC card adapter in my
    > 7-8 year old Compaq Presario 1690 laptop. I have no problem hooking up
    > at home, but cannot hook up anywhere else; my son's house, the library
    > or hotels with wireless. When I do a site survey in my D-Link Air
    > Utility, It indicates that there are strong signals around, but I can't
    > seem to connect. In the "Link Info" page , Status - it says "not
    > connected". Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.

    Perhaps there is a mismatch between the encryption scheme you are using at
    home and the ones elsewhere.
    Jim

    Jim, Dec 20, 2006

  3. jj9f

    David Hettel Guest

    Well when you do the site survey and find other networks, do you select one
    and tell your software to connect? If you're doing that, do you get an error
    message?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Dec 20, 2006
  4. jj9f

    Geppetto Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "jj9f" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a a Netgear 54 Mbps WGR614 router hooked to my new Gateway
    > > Desktop and I'm using a D-Link 802.11b wireless PC card adapter in my
    > > 7-8 year old Compaq Presario 1690 laptop. I have no problem hooking up
    > > at home, but cannot hook up anywhere else; my son's house, the library
    > > or hotels with wireless. When I do a site survey in my D-Link Air
    > > Utility, It indicates that there are strong signals around, but I can't
    > > seem to connect. In the "Link Info" page , Status - it says "not
    > > connected". Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.
    > >

    > Perhaps there is a mismatch between the encryption scheme you are using at
    > home and the ones elsewhere.
    > Jim

    Thanks Jim for your response. I'm afraid that I'm not too savy. I
    really haven't changed anything except for trying to connect. I just
    got a new laptop with interal wireless and it works fine both at home
    and out?

    Geppetto, Dec 20, 2006
  5. jj9f

    Geppetto Guest

    David Hettel wrote:
    > Well when you do the site survey and find other networks, do you select one
    > and tell your software to connect? If you're doing that, do you get an error
    > message?
    >
    > --
    > David Hettel

    > E-mail or news groups.

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    > no rights.
    >

    > "jj9f" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a a Netgear 54 Mbps WGR614 router hooked to my new Gateway
    > > Desktop and I'm using a D-Link 802.11b wireless PC card adapter in my
    > > 7-8 year old Compaq Presario 1690 laptop. I have no problem hooking up
    > > at home, but cannot hook up anywhere else; my son's house, the library
    > > or hotels with wireless. When I do a site survey in my D-Link Air
    > > Utility, It indicates that there are strong signals around, but I can't
    > > seem to connect. In the "Link Info" page , Status - it says "not
    > > connected". Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.

    Thanks Dave. No, I do not get an error message. It appears to be
    connecting. Other than not being able to get on the Internet, when I
    look at the D-Link "Status" it says "Not connected"???

    Geppetto, Dec 20, 2006
  6. Hi
    Wireless Sources (like Wireless Router) and clients (like laptop), have to
    match in Wireless parameters in order to connect.
    Public Hot Spots, usually use a default open connection with No security
    Filters On.
    Since you can Not connect in public places and you can connect at home to
    your Wireless Router, I am inclined to think that your Home connection has
    some form of security that matches between the Router and the Laptop.
    Read this page linked bellow, and your Wireless hardware manuals.
    When you understand better Wireless security you would figure it out.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 20, 2006
  7. jj9f

    Lem Guest

    jj9f wrote:
    > I have a a Netgear 54 Mbps WGR614 router hooked to my new Gateway
    > Desktop and I'm using a D-Link 802.11b wireless PC card adapter in my
    > 7-8 year old Compaq Presario 1690 laptop. I have no problem hooking up
    > at home, but cannot hook up anywhere else; my son's house, the library
    > or hotels with wireless. When I do a site survey in my D-Link Air
    > Utility, It indicates that there are strong signals around, but I can't
    > seem to connect. In the "Link Info" page , Status - it says "not
    > connected". Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.

    If you really are using an 802.11(b) adapter, your home router may be
    set to "both" or "mixed" (i.e., both 802.11(b) and 802.11(g)), and the
    other networks to which you are trying to connect may be set to
    802.11(g) only. That's most easily checked with your son's network --
    ask him, or take a look at his router's status page.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Dec 20, 2006
  8. jj9f

    Geppetto Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > jj9f wrote:
    > > I have a a Netgear 54 Mbps WGR614 router hooked to my new Gateway
    > > Desktop and I'm using a D-Link 802.11b wireless PC card adapter in my
    > > 7-8 year old Compaq Presario 1690 laptop. I have no problem hooking up
    > > at home, but cannot hook up anywhere else; my son's house, the library
    > > or hotels with wireless. When I do a site survey in my D-Link Air
    > > Utility, It indicates that there are strong signals around, but I can't
    > > seem to connect. In the "Link Info" page , Status - it says "not
    > > connected". Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.
    > >

    > If you really are using an 802.11(b) adapter, your home router may be
    > set to "both" or "mixed" (i.e., both 802.11(b) and 802.11(g)), and the
    > other networks to which you are trying to connect may be set to
    > 802.11(g) only. That's most easily checked with your son's network --
    > ask him, or take a look at his router's status page.
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Thanks Lem, His router is a (g). I assume that the library and other
    outside routers are also a (g). I guess that I will have to get a (b)
    adapter to get on. Thanks.

    Geppetto, Dec 24, 2006
  9. jj9f

    Lem Guest

    Geppetto wrote:
    > Lem wrote:
    >> jj9f wrote:
    >>> I have a a Netgear 54 Mbps WGR614 router hooked to my new Gateway
    >>> Desktop and I'm using a D-Link 802.11b wireless PC card adapter in my
    >>> 7-8 year old Compaq Presario 1690 laptop. I have no problem hooking up
    >>> at home, but cannot hook up anywhere else; my son's house, the library
    >>> or hotels with wireless. When I do a site survey in my D-Link Air
    >>> Utility, It indicates that there are strong signals around, but I can't
    >>> seem to connect. In the "Link Info" page , Status - it says "not
    >>> connected". Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.
    >>>

    >> If you really are using an 802.11(b) adapter, your home router may be
    >> set to "both" or "mixed" (i.e., both 802.11(b) and 802.11(g)), and the
    >> other networks to which you are trying to connect may be set to
    >> 802.11(g) only. That's most easily checked with your son's network --
    >> ask him, or take a look at his router's status page.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    > Thanks Lem, His router is a (g). I assume that the library and other
    > outside routers are also a (g). I guess that I will have to get a (b)
    > adapter to get on. Thanks.

    Most (g) routers can be set to "mixed" (b) and (g). Early (g) models,
    however, performed better when set to "g-only" so folks who only have
    (g) devices usually set them up that way. Don't just look at the model
    of your son's router, you will have to access the router's internal
    configuration pages. On the other hand, if you get a (g) adapter, you
    will be able to obtain higher throughput (which will probably not be
    noticeable unless you have high bandwidth applications running on your
    local network (typical 802.11b data rate of 6.5 Mbps (11 Mbps max) is
    still faster than most home Internet connections).

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Dec 27, 2006