Cannot make a BVI on an ATM PVC/catalyst 6500 work!

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John Loop, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. John Loop

    John Loop Guest

    Hello group
    Wonder if anybody has advice on configuring a catalyst we have over here...
    ["sho ver" is below]

    Thanks in advance!

    CANNOT make a BVI work.
    It has all kinds of VLANs on FEs, and a few GEs.
    We added a DS3 ATM ifce, and connected DS3 ATM to our ATM switches.
    I want to make it manageable from CLAN [222.1.1.0 address] in the same
    manner as I have done other routers in our shop. I manage a bunch of routers
    in band ATM on CLAN using BVIs in all the routers, and connected to external
    ethernet network.

    I got the ds3 up, created PVC, created "bridge group 10 route ip" " int BVI
    10," put PVC in bridge group 10. I need bridge encapsulation to use it on
    clan.
    The config is identical to other routers I have except that I can't seem to
    get spanning tree runnng on BVI 10 on this catalyst.
    Spanning-tree is default, but it seems to run only on the VLANs ["show
    spanning-tree" lists all the VLANs]. When I try to do "bridge 10 protocol
    ieee" when I do config - "ieee" is not an option.

    When I do "show spanning-tree 10" it says spanning-tree not configured on
    bvi 10.
    I am not sure the spanning tree is fundamental problem however.

    If I am on the catalyst, and I "ping 222.1.1.55," I can PROVE that the ARP
    request makes it all the way to the far end 222.1.1.55 and I can PROVE that
    the ARP reply makes it all the way back to the catalyst - I have an analyzer
    connected to catalyst port. I can even do a debug on the catalyst and see
    the stuff. I can do a TCPdump at the 222.1.1.55 and see the ARPs come, ARP
    reply go out.

    The Catalyst just seems to ignore the ARP reply. It does NOT make it into
    the arp cache. Occasionally....... i can actually see the MAC address in
    there. If I do a "show bridge 10" I see LOTS of MAC addresses from CLAN,
    all saying forwarding. I even see some of the other CLAN IP addresses and
    their MAC in the arp cache!?

    Here is a "show ip int bvi 10"
    NGN2Catalyst-95#sho ip int bvi 10
    BVI10 is up, line protocol is up
    Internet address is 222.1.1.95/24
    Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255
    Address determined by non-volatile memory
    MTU is 4470 bytes
    Helper address is not set
    Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled
    Outgoing access list is not set
    Inbound access list is not set
    Proxy ARP is enabled
    Local Proxy ARP is disabled
    Security level is default
    Split horizon is enabled
    ICMP redirects are always sent
    ICMP unreachables are always sent
    ICMP mask replies are never sent
    IP fast switching is enabled
    IP fast switching on the same interface is disabled
    IP Flow switching is disabled
    IP Fast switching turbo vector
    IP Null turbo vector
    IP multicast fast switching is enabled
    IP multicast distributed fast switching is disabled
    IP route-cache flags are Fast
    Router Discovery is disabled
    IP output packet accounting is disabled
    IP access violation accounting is disabled
    TCP/IP header compression is disabled
    RTP/IP header compression is disabled
    Probe proxy name replies are disabled
    Policy routing is disabled
    Network address translation is disabled
    WCCP Redirect outbound is disabled
    WCCP Redirect inbound is disabled
    WCCP Redirect exclude is disabled
    BGP Policy Mapping is disabled
    Sampled Netflow is disabled
    IP multicast multilayer switching is disabled

    Here is a "show int bvi 10"
    NGN2Catalyst-95#sho int bvi 10
    BVI10 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is BVI, address is 0000.0c55.c434 (bia 0000.0000.0000)
    Internet address is 222.1.1.95/24
    MTU 4470 bytes, BW 44209 Kbit, DLY 5000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    Last input never, output never, output hang never
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue :0/0 (size/max)
    L2 Switched: ucast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
    L3 in Switched: ucast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast
    L3 out Switched: ucast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
    3143 packets input, 298105 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    36 packets output, 2160 bytes, 0 underruns

    Sure looks like the catalyst is seeing the background bridge traffic coming
    in...... Not sure what the packets out is, unless it thinks it sent
    something out in response to the ping. Can't believe BPDU bridge packets
    are going out since it says spanning tree not running.

    Here is a "show ip route 222.1.1.0"
    NGN2Catalyst-95# sho ip route 222.1.1.0
    Routing entry for 222.1.1.0/24
    Known via "connected", distance 0, metric 0 (connected, via interface)
    Routing Descriptor Blocks:
    * directly connected, via BVI10
    Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

    I am at the end of my rope. If you can think of anything, I would
    appreciate it.
    I have reloaded the catalyst several times and shut/no shut everything lots
    of times.
    Thanks.
    John

    Here is a "sho ver" for basic info:

    NGN2Catalyst-95#sho ver
    IOS (tm) c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-PSV-M), Version 12.1(13)E14, EARLY
    DEPLO
    MENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Compiled Tue 30-Mar-04 14:09 by pwade
    Image text-base: 0x40008C00, data-base: 0x417A6000

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(11r)E1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    BOOTLDR: c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-PSV-M), Version 12.1(13)E14, EARLY
    DEPLO
    MENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    NGN2Catalyst-95 uptime is 16 minutes
    Time since NGN2Catalyst-95 switched to active is 16 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on (SP by power-on)
    System restarted at 03:26:53 EDT Fri Sep 24 2004
    System image file is "sup-bootflash:c6sup22-psv-mz.121-13.E14.bin"

    cisco Catalyst 6000 (R7000) processor with 458752K/65536K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID SAL06376171
    R7000 CPU at 300Mhz, Implementation 39, Rev 3.3, 256KB L2, 1024KB L3 Cache
    Last reset from power-on
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    Bridging software.
    1 FlexWAN controller (1 ATM).
    17 Virtual Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    96 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    18 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 ATM network interface(s)

    32768K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).
    Configuration register is 0x2102

    --
    www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.
    ....You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    John Loop, Sep 24, 2004