    be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Ken

    , Sep 23, 2007

  2. pcbutts1 Guest

    Remove the XP boxes from the domain by putting them in a workgroup, reboot
    and then re-add them back to the *New* domain.

    pcbutts1, Sep 23, 2007

  3. why? Guest

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:41:34 GMT, wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have a simple network with 3 computers: One domain controller
    >running Windows server 2003, two member servers running windows xp
    >pro.
    >The 2 member servers belong to a domain called chance.com. One day,
    >the domain controller server crashed and I had to reinstall Windows
    >server 2003 and active directory for domain chance.com. After that
    >incident, my member computer can no longer log on to the domain even
    >though I created the same user name and password as before in the

    How do you think the same username / password matter?

    If you have a DC (the expression 'member servers' and 'XP Pro' don't go
    together) then you should know why this isn't working.

    >active directory. I don't want to create a new user name for fear of

    Here is a clue you created a 'new' DC with the same name / AD entries.

    You didn't restore / rebuild the DC and AD you had.

    The PCs know about the old DC/AD you have to tell them to join the new
    DC/AD. Move then into a workgroup and then rejoin to the new DC.

    >losing all my member computers setting.
    >
    >I have only limited knowledge of Windows server 2003. Any help would

    You need to have another Win Server 2003 as a replication partner of the
    AD.

    This is 1 of the experiences that gives you a chance to learn more.

    There are lots of resources to be found using www.google.com and the
    specific MS server news groups,

    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33607298&expand=1
    microsoft . public . windows . server

    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33607433&expand=1
    microsoft . public . win2003

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...tory/activedirectory/stepbystep/addomcon.mspx
    or shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/bz5te

    Step-by-Step Guides
    Part I: Installing Windows Server 2003 as a Domain Controller
    Part II: Installing a Windows XP Professional Workstation and Connecting
    It to a Domain

    Creating Additional Domain Controllers
    The following steps should be performed on a computer that has Windows
    Server 2003 installed and is connected to the common network
    infrastructure created in Prerequisites in this guide.

    >be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Also
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/

    >Ken