    know. I'm still stuck

    Thanks,

    Ken
    Ken Smith, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Ken Smith

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Ken Smith tried to scribble ...

    > I've tried allsorts.
    >
    > Typing FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS after getting to the RECOVERY stage....
    > nothing. after doing that, it said that the C: drive was still FAT
    > 32.
    >
    > Installing XP after getting to the "Which partition do you want" ....
    > nothing. It says, "An error occurred while setup was updating
    > partition information on: 28624MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on BUS 0 on ATAPI
    > (MRB) Setup cannnot continue, To quit press F3"
    >
    > I've tried repartitioning the drive formatting, but still I get the
    > error message.
    >
    > Sorry if this isn't a helpful description. Please post back with any
    > questions. I've tried Google groups and every search method I know.
    > I'm still stuck
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ken

    Fdisk might help ..

    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mrscary/fdisk.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/ac4a
    "How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a
    Hard Disk"

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Seti 1934 wu in 14730 hours
    Paul - xxx, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Ken Smith

    Hamman Guest

    "Ken Smith" <> wrote in message
    > I've tried allsorts.
    >
    > Typing FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS after getting to the RECOVERY stage.... nothing.
    > after doing that, it said that the C: drive was still FAT 32.
    >
    > Installing XP after getting to the "Which partition do you want" ....

    nothing. It says, "An error occurred while setup was updating
    > partition information on: 28624MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on BUS 0 on ATAPI (MRB)

    Setup cannnot continue, To quit press F3"

    > I've tried repartitioning the drive formatting, but still I get the error

    message.

    > Sorry if this isn't a helpful description. Please post back with any

    questions. I've tried Google groups and every search method I
    > know. I'm still stuck
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ken

    Where abouts are you doing the format from? If its a Me statup disk then it
    wont support the NTFS file system anyway.
    You need to enter fdisk (since you insist on doing it the old fashioned way)
    and delete ALL partitions and logical drives, don't make any new ones.
    Then enter XP Setup and when it asks you which partition, choose the
    'unpartitioned' space, then choose NTFS Full format
    Hamman, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Ken Smith

    Cubzilla Guest

    "Ken Smith" <> wrote in message
    > I've tried allsorts.
    >
    > Typing FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS after getting to the RECOVERY stage.... nothing.
    > after doing that, it said that the C: drive was still FAT 32.
    >
    > Installing XP after getting to the "Which partition do you want" ....

    nothing. It says, "An error occurred while setup was updating
    > partition information on: 28624MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on BUS 0 on ATAPI (MRB)

    Setup cannnot continue, To quit press F3"

    > I've tried repartitioning the drive formatting, but still I get the error

    message.

    > Sorry if this isn't a helpful description. Please post back with any

    questions. I've tried Google groups and every search method I
    > know. I'm still stuck
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ken

    Just fdisk and leave it with no format, boot your xp cd , if the disk is on
    a RAID controller make sure you have the latest driver ready and hit F6 to
    install it

    On my ASUS mobo highpoint driver has to be installed (via the F6 option)
    before winXP accepted the disk and for the installation to continue

    Regards
    Cubzilla, Aug 27, 2003
  5. Ken Smith

    varegistry Guest

    Have you tried the manufacturer's hard disk utility to repartition and
    format?

    Connie

    varegistry, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Ken Smith

    Ken Smith Guest

    Booting from ME boot disk says that it's NTFS. Booting from the XP CD says that that Partition1 is FAT32 with 8MB of unpartitioned
    space, which I can never seem to get rid of. I've tried installing from "unpartitioned space" but it waits for a minute or 2 then
    goes back to telling me that it has C: Partition1 (fat32) and below that, unpartitioned space 8MB.

    I've heard that ME leaves behind the back up files on the HD. Is this true? And more importantly, why can't I get rid of it?

    Thnaks again, Ken

    Ken Smith, Aug 27, 2003
  7. Ken Smith

    Billh Guest

    http://download.com.com/3302-2094-8838570.html

    Try wreckit it will do as it says wreck your hard drive for sure. Will all
    delete partitions like linux or ntfs that the me disk can not. Once your
    hard drive is wiped clean you can start with XP cd and install. I used it
    to get rid of a linux partition that a win98 start disk could not.

    Billh, Aug 28, 2003
  8. Ken Smith

    Ken Smith Guest

    This sounds just what I need, but I'm not paying for it though. I think I'll get the PC case off and have a look at the HD make.
    I'll see if I can get some kinda low level format thing from them.

    Thanks to everyone for your help though,

    Ken

    Ken Smith, Aug 28, 2003