Cannot install Win XP - SP3

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by walter, Jan 7, 2009.

  1. walter

    walter Guest

    Despite having followed every step as per

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

    I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP (home)
    SP3;

    Name of Update Package
    Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
    Cryptographic service is running on this computer.

    This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
    20GB
    512 RAM

    I've been at this so long I even started from scratch with the original
    reinstall CD (XP -SP1) so yes, this disk belongs to this PC.

    Everything starts out fine. Updates to SP2, downloads and installs all
    updates there, but as soon as it comes time to install SP3, It hits the
    wall.

    Again, I've tried every 'solution' offered in the link above to no avail.
    Stopped and started services, un/re registered .dlls, Emptied the contents
    of the downloaded updates and let them reinstall, etc.

    Any possible solutions NOT covered in that link would be most appeciated.
    walter, Jan 7, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. walter

    Peeassha Guest

    "walter" <> wrote in message
    news:gk2u10$rr5$...
    > Despite having followed every step as per
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    >
    > I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP
    > (home) SP3;
    >
    > Name of Update Package
    > Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
    > Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
    >
    > This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
    > 20GB
    > 512 RAM
    >
    > I've been at this so long I even started from scratch with the original
    > reinstall CD (XP -SP1) so yes, this disk belongs to this PC.
    >
    > Everything starts out fine. Updates to SP2, downloads and installs all
    > updates there, but as soon as it comes time to install SP3, It hits the
    > wall.
    >
    > Again, I've tried every 'solution' offered in the link above to no avail.
    > Stopped and started services, un/re registered .dlls, Emptied the
    > contents of the downloaded updates and let them reinstall, etc.
    >
    > Any possible solutions NOT covered in that link would be most appeciated.
    >



    Format the mother then slipstream SP3 into the windows XP cd. If it doesn't
    fit use a dvd. Then install the tepid twat.
    Peeassha, Jan 7, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. walter

    walter Guest

    Peeassha wrote:
    > "walter" <> wrote in message
    > news:gk2u10$rr5$...
    >> Despite having followed every step as per
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    >>
    >> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP
    >> (home) SP3;
    >>
    >> Name of Update Package
    >> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make
    >> sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
    >>
    >> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
    >> 20GB
    >> 512 RAM
    >>
    >> I've been at this so long I even started from scratch with the
    >> original reinstall CD (XP -SP1) so yes, this disk belongs to this PC.
    >>
    >> Everything starts out fine. Updates to SP2, downloads and installs
    >> all updates there, but as soon as it comes time to install SP3, It
    >> hits the wall.
    >>
    >> Again, I've tried every 'solution' offered in the link above to no
    >> avail. Stopped and started services, un/re registered .dlls, Emptied the
    >> contents of the downloaded updates and let them
    >> reinstall, etc. Any possible solutions NOT covered in that link would be
    >> most
    >> appeciated.

    >
    >
    > Format the mother then slipstream SP3 into the windows XP cd. If it
    > doesn't fit use a dvd. Then install the tepid twat.


    Tried it.

    While I was formatting the machine I am about to throw through the wall, I
    used it's original XP installation disk along with nLite to slipstream SP3.
    No sweat. nLite worked perfectly. Tried to boot the fucker from the
    original machine after it finished formatting and it just sat there. It
    didn't 'see' the slipstreamed disk. The machine I created it on 'sees' it
    just fine? I thought it didn't matter what machine you created the
    slipstream on, so long as you use the ORIGINAL disk for the machine you want
    to install TO, when you create the disk.
    walter, Jan 7, 2009
    #3
  4. walter

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    walter wrote:
    > Despite having followed every step as per
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    >
    > I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP (home)
    > SP3;
    >
    > Name of Update Package
    > Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
    > Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
    >
    > This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
    > 20GB
    > 512 RAM

    I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other than
    look at the desktop wallpaper.
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 8, 2009
    #4
  5. walter

    walter Guest

    Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > walter wrote:
    >> Despite having followed every step as per
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    >>
    >> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP
    >> (home) SP3;
    >>
    >> Name of Update Package
    >> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make
    >> sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
    >>
    >> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
    >> 20GB
    >> 512 RAM

    > I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other than
    > look at the desktop wallpaper.


    512 is more than sufficient for this machine.

    If anybody's still interested the problem was the HDD. After my
    'unattended' slipstreamed (SP3) disk failed and the original disk (SP1)
    balked at installing SP3 I went for one more format using the original disk,
    but paid closer attention this time. After the format was done but before
    the install began, a blue screen popped up saying [paraphrasing] 'This disk
    has a problem and needs to be checked.' At that point it went thru a series
    of 3 steps during which it found and supposedly corrected quite a few
    things. Once again it loaded the OS, allowed me to update all the way
    through to SP2 but crapped out with the same error when I tried to install
    SP3, all from the Windows Update site. The HDD was over 5 years old and
    only 20GB so I went to Staples and grabbed a new one. Popped it in, threw
    in my slipstreamed XP3 CD and it installed without a hitch. WHY Windows
    Update would allow everything up to SP3 to be installed (and work perfectly)
    on the old HDD is beyond me. But that's the only thing I changed, and the
    problem is resolved.
    walter, Jan 9, 2009
    #5
  6. walter

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    walter wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >
    >> walter wrote:
    >>> Despite having followed every step as per
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    >>>
    >>> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install XP
    >>> (home) SP3;
    >>>
    >>> Name of Update Package
    >>> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make
    >>> sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
    >>>
    >>> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
    >>> 20GB
    >>> 512 RAM

    >> I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other than
    >> look at the desktop wallpaper.

    >
    > 512 is more than sufficient for this machine.

    ROFL!
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 9, 2009
    #6
  7. walter

    walter Guest

    Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > walter wrote:
    >> Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >>
    >>> walter wrote:
    >>>> Despite having followed every step as per
    >>>>
    >>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    >>>>
    >>>> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install
    >>>> XP (home) SP3;
    >>>>
    >>>> Name of Update Package
    >>>> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make
    >>>> sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
    >>>>
    >>>> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
    >>>> 20GB
    >>>> 512 RAM
    >>> I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other
    >>> than look at the desktop wallpaper.

    >>
    >> 512 is more than sufficient for this machine.

    > ROFL!


    How much more RAM would you suggest I install on an ancient spare machine
    that sits in my network doing nothing 99.9% of the time?

    Like a third-string quarterback on a football team, it's a backup for the
    backup. It only gets to play in an emergency.
    walter, Jan 9, 2009
    #7
  8. walter

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    walter wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >
    >> walter wrote:
    >>> Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> walter wrote:
    >>>>> Despite having followed every step as per
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install
    >>>>> XP (home) SP3;
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Name of Update Package
    >>>>> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make
    >>>>> sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
    >>>>> 20GB
    >>>>> 512 RAM
    >>>> I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other
    >>>> than look at the desktop wallpaper.
    >>> 512 is more than sufficient for this machine.

    >> ROFL!

    >
    > How much more RAM would you suggest I install on an ancient spare machine
    > that sits in my network doing nothing 99.9% of the time?
    >
    > Like a third-string quarterback on a football team, it's a backup for the
    > backup. It only gets to play in an emergency.
    >
    >

    Like I said, if you want to do anything other than look at the desktop
    wallpaper, you are going to need more than 512Mb. Putting SP3 on makes
    that a requirement IME.
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 10, 2009
    #8
  9. walter

    walter Guest

    Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > walter wrote:
    >> Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >>
    >>> walter wrote:
    >>>> Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> walter wrote:
    >>>>>> Despite having followed every step as per
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I keep getting this same error message when attempting to install
    >>>>>> XP (home) SP3;
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Name of Update Package
    >>>>>> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make
    >>>>>> sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> This machine is an old Dell Dimension 4400
    >>>>>> 20GB
    >>>>>> 512 RAM
    >>>>> I'd start by putting more RAM in if you want to do anything other
    >>>>> than look at the desktop wallpaper.
    >>>> 512 is more than sufficient for this machine.
    >>> ROFL!

    >>
    >> How much more RAM would you suggest I install on an ancient spare
    >> machine that sits in my network doing nothing 99.9% of the time?
    >>
    >> Like a third-string quarterback on a football team, it's a backup
    >> for the backup. It only gets to play in an emergency.
    >>
    >>

    > Like I said, if you want to do anything other than look at the desktop
    > wallpaper, you are going to need more than 512Mb. Putting SP3 on makes
    > that a requirement IME.


    And like *I* said, the machine doesn't do anything at all 99.9% of the time.
    It's machine #3 on the network. Though it can connect to the Internet if I
    allow it, all it ever really does is backup files from 1 and 2. And now
    that I've replaced the original 20GB HDD with a 320GB Seagate it's even more
    useful for that purpose. All it's got on it is XP bare-bones. It's not
    used for anything else other than occasional web surfing by guests in my
    home. Not even email.

    512 RAM is more than sufficient to support that even with SP3 installed.
    AND? If I need anything off of that HDD *really* *fast* (which I don't see
    happening) I'll either pop it in my caddy or install it as a slave in #1 or
    #2

    You may now have the last word.
    walter, Jan 13, 2009
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ~misfit~

    To XP SP3 or not to XP SP3?

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    791
    ~misfit~
    May 10, 2008
  2. Tom
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    961
  3. Peter Foldes
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    357
    FromTheRafters
    Mar 23, 2010
  4. fixfox
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    566
    fixfox
    Mar 24, 2010
  5. Eric Vogel

    Cannot Install WIn Server 2008 R2 x64 in Win 7

    Eric Vogel, Sep 3, 2010, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    997
    Eric Vogel
    Sep 5, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page