cannot install nic

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I am working on a customer's win95 machine. She installed a nic and when she tried to install the
    drivers from the cd, she realized that the cd rom was not working. By the time I got it, I told her
    that many sytem files were missing. She said that the computer was going to be for her 2 year old to
    play Sesame Street games and stuff.

    I asked if she needed anything on the hard drive and she said she didnt so I formatted the drive and
    installed WIn98SE on it. I downloaded the modem, VGA and sound card drivers from the net (using
    another PC) and they all installed great. I changed the CD Rom drive so I could install the network
    adapter drivers. I ran the setup program (it has a realtek chip). Looked like it all went well.
    Shows up in the Device Manager. Green light on the card.

    Problem is when I run winipcfg. Normally, you can click on the drop down menu to the nic card. In
    this case, there is only a PPP adapter. I downloaded the latest drivers for this nic and tried to
    install these but still no good. I have wrestled with this for 3 hours already. I am already losing
    money on this job.

    Any ideas???? Basically, why would the card show up in the Device Mgr, TCP IP and card showing up in
    Network Neighborhood Properties, and the card is set to obtain address automatically. I realize that
    none of this matters if the card isnt showing up in winipcfg. I tried a few other cards in there and
    none of them worked. The PCI slot is good. I am baffled over this "easy" one.

    Tony

    Tony, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Tony

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I am working on a customer's win95 machine. She installed a nic and when

    she tried to install the
    > drivers from the cd, she realized that the cd rom was not working. By

    the time I got it, I told her
    > that many sytem files were missing. She said that the computer was going

    to be for her 2 year old to
    > play Sesame Street games and stuff.
    >
    > I asked if she needed anything on the hard drive and she said she didnt

    so I formatted the drive and
    > installed WIn98SE on it. I downloaded the modem, VGA and sound card

    drivers from the net (using
    > another PC) and they all installed great. I changed the CD Rom drive so

    I could install the network
    > adapter drivers. I ran the setup program (it has a realtek chip).

    Looked like it all went well.
    > Shows up in the Device Manager. Green light on the card.
    >
    > Problem is when I run winipcfg. Normally, you can click on the drop down

    menu to the nic card. In
    > this case, there is only a PPP adapter. I downloaded the latest drivers

    for this nic and tried to
    > install these but still no good. I have wrestled with this for 3 hours

    already. I am already losing
    > money on this job.
    >
    > Any ideas???? Basically, why would the card show up in the Device Mgr,

    TCP IP and card showing up in
    > Network Neighborhood Properties, and the card is set to obtain address

    automatically. I realize that
    > none of this matters if the card isnt showing up in winipcfg. I tried a

    few other cards in there and
    > none of them worked. The PCI slot is good. I am baffled over this "easy" one.
    >
    > Tony

    uninstall and reinstall...

    this is not an uncommon problem. Sometimes you have to uninstall and
    reinstall a few times- but it will work eventually.

    When you uninstall it, you might have to do it manually from the device
    manager and/or the network properties.

    Ghost, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Tony

    DaveL Guest

    Sorry but I have to ask. Why does a two year old playing Sesame Street
    games need a nic?

    Dave

    DaveL, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Tony

    David Hough Guest

    Yea! I was wondering that, also.

    David Hough, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Re: Cannot install Network Adapter...STILL

    I tried your uninstall/reinstall suggestion many times but this doesnt work. I uninstalled the
    drivers from the Device Manager. I uninstalled the entire Realtek Driver/Utilites installation from
    Add/Remove Programs.

    I ran the nic's diagnostics and it always freezes when it is doing a loopback test. I am really
    stumped. It is a brand new card with a cd of drivers. It seems to install perfectly but there is no
    realtek nic info in winipcfg. I removed all cards from the computer except the video adapter but
    there is still nothing. Also, I tried other new nic adapters in our shop and they all install and
    behave the same way. Why is this happening?

    Tony, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:23:50 -0700, "DaveL" <> wrote:

    >Sorry but I have to ask. Why does a two year old playing Sesame Street
    >games need a nic?
    >
    >Dave

    The mother wants the kid to go on the web to SesameStreet.com and all that. It is not my place to
    ask her that. She wants the kid on the net.

    Tony

    Tony, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Tony

    Ghost Guest

    Re: Cannot install Network Adapter...STILL

    If it is locking up during a loopback, then it is not likely a driver
    issue... there is either a problem with the OS (possibly the TCP stack)
    or you may have a virus....

    Ghost, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Re: Cannot install Network Adapter...STILL

    Just so you know, this is a fresh install of Win98SE (after a complete format). I never went on the
    net or installed any software yet so it cannot be a virus. I uninstalled TCP/IP and added it back,
    then when I tried to install the network adapter, it froze up again. Very strange. I am about to
    fdisk it and format it again and start from scratch, even though I just did that the other day.

    Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

    Tony

    Tony, Sep 29, 2003
  9. May or may not work, but try taking it off dhcp, and put a manual address in
    it. It is a possibility that until the nic has an address it won't show up
    in winipconfig.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me