Cannot import my IE6 Favorites

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, I am trying to import my IE6 favorites from an old computer to a new
    one.

    This is what I did:

    1) Exported the following registry key from my old computer, which controls
    order of favorites:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
    er\Favorites

    Saved it as a .reg file on my desktop

    2) Used the export function on IE6 to export my favorites to an .htm file on
    my desktop

    3) Emailed myself the above two files as an attachment

    4) On my new computer, deleted the above registry key.

    5) On my new computer, deleted all my favorites in C:\Documents and
    Settings\Julie\Favorites\Links

    6) Saved the above email registry and imported favorites attachments on my
    desktop.

    7) Double clicked on the registry key to import it. Import was successful.

    8) Opened IE6 and went to the import wizard (import favorites).

    9) Chose the correct file on the desktop and hit "save" and "next".

    10) Chose the correct "Links" folder to import the favorites into.

    11) It says I will have successfully installed my favorites when I click
    "Finish".
    But then all of a sudden it says it is "not a valid bookmark file" and no
    favorites have been installed!

    Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

    Thanks!

    The reason I chose to import the registry key first was because last time I
    did it after I imported the favorites, and when I did that, my favorites
    were still out of order. So I thought I would try it in a different order.
    Julie P., Jun 16, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:49:16 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >Hi, I am trying to import my IE6 favorites from an old computer to a new
    >one.
    >
    >This is what I did:
    >
    >1) Exported the following registry key from my old computer, which controls
    >order of favorites:
    >
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
    >er\Favorites
    >
    >Saved it as a .reg file on my desktop
    >
    >2) Used the export function on IE6 to export my favorites to an .htm file on
    >my desktop

    Why didn't you just copy the entire Favorites folder
    to a floppy disk, or zip up the entire Favorites?

    >3) Emailed myself the above two files as an attachment
    >
    >4) On my new computer, deleted the above registry key.
    >
    >5) On my new computer, deleted all my favorites in C:\Documents and
    >Settings\Julie\Favorites\Links

    That's only deleting "Links".

    >6) Saved the above email registry and imported favorites attachments on my
    >desktop.
    >
    >7) Double clicked on the registry key to import it. Import was successful.
    >
    >8) Opened IE6 and went to the import wizard (import favorites).
    >
    >9) Chose the correct file on the desktop and hit "save" and "next".
    >
    >10) Chose the correct "Links" folder to import the favorites into.

    Again, why "Links"? Favorites goes into Favorites!

    >11) It says I will have successfully installed my favorites when I click
    >"Finish".
    >But then all of a sudden it says it is "not a valid bookmark file" and no
    >favorites have been installed!
    >
    >Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

    Yes, just copy the entire Favorites folder, and overwrite
    them on your new computer.

    >Thanks!
    >
    >The reason I chose to import the registry key first was because last time I
    >did it after I imported the favorites, and when I did that, my favorites
    >were still out of order. So I thought I would try it in a different order.

    That's probably because you're putting everything in "Links".
    Links is just a special folder within Favorites; you can use
    it as a toolbar in IE.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 16, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:49:16 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >Hi, I am trying to import my IE6 favorites from an old computer to a new
    > >one.
    > >
    > >This is what I did:
    > >
    > >1) Exported the following registry key from my old computer, which

    controls
    > >order of favorites:
    > >

    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOr

    > >er\Favorites
    > >
    > >Saved it as a .reg file on my desktop
    > >
    > >2) Used the export function on IE6 to export my favorites to an .htm file

    on
    > >my desktop

    > Why didn't you just copy the entire Favorites folder
    > to a floppy disk, or zip up the entire Favorites?

    Because I don;t have a floppy drive on my new computer, and I'm tired of
    uninstalling and reinstalling my zip drive and computer to use zip disks to
    transfer. Since the import file was small, I wanted to email it.

    > >3) Emailed myself the above two files as an attachment
    > >
    > >4) On my new computer, deleted the above registry key.
    > >
    > >5) On my new computer, deleted all my favorites in C:\Documents and
    > >Settings\Julie\Favorites\Links

    > That's only deleting "Links".
    >
    > >6) Saved the above email registry and imported favorites attachments on

    my
    > >desktop.
    > >
    > >7) Double clicked on the registry key to import it. Import was

    successful.

    > >8) Opened IE6 and went to the import wizard (import favorites).
    > >
    > >9) Chose the correct file on the desktop and hit "save" and "next".
    > >
    > >10) Chose the correct "Links" folder to import the favorites into.

    > Again, why "Links"? Favorites goes into Favorites!

    Right, the Links folder is in the Favorites folder/star. Last time I
    imported the favorites, they automatically were put into the Links folder by
    the IE import function.

    > >11) It says I will have successfully installed my favorites when I click
    > >"Finish".
    > >But then all of a sudden it says it is "not a valid bookmark file" and no
    > >favorites have been installed!
    > >
    > >Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

    > Yes, just copy the entire Favorites folder, and overwrite
    > them on your new computer.

    But I wanted to email them, since otherwise, if I just copy the folder, it
    is about 5 MB. If I do export, it becomes only around 550 KB.

    > >Thanks!
    > >
    > >The reason I chose to import the registry key first was because last time

    > >did it after I imported the favorites, and when I did that, my favorites
    > >were still out of order. So I thought I would try it in a different

    order.

    > That's probably because you're putting everything in "Links".
    > Links is just a special folder within Favorites; you can use
    > it as a toolbar in IE.

    No, I tried putting it both in the Links, and in Favorites. In either case,
    it failed to import. I actually prefer them in Favorites, since if I put
    them in Links, this takes an extra step to get to my favorites.
    Julie P., Jun 16, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > > That's probably because you're putting everything in "Links".
    > > Links is just a special folder within Favorites; you can use
    > > it as a toolbar in IE.
    > >

    > No, I tried putting it both in the Links, and in Favorites. In either

    case,
    > it failed to import. I actually prefer them in Favorites, since if I put
    > them in Links, this takes an extra step to get to my favorites.

    I just tried it again, and tried to import into my Favorites folder. And it
    still didn't work. I'm wondering if something got messed up while I eemailed
    the file to myself.
    Julie P., Jun 16, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:01:31 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> > That's probably because you're putting everything in "Links".
    >> > Links is just a special folder within Favorites; you can use
    >> > it as a toolbar in IE.
    >> >

    >> No, I tried putting it both in the Links, and in Favorites. In either

    >case,
    >> it failed to import. I actually prefer them in Favorites, since if I put
    >> them in Links, this takes an extra step to get to my favorites.
    >>

    >I just tried it again, and tried to import into my Favorites folder. And it
    >still didn't work. I'm wondering if something got messed up while I eemailed
    >the file to myself.

    "Not a valid bookmark file" suggests SOMETHING went wrong.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 16, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:01:31 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >"Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > >> No, I tried putting it both in the Links, and in Favorites. In either

    > >case,
    > >> it failed to import. I actually prefer them in Favorites, since if I

    put
    > >> them in Links, this takes an extra step to get to my favorites.
    > >>

    > >I just tried it again, and tried to import into my Favorites folder. And

    it
    > >still didn't work. I'm wondering if something got messed up while I

    eemailed
    > >the file to myself.

    > "Not a valid bookmark file" suggests SOMETHING went wrong.

    Well, I have good news! I fixed the problem. I went to this webpage:

    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers3.htm#favorites

    This is what it says:

    "Importing an exported html favorites file doesn't work - "not a valid
    bookmark file".
    Open the html favorites file; delete the line <!-- saved from
    url=(0022)http://internet.e-mail-->"

    So using Windows Notepad, I opened the exported favorites file I saved on my
    desktop, then deleted that line above, then saved it as something else. I
    then used "file" > "import favorites" in IE6, and chose "Favorites" for the
    folder to import them into, but I still got that same error message. So then
    I chose The "Links" folder inside the "Favorites" folder, and it worked!
    Julie P., Jun 17, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:54:41 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> "Not a valid bookmark file" suggests SOMETHING went wrong.
    >>

    >Well, I have good news! I fixed the problem. I went to this webpage:
    >
    >http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers3.htm#favorites
    >
    >This is what it says:
    >
    >"Importing an exported html favorites file doesn't work - "not a valid
    >bookmark file".
    >Open the html favorites file; delete the line <!-- saved from
    >url=(0022)http://internet.e-mail-->"
    >
    >So using Windows Notepad, I opened the exported favorites file I saved on my
    >desktop, then deleted that line above, then saved it as something else. I
    >then used "file" > "import favorites" in IE6, and chose "Favorites" for the
    >folder to import them into, but I still got that same error message. So then
    >I chose The "Links" folder inside the "Favorites" folder, and it worked!

    From that page:
    "Most problems with favorites are caused by a corrupt favorites folder."

    I suggest you have that problem. I have exported my Favorites,
    and I do not get a line "<!-- saved from......" , and it imports
    flawlessly.

    I am totally baffled why you use the Links folder for all
    of your bookmarks.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 17, 2004
  8. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > From that page:
    > "Most problems with favorites are caused by a corrupt favorites folder."
    >
    > I suggest you have that problem. I have exported my Favorites,
    > and I do not get a line "<!-- saved from......" , and it imports
    > flawlessly.

    Well, what I did was save the email attachment to my desktop, which caused
    that line to be inserted. If I had used a floppy disk, that would not have
    happened.

    > I am totally baffled why you use the Links folder for all
    > of your bookmarks.

    Because you have to; otherwise you will get that error message. Maybe that
    wouldn't happen if you transferred it via media though, instead of emailing
    it as an attachment.
    Julie P., Jun 17, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > From that page:
    > > "Most problems with favorites are caused by a corrupt favorites

    folder."

    > > I suggest you have that problem. I have exported my Favorites,
    > > and I do not get a line "<!-- saved from......" , and it imports
    > > flawlessly.
    > >

    > Well, what I did was save the email attachment to my desktop, which

    caused
    > that line to be inserted. If I had used a floppy disk, that would not have
    > happened.
    >
    > > I am totally baffled why you use the Links folder for all
    > > of your bookmarks.

    > Because you have to; otherwise you will get that error message. Maybe that
    > wouldn't happen if you transferred it via media though, instead of

    emailing
    > it as an attachment.

    Ok you were right. I just went back and re-imported the exported favorites
    from my desktop file, and this time I *was* able to import them into the
    Favorites folder! Really weird.
    Julie P., Jun 17, 2004
  10. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:17:30 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> > I am totally baffled why you use the Links folder for all
    >> > of your bookmarks.

    >> Because you have to; otherwise you will get that error message. Maybe that
    >> wouldn't happen if you transferred it via media though, instead of
    >> emailing it as an attachment.
    >>

    >Ok you were right. I just went back and re-imported the exported favorites
    >from my desktop file, and this time I *was* able to import them into the
    >Favorites folder! Really weird.

    Not weird, just another noob doing things wrong. ;)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 17, 2004
  11. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:17:30 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:

    > >Ok you were right. I just went back and re-imported the exported

    favorites
    > >from my desktop file, and this time I *was* able to import them into the
    > >Favorites folder! Really weird.

    > Not weird, just another noob doing things wrong. ;)

    Ha! I admit it *is* strange how all these problems occur on my computers. :)

    J.
    Julie P., Jun 18, 2004