Cannot get wireless signal from router to laptop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U291dGhUZXhhcw==?=, May 19, 2005.

  1. I have a Microsoft wireless router and was able to connect to my broadband
    from a laptop computer with a wireless card until 6 months ago. Our cable TV
    and cable broadband were out for 3 days due to a line problem somewhere down
    the street from us. When the broadband and cable service came back on, I
    could no longer access the internet from my laptop. No signal was detected.
    I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, using the Broadband Management
    Tool to test, retest, reconfigure, etc. Nothing worked. We bought a U.S.
    Robotics wireless router and U.S. Robotics wireless card, spent hours with
    U.S. Robotics support to no avail. We could not ever detect a signal from
    the base station computer. We bought a new laptop....that didn't help.
    Frustrated we gave up until yesterday. We bought another laptop with a
    built-in wireless adapter. We uninstalled our Microsoft wireless router and
    reinstalled it with updated software. Still no signal to the laptop. We
    took the laptop to a Panera Bread Restaurant that had free WiFi and the
    laptop worked perfectly there. We do not have a portable phone or any other
    electronics that would interfere with the router. We are stumped!! Does
    anyone have any ideas as to what our problem is? Since we can access the
    internet with our broadband service, Earthlink, they say it is not there
    problem (but would happily sell me a new router with a service for $10 a
    month) and our cable provider doesn't consider it their problem (even though
    the outtage of their service was when our problem begins) because we are
    getting broadband. Please help if anyone out there has any ideas!

    =?Utf-8?B?U291dGhUZXhhcw==?=, May 19, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U291dGhUZXhhcw==?=

    Lem Guest

    SouthTexas wrote:

    > I have a Microsoft wireless router and was able to connect to my broadband
    > from a laptop computer with a wireless card until 6 months ago. Our cable TV
    > and cable broadband were out for 3 days due to a line problem somewhere down
    > the street from us. When the broadband and cable service came back on, I
    > could no longer access the internet from my laptop. No signal was detected.
    > I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, using the Broadband Management
    > Tool to test, retest, reconfigure, etc. Nothing worked. We bought a U.S.
    > Robotics wireless router and U.S. Robotics wireless card, spent hours with
    > U.S. Robotics support to no avail. We could not ever detect a signal from
    > the base station computer. We bought a new laptop....that didn't help.
    > Frustrated we gave up until yesterday. We bought another laptop with a
    > built-in wireless adapter. We uninstalled our Microsoft wireless router and
    > reinstalled it with updated software. Still no signal to the laptop. We
    > took the laptop to a Panera Bread Restaurant that had free WiFi and the
    > laptop worked perfectly there. We do not have a portable phone or any other
    > electronics that would interfere with the router. We are stumped!! Does
    > anyone have any ideas as to what our problem is? Since we can access the
    > internet with our broadband service, Earthlink, they say it is not there
    > problem (but would happily sell me a new router with a service for $10 a
    > month) and our cable provider doesn't consider it their problem (even though
    > the outtage of their service was when our problem begins) because we are
    > getting broadband. Please help if anyone out there has any ideas!

    What, if anything, did you change during the 3-day outage? Is everthing still
    connected the way it was when it worked?

    When you say "We could not ever detect a signal from the base station computer" I
    assume that you mean that you couldn't detect the router -- not the desktop.
    "Seeing" the desktop on your local network is not the same as being "connected"
    to the wireless network. I assume your problem is that you are never
    "connected."

    Which router are you now using, and what model is it? Does your cable modem have
    a built-in wireless router as well? You say that from your laptop, you "can no
    longer access the Internet" and also that you can't detect a signal. Assuming
    that you really can't even detect the presence of a wireless network (let alone
    connect to it), and further assuming that you've checked all the easy things:

    1. Router & laptop are using the same protocol (802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g)
    2. Router & laptop are both set to "infrastructure" mode and are using the same
    channel
    3. Laptop is set to use the SSID you configured in setting up router
    4. Router is broadcasting SSID (not really necessary if #3 is true)
    5. All WEP/WPA security is (temporarily) turned off.
    6. All MAC/IP filtering on router is turned off
    7. DHCP is enabled on router

    it's possible, although unlikely, that both the MS router and the USR router are
    defective. You now know that your laptop works. I suggest taking the router to
    a good computer repair shop and asking them to test it for you.

    Lem, May 20, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U291dGhUZXhhcw==?=

    etarhan Guest

    Hi SouthTexas,

    From your description of it, it looks like a standard nightmare. If I'm
    allowed to put in some advice, try to connect to your broadband service, in
    small steps, starting with a wired connection to your broadband modem.
    Perhaps the following view can help you to troubleshoot the problem
    properly:

    I assume your equipment lineup to be as follows:

    --- Broadband modem
    --- A LAN cable
    --- Wireless router
    --- Wireless LAN card inside your laptop

    You should be able to connect your laptop directly ("wired") to your laptop
    (assuming that it has an integrated wired LAN port). You will have to make
    some adjustments that you will discard later on, but in my opinion this
    should be nothing compared to what you have already done.

    If you can connect to the modem "wired", then the next step should be to see
    if you can connect to your router, "wired again".
    I assume your router has at least one port to allow wired connections. If
    you cannot connect at this step, it probably means that the router is faulty
    (either at the broadband port or the LAN port), and you should verify your
    router at a friend's or at the local computer shop.

    If you can connect to the router "wired", then you should try to see your
    wireless connection. Resetting your router to factory adjustments in advance
    could help, if you had set it up out of default, such as "no SSID
    broadcast". At any rate, router connected to broadband modem or not, you
    should be able to establish a wireless connection between your computer and
    your router. If you can connect to the router's wireless, then you should be
    able to connect to the broadband, provided that the necessary settings are
    made (I have no idea what adjustments are needed for a cable modem, but
    there should be some settings to be done). If you establish a wireless
    connection but no broadband, the your router may be faulty, which can be
    verified, again at a friend's or at the local computer shop.

    If you can not connect to the router, then you should replace it.

    Of course, there is a chance that your wireless LAN card inside the laptop
    is faulty, but this is a small chance, considering the number of laptops you
    have bought.

    I don't know how comfortable you feel to make the adjustments required at
    the modem, router and laptop. If you have the smallest doubt, I would advise
    finding someone to do the job competently. The fee should be minor, compared
    to what you have already spent.

    What I actually fear, is that, at the end, you will find out that the
    broadband company has taken the liberty of changing some values while
    repairing the initial fault. This needs "intelligent" questions to be asked
    by someone with competence to decipher the "stupid" replies received from
    them.

    Good Luck,

    Engin

    etarhan, May 21, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U291dGhUZXhhcw==?=

    Quaoar Guest

    SouthTexas wrote:
    > I have a Microsoft wireless router and was able to connect to my
    > broadband from a laptop computer with a wireless card until 6 months
    > ago. Our cable TV and cable broadband were out for 3 days due to a
    > line problem somewhere down the street from us. When the broadband
    > and cable service came back on, I could no longer access the internet
    > from my laptop. No signal was detected. I spent hours on the phone
    > with Microsoft, using the Broadband Management Tool to test, retest,
    > reconfigure, etc. Nothing worked. We bought a U.S. Robotics
    > wireless router and U.S. Robotics wireless card, spent hours with
    > U.S. Robotics support to no avail. We could not ever detect a signal
    > from the base station computer. We bought a new laptop....that
    > didn't help. Frustrated we gave up until yesterday. We bought
    > another laptop with a built-in wireless adapter. We uninstalled our
    > Microsoft wireless router and reinstalled it with updated software.
    > Still no signal to the laptop. We took the laptop to a Panera Bread
    > Restaurant that had free WiFi and the laptop worked perfectly there.
    > We do not have a portable phone or any other electronics that would
    > interfere with the router. We are stumped!! Does anyone have any
    > ideas as to what our problem is? Since we can access the internet
    > with our broadband service, Earthlink, they say it is not there
    > problem (but would happily sell me a new router with a service for
    > $10 a month) and our cable provider doesn't consider it their problem
    > (even though the outtage of their service was when our problem
    > begins) because we are getting broadband. Please help if anyone out
    > there has any ideas!

    Did you ever remove power from the modem and router, power up the modem
    and when it has booted, start the router again? I would assume that in
    the time period, you did this, but if not, do it. See if that helps.

    Quaoar, May 22, 2005