cannot find modem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by slumpy, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. slumpy

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel ivan clough
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Hi.
    > For a while yesterday afternoon, I was having problems connecting to
    > the internet, getting a "cannot connect to the
    > modem" error message.
    > I looked through the help files but unsurprisingly could not
    > resolve the problem.
    > This morning though I fired up the old pc and bingo connected first
    > time. Just in case the problem recurs what would you chaps
    > reccomend I do....?? TIA
    > I am using win98se.
    > Ivan

    Close it down, wait until Monday morning.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    ivan clough, Apr 26, 2004

  3. slumpy

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:24:57 +0100, ivan clough wrote:

    >Hi.
    >For a while yesterday afternoon, I was having problems connecting to the
    >internet, getting a "cannot connect to the
    >modem" error message.

    There is no error code?

    >I looked through the help files but unsurprisingly could not
    >resolve the problem.
    >This morning though I fired up the old pc and bingo connected first time.
    >Just in case the problem recurs what would you chaps reccomend I do....??

    Provide a little more info?

    ISP is in your email header.

    Say if it's ADSL/Dialup/Cable modem.

    Check through the modem properties, see the help file to turn on -
    create a modem log file.

    If (modem properties again, have same as NT) you can find the modem
    settings there may be a diagnostic button (see the help files again)
    this will show you some lines of a small test running. If you don't
    follow what the output means exactly don't mind. What's more important
    is you see lines of output scroling and no obvious errors messages /
    codes.

    >TIA
    >I am using win98se.
    >Ivan

    Me

    why?, Apr 26, 2004
  4. slumpy

    ivan clough Guest

    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:24:57 +0100, ivan clough wrote:
    >
    > >Hi.
    > >For a while yesterday afternoon, I was having problems connecting to the
    > >internet, getting a "cannot connect to the
    > >modem" error message.

    > There is no error code?
    >
    > >I looked through the help files but unsurprisingly could not
    > >resolve the problem.
    > >This morning though I fired up the old pc and bingo connected first time.
    > >Just in case the problem recurs what would you chaps reccomend I

    do....??

    > Provide a little more info?
    >
    > ISP is in your email header.
    >
    > Say if it's ADSL/Dialup/Cable modem.
    >
    > Check through the modem properties, see the help file to turn on -
    > create a modem log file.
    >
    > If (modem properties again, have same as NT) you can find the modem
    > settings there may be a diagnostic button (see the help files again)
    > this will show you some lines of a small test running. If you don't
    > follow what the output means exactly don't mind. What's more important
    > is you see lines of output scroling and no obvious errors messages /
    > codes.
    >
    > >TIA
    > >I am using win98se.
    > >Ivan

    > Me

    Hi.
    Modem is intel(R) v92. System properties device manage says the device is
    working properly.Port is COM4
    I have printed out a resource summary report which does not mean a great
    deal to me.
    I am using dial up freeserve anytime.
    The problem is intermittent and is cleared if i reboot.
    Thanks for trying to help me but I will have to call in the
    big boys!!!!
    It was worth a shot anyway.
    Cheers
    Ivan

    ivan clough, Apr 26, 2004
  5. ivan clough wrote:
    > Hi.
    > For a while yesterday afternoon, I was having problems connecting to the
    > internet, getting a "cannot connect to the
    > modem" error message.
    > I looked through the help files but unsurprisingly could not
    > resolve the problem.
    > This morning though I fired up the old pc and bingo connected first time.
    > Just in case the problem recurs what would you chaps reccomend I do....??

    Don't reboot.

    > I am using win98se.

    Oh, yeah, that. Disregard above -- does not apply. ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Register User 4892F
    AOL Diary: (New 4/22) http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 26, 2004
  6. slumpy

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Blinky the Shark
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > ivan clough wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >> For a while yesterday afternoon, I was having problems connecting to
    >> the internet, getting a "cannot connect to the
    >> modem" error message.
    >> I looked through the help files but unsurprisingly could not
    >> resolve the problem.
    >> This morning though I fired up the old pc and bingo connected first
    >> time. Just in case the problem recurs what would you chaps
    >> reccomend I do....??

    > Don't reboot.
    >
    >> I am using win98se.

    > Oh, yeah, that. Disregard above -- does not apply. ;)

    LMAO !!
    --
    slumpy
    no more