Cannot Export OE Address Book

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Oct 15, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    I am trying to backup my Outlook Express 6 address book (running Windows XP
    Home SP2).

    This is what I am doing, per official Micorosft instructions
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670):

    1.On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
    2.Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
    3.Click Browse.
    4.Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created.
    5.In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
    6.Click Next.
    7.Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export,
    and then click Finish.

    But when I finish step 7, it says "Error exporting the address book".

    I have tried multiple times. Any ideas? Thanks!

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 15, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > I am trying to backup my Outlook Express 6 address book (running
    > Windows XP Home SP2).
    >
    > This is what I am doing, per official Micorosft instructions
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670):
    >
    > 1.On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
    > 2.Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
    > 3.Click Browse.
    > 4.Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created.
    > 5.In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
    > 6.Click Next.
    > 7.Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to
    > export, and then click Finish.
    >
    > But when I finish step 7, it says "Error exporting the address book".
    >
    > I have tried multiple times. Any ideas? Thanks!
    >
    > Julie

    Why would you want to backup to a CSV? It's a real pain to get it BACK into
    WAB, especially if you have groups or multiple
    personalities...err...identities <g>.

    Find the WAB file and make a copy of it: C:\Documents and Settings\{your
    user name}\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> I am trying to backup my Outlook Express 6 address book (running
    >> Windows XP Home SP2).
    >>
    >> This is what I am doing, per official Micorosft instructions
    >> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670):
    >>
    >> 1.On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
    >> 2.Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
    >> 3.Click Browse.
    >> 4.Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created.
    >> 5.In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
    >> 6.Click Next.
    >> 7.Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to
    >> export, and then click Finish.
    >>
    >> But when I finish step 7, it says "Error exporting the address book".
    >>
    >> I have tried multiple times. Any ideas? Thanks!
    >>
    >> Julie

    > Why would you want to backup to a CSV? It's a real pain to get it BACK
    > into WAB, especially if you have groups or multiple
    > personalities...err...identities <g>.

    Ha! Actually, I just have one identity. Plus it is really to restore an
    address book:

    Import the Address Book File
    To import your Outlook Express address book: 1. On the File menu, click
    Import, and then click Other Address Book.
    2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Import.
    3. Click Browse.
    4. Locate the Mail Backup folder on your desktop, click the address
    book Backup.csv file, and then click Open.
    5. Click Next, and then click Finish.
    6. Click OK, and then click Close.

    > Find the WAB file and make a copy of it: C:\Documents and Settings\{your
    > user name}\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

    Ok, I will try this method then. Thanks Tim!

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 15, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Julie P. wrote:
    >>> I am trying to backup my Outlook Express 6 address book (running
    >>> Windows XP Home SP2).
    >>>
    >>> This is what I am doing, per official Micorosft instructions
    >>> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670):
    >>>
    >>> 1.On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
    >>> 2.Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
    >>> 3.Click Browse.
    >>> 4.Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created.
    >>> 5.In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click
    >>> Save. 6.Click Next.
    >>> 7.Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to
    >>> export, and then click Finish.
    >>>
    >>> But when I finish step 7, it says "Error exporting the address
    >>> book". I have tried multiple times. Any ideas? Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Julie

    >> Why would you want to backup to a CSV? It's a real pain to get it
    >> BACK into WAB, especially if you have groups or multiple
    >> personalities...err...identities <g>.
    >>

    > Ha! Actually, I just have one identity.

    Well, you stick around here long enough and you'll realize *I* may have some
    multiple personality issues ;o)

    > Plus it is really to restore
    > an address book:
    >
    > Import the Address Book File
    > To import your Outlook Express address book: 1. On the File menu,
    > click Import, and then click Other Address Book.
    > 2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click
    > Import. 3. Click Browse.
    > 4. Locate the Mail Backup folder on your desktop, click the
    > address book Backup.csv file, and then click Open.
    > 5. Click Next, and then click Finish.
    > 6. Click OK, and then click Close.
    >

    >> Find the WAB file and make a copy of it: C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\{your user name}\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
    >>

    > Ok, I will try this method then. Thanks Tim!
    >
    > Julie

    Good luck. I've always been disappointed by the import/export options in OE.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Well, you stick around here long enough and you'll realize *I* may have some
    > multiple personality issues ;o)

    Yeah well I noticed that but never or hardly ever reply to such as I
    never know what personality will read it :)

    Plato, Oct 15, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why would you want to backup to a CSV? It's a real pain to get it
    >>> BACK into WAB, especially if you have groups or multiple
    >>> personalities...err...identities <g>.
    >>>

    >> Ha! Actually, I just have one identity.

    > Well, you stick around here long enough and you'll realize *I* may have
    > some multiple personality issues ;o)

    I'll have to keep an eye out for those. :)

    >> Plus it is really to restore
    >> an address book:
    >>
    >> Import the Address Book File
    >> To import your Outlook Express address book: 1. On the File menu,
    >> click Import, and then click Other Address Book.
    >> 2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click
    >> Import. 3. Click Browse.
    >> 4. Locate the Mail Backup folder on your desktop, click the
    >> address book Backup.csv file, and then click Open.
    >> 5. Click Next, and then click Finish.
    >> 6. Click OK, and then click Close.
    >>

    >>> Find the WAB file and make a copy of it: C:\Documents and
    >>> Settings\{your user name}\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
    >>>

    >> Ok, I will try this method then. Thanks Tim!
    >>
    >> Julie

    > Good luck. I've always been disappointed by the import/export options in
    > OE.

    Well, I just did what you suggested, and it seems to have worked. Only two
    things of concern:

    1) The "Application Data" folder was faded, but I was still able to open it.
    Maybe this is normal.
    2) The address book file said last modified was in 2004, even though I
    modified it a few days ago.

    But I 'm not too worried, since I don;t have many addresses stored anyway.

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 15, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > Well, I just did what you suggested, and it seems to have worked. Only
    > two things of concern:
    >
    > 1) The "Application Data" folder was faded, but I was still able to open
    > it. Maybe this is normal.
    > 2) The address book file said last modified was in 2004, even though I
    > modified it a few days ago.

    Ok, found the address book file:

    C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

    Julie P., Oct 15, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> Well, you stick around here long enough and you'll realize *I* may
    >> have some multiple personality issues ;o)

    > Yeah well I noticed that but never or hardly ever reply to such as I
    > never know what personality will read it :)

    Good idea <g>

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Well, I just did what you suggested, and it seems to have worked.
    >> Only two things of concern:
    >>
    >> 1) The "Application Data" folder was faded, but I was still able to
    >> open it. Maybe this is normal.
    >> 2) The address book file said last modified was in 2004, even though
    >> I modified it a few days ago.
    >>

    > Ok, found the address book file:
    >
    > C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

    Wow - that's like *totally* in the wrong place. Unless maybe you had Win9X
    installed and did an upgrade to XP. But as they say, don't mess with nuthin'
    that works (i.e., leave it there <g>).

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Julie P. wrote:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >>> Find the WAB file and make a copy of it:

    <snip>

    > Well, I just did what you suggested, and it seems to have worked.
    > Only two things of concern:
    >
    > 1) The "Application Data" folder was faded, but I was still able to
    > open it. Maybe this is normal.

    Yes, this is normal. That is normally a "hidden" folder. MS fades hidden
    and/or system folders.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Well, I just did what you suggested, and it seems to have worked.
    >>> Only two things of concern:
    >>>
    >>> 1) The "Application Data" folder was faded, but I was still able to
    >>> open it. Maybe this is normal.
    >>> 2) The address book file said last modified was in 2004, even though
    >>> I modified it a few days ago.
    >>>

    >> Ok, found the address book file:
    >>
    >> C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

    > Wow - that's like *totally* in the wrong place. Unless maybe you had Win9X
    > installed and did an upgrade to XP. But as they say, don't mess with
    > nuthin' that works (i.e., leave it there <g>).

    Wow, you are knowledgeable Tim! Yes, I had used OE5 and Windows 98 SE, then
    moved everything to another computer, running OE 6 and Windows XP Home.
    Maybe that is why I got the error code originally when trying to export.
    Perhaps I should move the files to the correct folder? But then will OE
    still be able to locate it? Not a big deal for me in any case, since I can
    use your method to backup the file anyway, rather than exporting (unless, of
    course, I wanted to export in CSV format to another mail program).

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 15, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Julie P. wrote:
    >>> "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    >>> Ok, found the address book file:
    >>>
    >>> C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

    >> Wow - that's like *totally* in the wrong place. Unless maybe you had
    >> Win9X installed and did an upgrade to XP. But as they say, don't
    >> mess with nuthin' that works (i.e., leave it there <g>).

    > Wow, you are knowledgeable Tim! Yes, I had used OE5 and Windows 98
    > SE, then moved everything to another computer, running OE 6 and
    > Windows XP Home. Maybe that is why I got the error code originally
    > when trying to export. Perhaps I should move the files to the correct
    > folder? But then will OE still be able to locate it? Not a big deal
    > for me in any case, since I can use your method to backup the file
    > anyway, rather than exporting (unless, of course, I wanted to export
    > in CSV format to another mail program).
    > Julie

    Nah - if your software is running, don't attempt to change the location of
    the files. If it were me, I'd make a note so I can find it again. Or more
    likely, I'd write a batch file that does a backup. I did that at work - then
    put the batch file in the task scheduler. It copies my local files to the
    network every night at 8:00 and the tape backup in the network runs at
    10:00. (For other people reading this, I have some really old software that
    won't save data files to the Netware 6.5 server directly - only to my local
    HD. So this works around that issue.)

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> Wow, you are knowledgeable Tim! Yes, I had used OE5 and Windows 98
    >> SE, then moved everything to another computer, running OE 6 and
    >> Windows XP Home. Maybe that is why I got the error code originally
    >> when trying to export. Perhaps I should move the files to the correct
    >> folder? But then will OE still be able to locate it? Not a big deal
    >> for me in any case, since I can use your method to backup the file
    >> anyway, rather than exporting (unless, of course, I wanted to export
    >> in CSV format to another mail program).
    >> Julie

    > Nah - if your software is running, don't attempt to change the location of
    > the files. If it were me, I'd make a note so I can find it again. Or more
    > likely, I'd write a batch file that does a backup. I did that at work -
    > then put the batch file in the task scheduler. It copies my local files to
    > the network every night at 8:00 and the tape backup in the network runs at
    > 10:00. (For other people reading this, I have some really old software
    > that won't save data files to the Netware 6.5 server directly - only to my
    > local HD. So this works around that issue.)

    Impressive! The only thing is that that is dependent on you leaving your
    computer on all night, as opposed to shutting down. Is there any danger to
    leaving it on? High electricity usage? Excessive wear and tear? Risk for
    surges?

    Julie P., Oct 15, 2005
  14. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > > Wow, you are knowledgeable Tim! Yes, I had used OE5 and Windows 98

    TT and Julie sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G

    First comes love, then comes marraige.

    Then comes Tiny Tim in a baby carraige.

    Plato, Oct 15, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wow, you are knowledgeable Tim! Yes, I had used OE5 and Windows 98

    > TT and Julie sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G
    >
    > First comes love, then comes marraige.
    >
    > Then comes Tiny Tim in a baby carraige.

    Speaking of multiple personalities, I think Plato is running on an alternate
    today <g>

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Julie P. wrote:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Wow, you are knowledgeable Tim! Yes, I had used OE5 and Windows 98
    >>> SE, then moved everything to another computer, running OE 6 and
    >>> Windows XP Home. Maybe that is why I got the error code originally
    >>> when trying to export. Perhaps I should move the files to the
    >>> correct folder? But then will OE still be able to locate it? Not a
    >>> big deal for me in any case, since I can use your method to backup
    >>> the file anyway, rather than exporting (unless, of course, I wanted
    >>> to export in CSV format to another mail program).
    >>> Julie

    >> Nah - if your software is running, don't attempt to change the
    >> location of the files. If it were me, I'd make a note so I can find
    >> it again. Or more likely, I'd write a batch file that does a backup.
    >> I did that at work - then put the batch file in the task scheduler.
    >> It copies my local files to the network every night at 8:00 and the
    >> tape backup in the network runs at 10:00. (For other people reading
    >> this, I have some really old software that won't save data files to
    >> the Netware 6.5 server directly - only to my local HD. So this works
    >> around that issue.)

    > Impressive! The only thing is that that is dependent on you leaving
    > your computer on all night, as opposed to shutting down. Is there any
    > danger to leaving it on? High electricity usage? Excessive wear and
    > tear? Risk for surges?

    I have professional battery backups and power protection, and the servers
    have to be on all night anyway. Yeah, it uses a little extra power, but the
    MTBF of most hardware components precludes any likely wear and tear issues -
    the system gets replaced with newer technology every couple of years.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005
  17. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Speaking of multiple personalities, I think Plato is running on an alternate
    > today <g>

    2AM. Went to wash some dishes. No hot water. From past experience it
    means the pilot light went out due to wind or flood. Opened basement
    door. Flood. New sump pump failed and water 2 foot high. New water
    heater and new $4,000 furnace toasted.

    4AM. Installed backup pump which I have to kick every 30 minutes to keep
    it running.

    8AM. Went shopping. Found new sump pump at ACE hardware at 50% higher
    cost than normal. Old price sticker marked up with a Sharpie Pen due to
    our 8 days of rain. Complained, but Purchased and installed.

    10AM. Replaced bad hot water heater parts. Put in a call for hot air gas
    furnace repair.

    NOON. Bacardi and Pepsi. Darn store didn't have Coke. I really need some
    weed however.

    >From now on tho I'm going redundent. I'll have 2 sump pumps connected to

    2 dedicated electric lines.

    Plato, Oct 15, 2005
  18. Julie P.

    clot Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> Speaking of multiple personalities, I think Plato is running on an
    >> alternate today <g>

    > 2AM. Went to wash some dishes. No hot water. From past experience it
    > means the pilot light went out due to wind or flood. Opened basement
    > door. Flood. New sump pump failed and water 2 foot high. New water
    > heater and new $4,000 furnace toasted.
    >
    > 4AM. Installed backup pump which I have to kick every 30 minutes to
    > keep it running.
    >
    > 8AM. Went shopping. Found new sump pump at ACE hardware at 50% higher
    > cost than normal. Old price sticker marked up with a Sharpie Pen due
    > to our 8 days of rain. Complained, but Purchased and installed.
    >
    > 10AM. Replaced bad hot water heater parts. Put in a call for hot air
    > gas furnace repair.
    >
    > NOON. Bacardi and Pepsi. Darn store didn't have Coke. I really need
    > some weed however.
    >
    >> From now on tho I'm going redundent. I'll have 2 sump pumps
    >> connected to

    > 2 dedicated electric lines.

    Sorry to hear of your problems, Plato. Pleased to see you've still got a
    sense of humour!

    clot, Oct 15, 2005
  19. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    clot wrote:

    > > 2AM. Went to wash some dishes. No hot water. From past experience it
    > > means the pilot light went out due to wind or flood. Opened basement
    > > door. Flood. New sump pump failed and water 2 foot high. New water
    > > heater and new $4,000 furnace toasted.
    > >
    > > 4AM. Installed backup pump which I have to kick every 30 minutes to
    > > keep it running.
    > >
    > > 8AM. Went shopping. Found new sump pump at ACE hardware at 50% higher
    > > cost than normal. Old price sticker marked up with a Sharpie Pen due
    > > to our 8 days of rain. Complained, but Purchased and installed.
    > >
    > > 10AM. Replaced bad hot water heater parts. Put in a call for hot air
    > > gas furnace repair.
    > >
    > > NOON. Bacardi and Pepsi. Darn store didn't have Coke. I really need
    > > some weed however.
    > >
    > >> From now on tho I'm going redundent. I'll have 2 sump pumps
    > >> connected to 2 dedicated electric lines.

    > Sorry to hear of your problems, Plato. Pleased to see you've still got a
    > sense of humour!

    I'm lucky compared to so many people in the world who have been recently
    totally tossed out of both their home and job due to storms or
    earthquakes. I'm lucky in that so many people in the world have lost
    their loved ones due to mother nature. In fact, just writing this brings
    tears to my eyes for all those I dont even know and have suffered *real*
    hardships.

    Plato, Oct 15, 2005
  20. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> Speaking of multiple personalities, I think Plato is running on an
    >> alternate today <g>

    > 2AM. Went to wash some dishes. No hot water. From past experience it
    > means the pilot light went out due to wind or flood. Opened basement
    > door. Flood. New sump pump failed and water 2 foot high. New water
    > heater and new $4,000 furnace toasted.
    >
    > 4AM. Installed backup pump which I have to kick every 30 minutes to
    > keep it running.
    >
    > 8AM. Went shopping. Found new sump pump at ACE hardware at 50% higher
    > cost than normal. Old price sticker marked up with a Sharpie Pen due
    > to our 8 days of rain. Complained, but Purchased and installed.
    >
    > 10AM. Replaced bad hot water heater parts. Put in a call for hot air
    > gas furnace repair.
    >
    > NOON. Bacardi and Pepsi. Darn store didn't have Coke. I really need
    > some weed however.
    >
    >> From now on tho I'm going redundent. I'll have 2 sump pumps
    >> connected to

    > 2 dedicated electric lines.

    Bad way to start a day.

    The only thing I hate worse than plumbing is plumbing.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005