Cannot enter all 26 characters for WEP-128 key?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Adam White, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. Adam White

    Adam White Guest

    I'm having trouble establishing a wireless connection between my
    laptop and my wireless access point. The WAP uses 128 bit WEP
    encryption. I manually created the passkey on it by specifying 26 hex
    characters.

    My laptop has Windows XP on it (SP2). When I get into the Wireless
    Network Properties windows, and then the Association tab on that
    window ... I enter the Network name (SSID), set the authentication
    type to Shared, and remove the checkmark by "the key is provided for
    me automatically." Then I try to enter my 26 HEX character key (into
    the "network key" field) ... but the field will only let me enter 23
    characters!!!

    When I specify 128 bit WEP encryption on the WAP, it forces me to
    enter 26 characters (hex). If Windows XP won't let me enter all 26
    characters, then I cannot authenticate!!!

    What's up here?
    Adam White, Dec 24, 2005

  2. I am having the same issue. I have a Belkin router and have enabled the 128
    bit key. My computers that have a Belkin wireless card use their program to
    connect to my network and have an option for the 128 bit key.

    However, on my other computers where windows manages the connection, it only
    give me the option of entering in either a 32 or 64 bit hex key. I have
    searched but have not been able to find a fix.

    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

    =?Utf-8?B?VGluYSBI?=, Jan 10, 2006

  3. Adam White

    dmsethi

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Did you guys ever figure this out? I am having exactly the same issue.
    dmsethi, Jun 17, 2009