    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly
    Martijn Saly, Nov 20, 2005

  2. Here's the issue -- if the application is 32-bit the drag and drop onto an
    icon for it won't work. It has to do with the issue of a 64-bit program
    (Windows Explorer, in this case) trying to call a 32-bit one. So yeah, it's
    annoying, but it will get better as we see more native 64-bit programs.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 20, 2005

  3. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Here's the issue -- if the application is 32-bit the drag and drop onto an
    > icon for it won't work. It has to do with the issue of a 64-bit program
    > (Windows Explorer, in this case) trying to call a 32-bit one. So yeah, it's
    > annoying, but it will get better as we see more native 64-bit programs.

    Sorry man, it also doesn't work when dragging a file onto a shortcut to a
    64-bit application. The very reason I tried it with virtualdub in the first
    place, is that there's also an AMD64 build, which is the one I tried it with.

    Additionally, why would 32<->64 be a problem when the explorer simply needs
    to run "program.exe droppedfile.avi" ??

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly
    Martijn Saly, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Martijn Saly

    Wim Zefat Guest

    Op Mon, 21 Nov 2005 02:36:03 +0100 schreef Martijn Saly:

    > Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    >> Here's the issue -- if the application is 32-bit the drag and drop onto an
    >> icon for it won't work. It has to do with the issue of a 64-bit program
    >> (Windows Explorer, in this case) trying to call a 32-bit one. So yeah, it's
    >> annoying, but it will get better as we see more native 64-bit programs.
    >>

    > Sorry man, it also doesn't work when dragging a file onto a shortcut to a
    > 64-bit application. The very reason I tried it with virtualdub in the first
    > place, is that there's also an AMD64 build, which is the one I tried it with.
    >
    > Additionally, why would 32<->64 be a problem when the explorer simply needs
    > to run "program.exe droppedfile.avi" ??

    Can't see a reason why that should be a problem either and indeed it
    doesn't seem to be. Since I hadn't noticed any problems with drag & drop so
    far, I just tried a couple of things. Dragged an avi onto Windows Media
    Player - which opens and plays the file. Dragged a pdf onto Acrobat Reader
    (which is definitely a 32 bit application) and Reader opens and displays
    the file. No idea why it doesn't work for you, but it seems to work fine
    here.

    Wim
    Wim Zefat, Nov 21, 2005
  5. No problems down here either.
    Just dragged a shortcut to an wmv file, dropped it to nero vision express
    (x86) shortcut, and started playing normally.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Carlos wrote:
    > No problems down here either.
    > Just dragged a shortcut to an wmv file, dropped it to nero vision express
    > (x86) shortcut, and started playing normally.
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Wim Zefat" wrote:
    >>Can't see a reason why that should be a problem either and indeed it
    >>doesn't seem to be. Since I hadn't noticed any problems with drag & drop so
    >>far, I just tried a couple of things. Dragged an avi onto Windows Media
    >>Player - which opens and plays the file. Dragged a pdf onto Acrobat Reader
    >>(which is definitely a 32 bit application) and Reader opens and displays
    >>the file. No idea why it doesn't work for you, but it seems to work fine
    >>here.

    Is there a registry setting to disable dragging&dropping onto shortcuts?
    Maybe I (or worse, another program) disabled it somewhere by accident...

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly
    Martijn Saly, Dec 2, 2005