    My Documents..
    Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 18, 2006

  2. On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <> wrote:

    >Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
    >to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
    >My Documents..
    >Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

    Which browser are you using?
    --

    John

    John Morrison, Aug 18, 2006

  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Internet Explorer.

    Ed, Aug 18, 2006
  4. Ed wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:53:01 +1000, John Morrison
    > <the_morrisons@invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
    >>> to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file
    >>> in My Documents.. Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

    >> Which browser are you using?

    > Internet Explorer.

    Try Firefox or Opera. Both have better download managers than IE...

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 18, 2006
  5. Ed

    Rich Guest

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <> wrote:

    >Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
    >to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
    >My Documents..
    >Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?
    >

    >Ed

    ed, try this:

    1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Then click [Tools] [Folder Options] [File Types]
    3. Scroll down to locate the file type.
    4. Highlight the file type (example :"PPT Microsoft PowerPoint
    Presentation")
    5. Click the "Advanced" button.
    6. Enable the option "confirm open after download"

    repeat as needed for the types of files you're downloading. zip, pdf,
    exe, etc.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    source: <http://windowsxp.mvps.org/iefaq.htm#confirmopen>

    Rich, Aug 18, 2006
  6. On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:18:26 GMT, Ed <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:53:01 +1000, John Morrison
    ><the_morrisons@invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
    >>>to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
    >>>My Documents..
    >>>Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

    >>Which browser are you using?

    >Internet Explorer.

    I don't use Internet Explorer but apparently IE just uses the default
    download folder ie: "My Documents" and I'm unaware that it can be
    changed in Internet Explorer.
    When you want to download something, click on save and a box should
    open which gives you the opportunity to save to the Desktop or
    elsewhere.
    If you don't save to a particular folder each time downloads will just
    go to My Documents.
    Other browsers such as Opera, K-Meleon or Firefox allow you to specify
    a different download folder.
    --

    John

    John Morrison, Aug 18, 2006
  7. Ed

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <> wrote:

    >Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
    >to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
    >My Documents..
    >Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

    Ed

    I usually use Firefox, but when I download with IE6, I get offered a
    dialogue which enables me to change the filename to save as and folder
    to download to.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 19, 2006
  8. Ed

    Ed Guest

    It has nothing to do with the browser.
    Apparently something has made a change to the registry.
    you can pick desktop as the download destination but it will not be
    there when the download is complete, At times it will go into My
    Documents, Other times it is nowhere to be found.

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 19, 2006