Cannot download program with IE6

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, I'm having a bizarre problem with IE6 on Windows XP Home. I am trying to
    go to this page to download a program:

    http://download.endicia.com/setupV4.exe

    and I keep getting a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error no matter what I do,
    including clearing cache and cookies and restarting.

    With Netscape 7.1 I have no problem and can download the program (although I
    cannot open the download from the webpage, but rather have to save it to
    disk first, since Netscape does not know what application to use). But this
    still irritates me that I cannot do it with IE6 even though everyone else I
    have spoken to can. I want to fix this IE problem.

    I suspect the problem is with the Google Toolbar pop-up blocker or my IE
    security settings (set to Default/Medium). Or maybe Spyware Blaster or
    SpyBot? I know, these latter two block only bad stuff... :)

    Any ideas? Going to bed now, but will check back later.

    Julie

    Julie P., Jul 15, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >| Hi, I'm having a bizarre problem with IE6 on Windows XP Home. I am
    >| trying to go to this page to download a program:
    >|
    >| http://download.endicia.com/setupV4.exe
    >|
    >| and I keep getting a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error no matter what
    >| I do, including clearing cache and cookies and restarting.
    >|
    >| With Netscape 7.1 I have no problem and can download the program
    >| (although I cannot open the download from the webpage, but rather
    >| have to save it to disk first, since Netscape does not know what
    >| application to use). But this still irritates me that I cannot do it
    >| with IE6 even though everyone else I have spoken to can. I want to
    >| fix this IE problem.
    >|
    >| I suspect the problem is with the Google Toolbar pop-up blocker or
    >| my IE security settings (set to Default/Medium). Or maybe Spyware
    >| Blaster or SpyBot? I know, these latter two block only bad stuff...
    >| :)
    >|
    >| Any ideas? Going to bed now, but will check back later.
    >|
    >| Julie

    Well, it's an interesting thing, that is!

    When I clicked on the link in your post, the download attempted to begin
    immediately - the dialog box came right up. But when I typed that address
    into IE, I had the same situation you had. So, I turned off Google's popup
    blocker, and the download dialog did come up like it was supposed to. So,
    obviously, at some level, Google thinks it's a popup. But then, *after* I
    re-enabled the Google popup blocker, it now still starts the download like
    it was supposed to. Go figure <g>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 16, 2004