    registry.

    If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=, Aug 20, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, G.

    > This is what I've tried so far - should cover the usual
    > suspects: -

    All the suspects except:
    WinXP, Win98, Vista, or...?
    Make and model of computer, or of motherboard/chipset if you build it
    yourself?

    What does Disk Management say about that drive? (diskmgmt.msc)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Hi:
    You might also want to delete (or rename) the file named INFCACHE.1 located
    in \Windows\Inf
    Sometimes it gets corrupted and causes problems while detecting usb devices.
    Deletion so far seems harmless in all the posts regarding this file.
    You will have to take ownership of the file because Vista won't let you
    rename or delet it just like that.
    Reboot after the renaming (or deletion) of the file.
    That should fix it.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Hello,
    Do not delete the infcache.1 from a Windows Vista installation unless you
    have installed the QFE.
    The file is not regenerated so device installation will be broken until you
    get the QFE.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 21, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=

    Dshai Guest

    On a whim, try the drive on a different system, this will definitely rule
    out or prove a drive problem. I'm curious as to whether or not you've tried
    any other usb devices (other than the other drive), this will prove or rule
    out the usb itself.

    --
    Dshai

    Life is limited only by those living it...

    Dshai, Aug 21, 2007
  6. Hi Darrell:
    Could you elaborate this subject a little more?
    I have read many posts in the hardware NG regarding the deletion of
    infcache.1 as being the solution to usb detection.
    Thanks.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 21, 2007
  7. Hello Carlos,
    THe infcache file is not regenerated on Windows Vista. So if you delete
    it, for all device installatons you will be prompted for the locations of
    the device drivers.
    You will need this QFE to be able to resolve the issue.
    940199 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device on a
    Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows encountered a problem installing the
    driver software for your device"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;940199

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 21, 2007
  8. Darrell:
    Thanks for your reply and the KB information.
    Your answers are always top quality.
    I have been misled (as I said before) by the numerous posts on the Vista
    hardware NG, suggesting the risky infcache.1 file deletion.
    Las post was on Aug 18th (just 3 days ago) under the subject "Failed load
    (Driver) for External Drive".
    The suggestion posted was qualified as "helpful".
    Go figure.
    Thanks again.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 21, 2007
  9. Sorry, XP 64 SP2
    Self built machine, spec:

    ASUS AN8-32 SLI Deluxe (Nforce chipset)
    Athlon 64 FX-57
    2GB Corsair TwinX RAM
    C:\ = Western Digital Raptor 10K RPM SATA 150GB
    D:\ = Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA 400GB

    Disk management doesn't see the drive at all. Other USB devices (mouse,
    keyboard, flash drive) work fine on the USB. The drive worked fine before, as
    did another drive of the same type that was known working.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=, Aug 21, 2007
  10. I don't have another machine to test on, but the drive worked previously and
    I've tested with another known good drive of the same type.

    Other USB devices work fine (mouse, keyboard, flash drive).

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=, Aug 21, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, G.

    I've never had a USB hard drive, but I hope the extra info will let somebody
    here recognize the symptoms and offer some clues.

    You say that WinXP DID see it, but doesn't now. That brings up the obvious
    question: What happened between then and now?

    RC

    R. C. White, Aug 22, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like your drive has failed. Find some other machine to test it on

    John Barnes, Aug 22, 2007
  13. Good points!

    It would only take a power failure to reset the BIOS to it's defaults, for
    one.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Aug 22, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Thought that's what the battery was for.

    John Barnes, Aug 22, 2007
  15. Here, that seems to be for restoring the defaults - actually, the way the
    'Safe Boot' (or whatever they are called) schemes that I have come across
    all reset the default even after an ordinary system crash and re-boot.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 22, 2007
  16. Hmmm. I DID have a problem whereby my RAM didn't like the timings I fed it
    and I had to reset the CMOS (battery out), but I'm fairly sure the drive has
    worked since then. I have used Daemon Tools to mount virtual CD/DVD drives
    but I have tried unmounting all images and removing Daemon Tools - the USB HD
    is still not recognised. I guess I will have to try running it off the
    internal PATA just to make sure the drive itself isn't fried somehow (hope
    not as there's a lot of data backed up on there - almost the full 250GB)

    Thanks for all your help so far, will let you know how I get on!

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=, Aug 22, 2007
  17. Hmmm...
    Still tempted to do the INFCACHE.1 erasing thing. ;)
    But Darrell has given a sound advice not to do so.
    How about creating a system restore point, deleting the INFCACHE.1 file and
    rebooting?
    If everything goes wrong, there's always the possibility of good ol' system
    restore.
    I once tried it and broke nothing.
    Well... It's your call and I gotta get some good sleep.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 23, 2007
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Personally, I just create a new folder and move the item to it. If there
    are problems I just move it back.

    John Barnes, Aug 23, 2007
  19. John:
    Agreed.
    :)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 23, 2007
  20. Nope the drive is fine - I put it in my PC on an IDE cable and it works fine.
    Looks like something's gone wrong with the external caddy... good thing it
    was only a cheap Safecom box and won't cost much to replace.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2VyYWludHdk?=, Aug 25, 2007