    It seems like the computer doesn't notice that there is a new hard ware
    component at all.

    What could the problem be? I really appreciate any suggestions

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxleHR5bQ==?=, Oct 6, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWxleHR5bQ==?=

    LittleMoo Guest

    Have you downloaded and installed the drivers for your PCMCIA adapter? Or
    installed them off of the drivers CD? If you don't have these drivers
    installed then XP won't recognize your PCMCIA adapter which in turn won't
    allow it to recognize your network card.

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 6, 2006

  3. Hi
    Check HP support page for your computer, it might be that there is more
    device HP specific drivers that need to be installed.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 6, 2006
  4. Thanks for the tips. I checked the HP page, but couldn't find anything. Where
    can I find a driver for the PCMCIA adapter? I am quite a novice, and really
    don't have a clue...
    The strangest thing happend, though. The wireless network card started to
    work, for some reason. And than it turn off just as suddenly, and the
    computer crashed. Obviously that there is something wrong

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxleHR5bQ==?=, Oct 6, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QWxleHR5bQ==?=

    LittleMoo Guest

    If Windows doesn't have these drivers included within the system, then you
    might want to try the CD that came with your computer that says Application
    and Driver Recovery on it, as it should be on there. Though, since your card
    started to work then stopped working you might want to try to get updated
    drivers for your wireless card because maybe the drivers for it are causing
    the problem.

    You might also want to make sure that you run Windows Update also.

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 6, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QWxleHR5bQ==?=

    LittleMoo Guest

    Just to ask, why did you have to replace your hard drive?

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 6, 2006
  7. It crashed. The computer is 5 years already, so it was about time, I guess

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxleHR5bQ==?=, Oct 6, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?QWxleHR5bQ==?=

    LittleMoo Guest

    Another thing to add: sometimes problems with hardware can be resolved by
    uninstalling all drivers and software associated with the problematic
    hardware, and in the case of your wireless card physically remove it from
    the compuer, restart your computer, re-install drivers/software, and then
    insert the wireless card. Your system also might need to restart after you
    re-install the drivers/software for the card.

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 6, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QWxleHR5bQ==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    There are at least four versions of the XE3, and there are drivers for most
    OS that can be reach from this page, I didn't however see anything for a
    PCMCIA driver. You might try however updating the video drivers if you
    haven't.

    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look...-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=Omnibook XE3

    David Hettel

    David Hettel, Oct 7, 2006