    copied its contents temporarily to a backup location).

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I'm trying to sort out a problem with my Favorites folder, which is on
    > my 'data partition' at D:\Favorites.
    >
    > When I go to this key with regedit

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
    er\Favorites

    > below it is a list of folders that shouldn't be present. But when I
    > select one and try to delete it, I get
    > "Cannot delete CD-R or RW: Error while deleting key."
    >
    > Nor can I delete the individual entries on the right, all of which are
    > like this:
    > "(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    >
    > Can anyone help me fix this please?
    >
    > Basically, I'd like to clear out the entire Favorites folder (having
    > copied its contents temporarily to a backup location).

    Right click the fucking folder you moron, and set permissions.

    Better still, search for ntuser.dat and delete that fucker, then
    reboot. It works every time.

    Pokeahornetsnest, Sep 20, 2004

  3. Terry Pinnell

    °Mike° Guest

    Use regedt32 instead of regedit, and right click on
    the entries for the 'Permissions" dialog -- make
    sure you are logged on as administrator.

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:00:10 +0100, in
    <>
    Terry Pinnell scrawled:

    >I'm trying to sort out a problem with my Favorites folder, which is on
    >my 'data partition' at D:\Favorites.
    >
    >When I go to this key with regedit
    >
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites
    >
    >below it is a list of folders that shouldn't be present. But when I
    >select one and try to delete it, I get
    >"Cannot delete CD-R or RW: Error while deleting key."
    >
    >Nor can I delete the individual entries on the right, all of which are
    >like this:
    >"(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    >
    >Can anyone help me fix this please?
    >
    >Basically, I'd like to clear out the entire Favorites folder (having
    >copied its contents temporarily to a backup location).

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 20, 2004
  4. °Mike° <> wrote:

    >Use regedt32 instead of regedit, and right click on
    >the entries for the 'Permissions" dialog -- make
    >sure you are logged on as administrator.

    Thank. What's the difference? According to Help>About in the two
    respective programs, they are identical:

    regedt32
    --------
    Microsoft Registry Editor
    Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
    Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation

    regedit
    -------
    Microsoft Registry Editor
    Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
    Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation

    I was logged in as Administrator (I am sole user), but still couldn't
    set permissions. But I then tried starting in Safe Mode and happily
    was able to do so.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Sep 20, 2004
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Karim Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:07:06 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > °Mike° <> wrote:
    >
    >>Use regedt32 instead of regedit, and right click on
    >>the entries for the 'Permissions" dialog -- make
    >>sure you are logged on as administrator.

    > Thank. What's the difference? According to Help>About in the two
    > respective programs, they are identical:
    >
    > regedt32
    > --------
    > Microsoft Registry Editor
    > Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
    > Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation
    >
    > regedit
    > -------
    > Microsoft Registry Editor
    > Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
    > Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation
    >
    > I was logged in as Administrator (I am sole user), but still couldn't
    > set permissions. But I then tried starting in Safe Mode and happily
    > was able to do so.

    regedt32 can set and read registry nodes permissions while regedit can't
    but if you're already logged in as an admin you should be able to delete
    registry entries.

    Note that not every registry entry can be deleted, specially the ones that
    Windows depends for staying up and running.

    Karim
    --
    http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Innovative Web Hosting since 1998
    Spam and Virus protected email