cannot delete Lavasoft Ad-Aware

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JimS., Jul 10, 2005.

  1. JimS.

    JimS. Guest

    Sorry if this has been asked already, I read backwards and didn't see anyone
    else having this problem....well, at least not in the last week or two....

    I have the latest Lavasoft Ad-Aware spyware detection program (AdAware
    Personal SE build 1.06r1). I cannot "check for updates". As soon as I do,
    my computer crashes, possibly due to some interaction with my Intel
    ProWireless card. I also have AVG, Spybot, and the Microsoft Anti-spyware
    program, so I'm inclined to think I can live without it. I want to
    un-install.

    It won't un-install from the control panel ("invalid INSTALL.LOG file") ,
    and from the Lavasoft folder the "Uninstall" incon when clicked also says
    "invalid INSTALL.LOG file".

    I even tried upgrading the version where their installer asks if you want to
    un-install previous editions, and it doesn't work either.
    How do I get rid of it?

    Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

    Jim
    Seattle, WA, USA
    JimS., Jul 10, 2005

  2. JimS.

    Max Wachtel Guest

    JimS. wrote:
    > Sorry if this has been asked already, I read backwards and didn't see anyone
    > else having this problem....well, at least not in the last week or two....
    >
    > I have the latest Lavasoft Ad-Aware spyware detection program (AdAware
    > Personal SE build 1.06r1). I cannot "check for updates". As soon as I do,
    > my computer crashes, possibly due to some interaction with my Intel
    > ProWireless card. I also have AVG, Spybot, and the Microsoft Anti-spyware
    > program, so I'm inclined to think I can live without it. I want to
    > un-install.
    >
    > It won't un-install from the control panel ("invalid INSTALL.LOG file") ,
    > and from the Lavasoft folder the "Uninstall" incon when clicked also says
    > "invalid INSTALL.LOG file".
    >
    > I even tried upgrading the version where their installer asks if you want to
    > un-install previous editions, and it doesn't work either.
    > How do I get rid of it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
    >
    > Jim
    > Seattle, WA, USA

    You should get rid of MSAS and try to fix AdAware.
    -mx
    Registered Linux User #393236
    Max Wachtel, Jul 10, 2005

  3. JimS.

    JimS. Guest

    "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message
    > JimS. wrote:
    >> Sorry if this has been asked already, I read backwards and didn't see
    >> anyone else having this problem....well, at least not in the last week or
    >> two....
    >>
    >> I have the latest Lavasoft Ad-Aware spyware detection program (AdAware
    >> Personal SE build 1.06r1). I cannot "check for updates". As soon as I
    >> do, my computer crashes, possibly due to some interaction with my Intel
    >> ProWireless card. I also have AVG, Spybot, and the Microsoft
    >> Anti-spyware program, so I'm inclined to think I can live without it. I
    >> want to un-install.
    >>
    >> It won't un-install from the control panel ("invalid INSTALL.LOG file") ,
    >> and from the Lavasoft folder the "Uninstall" incon when clicked also says
    >> "invalid INSTALL.LOG file".
    >>
    >> I even tried upgrading the version where their installer asks if you want
    >> to un-install previous editions, and it doesn't work either.
    >> How do I get rid of it?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
    >>
    >> Jim
    >> Seattle, WA, USA

    > You should get rid of MSAS and try to fix AdAware.
    > -mx
    > --

    OK. How do you fix the AdAware?
    JimS., Jul 10, 2005
  4. JimS.

    JANA Guest

    If your computer is working with Win 98, you should be using Adaware in the
    safe mode.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 10, 2005
  5. JimS.

    Max Wachtel Guest

    JimS. wrote:
    > "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>JimS. wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sorry if this has been asked already, I read backwards and didn't see
    >>>anyone else having this problem....well, at least not in the last week or
    >>>two....
    >>>
    >>>I have the latest Lavasoft Ad-Aware spyware detection program (AdAware
    >>>Personal SE build 1.06r1). I cannot "check for updates". As soon as I
    >>>do, my computer crashes, possibly due to some interaction with my Intel
    >>>ProWireless card. I also have AVG, Spybot, and the Microsoft
    >>>Anti-spyware program, so I'm inclined to think I can live without it. I
    >>>want to un-install.
    >>>
    >>>It won't un-install from the control panel ("invalid INSTALL.LOG file") ,
    >>>and from the Lavasoft folder the "Uninstall" incon when clicked also says
    >>>"invalid INSTALL.LOG file".
    >>>
    >>>I even tried upgrading the version where their installer asks if you want
    >>>to un-install previous editions, and it doesn't work either.
    >>>How do I get rid of it?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
    >>>
    >>>Jim
    >>>Seattle, WA, USA

    >>You should get rid of MSAS and try to fix AdAware.
    >>-mx
    >>--

    > OK. How do you fix the AdAware?

    Do a cleanup of your system. Start by uninstalling MSAS. Then download
    CrapCleaner,RegCleaner4.3,RegSeeker,I have links on my site.
    http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/tools.html
    Using Windows Explorer go into program files and delete lavasoft and MS
    antispyware folders. Then install CrapCleaner and run it,then
    RegCleaner. Use RegSeeker last. CrapCleaner and RegSeeker both have
    backup settings-enable them just in case. You should turn off any
    AV,spyware scanners before installing or uninstalling any programs.
    -max
    Registered Linux User #393236
    Max Wachtel, Jul 10, 2005
  6. JimS.

    > JimS. wrote:
    >> "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message

    >>>You should get rid of MSAS and try to fix AdAware.
    >>>-mx
    >>>--

    >> OK. How do you fix the AdAware?
    >>

    > Do a cleanup of your system. Start by uninstalling MSAS. Then download
    > CrapCleaner,RegCleaner4.3,RegSeeker,I have links on my site.
    > http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/tools.html
    > Using Windows Explorer go into program files and delete lavasoft and MS
    > antispyware folders. Then install CrapCleaner and run it,then RegCleaner.
    > Use RegSeeker last. CrapCleaner and RegSeeker both have backup
    > settings-enable them just in case. You should turn off any AV,spyware
    > scanners before installing or uninstalling any programs.
    > -max

    OK, I will try them.
    What does the Microsoft program have to do with any of this?
    JimS., Jul 10, 2005
  7. JimS.

    Max Wachtel Guest

    JimS. wrote:
    > "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>JimS. wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message

    >>>OK. How do you fix the AdAware?
    >>>

    >>Do a cleanup of your system. Start by uninstalling MSAS. Then download
    >>CrapCleaner,RegCleaner4.3,RegSeeker,I have links on my site.
    >>http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/tools.html
    >>Using Windows Explorer go into program files and delete lavasoft and MS
    >>antispyware folders. Then install CrapCleaner and run it,then RegCleaner.
    >>Use RegSeeker last. CrapCleaner and RegSeeker both have backup
    >>settings-enable them just in case. You should turn off any AV,spyware
    >>scanners before installing or uninstalling any programs.
    >>-max

    > OK, I will try them.
    > What does the Microsoft program have to do with any of this?

    MS has changed it def files so that some spyware is not tagged as such
    anymore(Gator is one). Since they did that, I no longer have a link to
    MSAS on my pages. If AntiSpyware won't protect you-why use it?
    -max
    Registered Linux User #393236
    Max Wachtel, Jul 10, 2005
  8. JimS.

    Guest

    Slashdot has an article on this http://tinyurl.com/8p6cp
    --
    , Jul 10, 2005
  9. JimS.

    Ron Martell Guest

    "JimS." <> wrote:

    >OK, I will try them.
    >What does the Microsoft program have to do with any of this?

    Most likely it has absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, Jul 10, 2005
  10. JimS.

    Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >|>MS has changed it def files so that some spyware is not tagged as such
    >|>anymore(Gator is one). Since they did that, I no longer have a link to
    >|>MSAS on my pages. If AntiSpyware won't protect you-why use it?

    It is still detecting and reporting all of the Claria etc. items.

    However the recommended action is to "ignore" these items, which in my
    opinion, and that of many others, is ludicrous. However it is a
    piece of cake to click on these items and change the action to Delete
    or Quarantine.

    The detection performance of MSAS still outdoes that of any other
    single program, according to the tests that I have seen. Combinations
    of 2 or 3 programs (e.g. AdAware + Spybot) can do better, but not by
    much.

    Ron Martell, Jul 10, 2005
  11. JimS.

    Ron Martell Guest

    "JimS." <> wrote:

    >Sorry if this has been asked already, I read backwards and didn't see anyone
    >else having this problem....well, at least not in the last week or two....
    >
    >I have the latest Lavasoft Ad-Aware spyware detection program (AdAware
    >Personal SE build 1.06r1). I cannot "check for updates". As soon as I do,
    >my computer crashes, possibly due to some interaction with my Intel
    >ProWireless card. I also have AVG, Spybot, and the Microsoft Anti-spyware
    >program, so I'm inclined to think I can live without it. I want to
    >un-install.
    >
    >It won't un-install from the control panel ("invalid INSTALL.LOG file") ,
    >and from the Lavasoft folder the "Uninstall" incon when clicked also says
    >"invalid INSTALL.LOG file".
    >
    >I even tried upgrading the version where their installer asks if you want to
    >un-install previous editions, and it doesn't work either.
    >How do I get rid of it?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
    >
    >Jim
    >Seattle, WA, USA

    Download a complete new copy of AdAware from the Lavasoft web site and
    install it. Make certain that it installs to the same folder as your
    existing AdAware. You should then be able to uninstall it.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Jul 10, 2005
  12. JimS.

    >>>Do a cleanup of your system. Start by uninstalling MSAS. Then download
    >>>CrapCleaner,RegCleaner4.3,RegSeeker,I have links on my site.
    >>>http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/tools.html
    >>>Using Windows Explorer go into program files and delete lavasoft and MS
    >>>antispyware folders. Then install CrapCleaner and run it,then RegCleaner.
    >>>Use RegSeeker last. CrapCleaner and RegSeeker both have backup
    >>>settings-enable them just in case. You should turn off any AV,spyware
    >>>scanners before installing or uninstalling any programs.
    >>>-max

    Thanks...I did all this and was able to cleanly get the AdAware off my
    system.
    Not sure I'll put it back, my AVG and SpyBot do fine between the two.
    One more question-- when I run the RegSeeker, do I just delete all the
    detected items? I assume it's concluding they're not needed.
    I did enable the backup.

    thanks

    JimS.
    JimS., Jul 10, 2005
  13. JimS.

    Max Wachtel Guest

    JimS. wrote:
    > "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks...I did all this and was able to cleanly get the AdAware off my
    > system.
    > Not sure I'll put it back, my AVG and SpyBot do fine between the two.
    > One more question-- when I run the RegSeeker, do I just delete all the
    > detected items? I assume it's concluding they're not needed.
    > I did enable the backup.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > JimS.

    I use RegSeeker and have never had an issue deleteing anything it found.
    I always let it create a backup but never had to use one. There are also
    some useful settings in the tweak portion. CrapCleaner also has some
    setting in the options tab. Spybot has some useful tools too. I have
    written some basic instructions on how to keep your system clean.
    http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
    -max
    Registered Linux User #393236
    Max Wachtel, Jul 10, 2005