    Has anyone run into this problem? Does anyone have any ideas of how
    to force a defrag?

    Inquirer

    inquirer, Jan 31, 2004

  2. inquirer

    Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    inquirer <> opined:
    > I'm running Windows ME and have Norton Systems Utilities. Four times
    > I have tried to defrag because the computer is running sluggish. I've
    > tried Norton three times and the Windows Defrag program once. Nothing
    > is happening. I left the Windows Defrag program run all night to allow
    > it all the time it could need. In the morning it hadn't done a thing.
    > I optimized the registry using Norton Utilities. When that finished
    > the computer was rebooted and it took me back to Norton Speed Disk
    > where it hung again giving the message to wait.
    > Has anyone run into this problem? Does anyone have any ideas of how
    > to force a defrag?
    >
    > Inquirer

    If in doubt run computer in "Safe Mode" then do the de-frag
    Yddap

    Yddap, Jan 31, 2004

  3. inquirer

    Brady Guest

    You may not have enough available disk space to defrag. Delete all temp
    files and clear the internet cache for your browsers then try again.

    Brady

    Brady, Jan 31, 2004
  4. inquirer

    Rud Guest

    "inquirer" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running Windows ME and have Norton Systems Utilities. Four times
    > I have tried to defrag because the computer is running sluggish. I've
    > tried Norton three times and the Windows Defrag program once. Nothing
    > is happening. I left the Windows Defrag program run all night to allow
    > it all the time it could need. In the morning it hadn't done a thing.
    > I optimized the registry using Norton Utilities. When that finished
    > the computer was rebooted and it took me back to Norton Speed Disk
    > where it hung again giving the message to wait.
    > Has anyone run into this problem? Does anyone have any ideas of how
    > to force a defrag?

    Always run defrag and scan disk in safe mode. Hold down F8 when booting
    windows.

    Rud, Jan 31, 2004
  5. inquirer

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot to DOS from a Windows 98 boot floppy, and
    see if you can run a full scandisk (with surface test)
    from there. This should tell you if there is a problem
    with the drive, or not. If not, boot to Safe Mode
    and run scandisk/defrag from there. See my signature.

    On 31 Jan 2004 06:56:18 -0800, in
    <>
    inquirer scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 31, 2004
  6. inquirer

    Beans Guest

    I've been sucessful in using End It All, a free program I got via a Google
    search a while back. It shuts down all the activity in the backgroud that
    usually screws up a defrag. I think it is still out there for the taking.
    Good luck.

    Beans, Feb 1, 2004