    I am looking at buying a wireless repeater.
    Anyone any suggestions.
    Alec
    Paradigm, Apr 29, 2006

  2. Paradigm

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

    Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific Environment. In most
    cases, there is No Magic Hardware that can solve Distance issues.

    Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the
    means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you environment
    best.

    Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

    Wirelessly Bridging Home/SOHO Network - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    I Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

    The most common solution used in a Professional Environment involves use of
    multiple units (Access Point) connected with wire to the Network. Or WDS for
    WDS to work well you should use the same manfacturer Hardware,
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 30, 2006

  3. Paradigm

    Paradigm Guest

    Thanks for your help. I have 2 Centrino laptops that have the problem
    connecting. I have a third laptop that uses a PCMCIA wireless card and this
    laptop can connect with out a problem. Also, prior to the wireless router I
    used a wireless access point and again I did not have a problem with the
    Centrino laptops. My problem started with the D-Link wireless router and I
    was thinking that maybe it was the problem. Maybe there is some mismatch in
    the signal frequency or something. I have tried it with 3 different
    antennae.
    Is there a better wireless router than I can try? I work from home so money
    is not the real issue but I need to get it working. I am thinking of going
    back to the wireless access point.
    Alec

    Paradigm, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Paradigm

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Unless something is wrong with the specific unit that you are using, the
    D-Link should work well at such a distance. As far as distance is concerned
    there is No difference between a Wireless Router and an Access Point, they
    are using both the same type of Radios.

    I do not know if it would solve the problem, however, the BuffaloTech. High
    Power 802.11g is probably your best bet using Entry Level Hardware.

    http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=115&categoryid=29

    The next level of hardware would 3 to 4 times more expensive by using Proxim
    802.11g Wireless hardware.
    http://shop.wirelessguys.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.61/it.A/id.1531/.f

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 30, 2006