    running windows XP. any suggestions?
    --
    Janice
    Janice, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Janice

    Lem Guest

    Janice wrote:
    > my daughter has a dell laptop with a wireless card installed. when she
    > brings it to my house, she can connect to my internet without a problem..
    > when she goes somewhere offering free internet, she cannot connect. in the
    > system tray, it says it is connected but the pages won't load. she is
    > running windows XP. any suggestions?

    Is this more than one "somewhere"? Or is it a network *named* "free
    internet"?

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Feb 24, 2010

  3. Janice

    Janice Guest

    -- she has tried it at a friends house (who uses the same router and
    provider that i use) and at starbucks.
    Janice

    Janice, Feb 24, 2010
  4. Hi
    Depending on the utility that is used for your Wireless, if your home
    Wireless is secured it might not connect automatically to open unsecured
    Wireless.
    Make sure that the Windows Wireless utility (WZC) is working correctly, and
    that your daughter know how to use it to connect to other Networks.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 24, 2010
  5. Janice