    network card of my section and when I click it, it reads connected, but I
    still can't surf. The wifi light stay amber and never goes to green.

    Thanks in advance.

    lebeau32, Jul 25, 2004

  2. lebeau32

    lebeau32 Guest

    Re: cannot connect my ipaq 5555 to my network

    It's actually the 5555, sorry about the typo
    "lebeau32" <> wrote in message
    > I have the Microsoft mn700 wireless router, but can't connect my pocket pc
    > to it. I can surf using other people in the neighborhood, but can't get

    it

    lebeau32, Jul 25, 2004

  3. Is your MN-700 set for mixed b/g mode or is it set to g only
    performance mode? Is WEP correct?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jul 25, 2004
  4. lebeau32

    Sooner Al Guest

    Re: cannot connect my ipaq 5555 to my network

    Look at this document from HP to start with. It explains quite a lot when about setting up and using
    your devices 802.11b functionality...

    http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00157709/c00157709.pdf

    Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from your router or you need to manually configure your 5555
    for the proper SSID. I recommend broadcasting the SSID since there is no good reason to not
    broadcast...

    Make sure the WEP key on the 5555 matches the router. Turn off encryption on both the router and the
    5555 temporarily to troubleshoot...

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_encrypt.htm
    http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html

    Use a HEX key on the 5555 versus a pass phrase or ASCII string.

    Have you installed the latest ROM, firmware and drivers for your 5555? Download them from...

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5644.html

    NOTE the order of installation and what softpaq goes with another softpaq, ie. if your using WEP or
    WPA for example. READ the notes carefully before installing...

    Download and install two FREE network troubleshooting tools.

    http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html
    http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html

    Use those to see if...

    a. You get a valid IP from your access point/router, ie. not a 169.X.X.X address
    b. You can ping other network nodes like desktops, etc.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Jul 25, 2004
  5. lebeau32

    lebeau32 Guest

    It's set or mixed b/g. I really appreciate the help.

    lebeau32, Jul 25, 2004
  6. are you using the same HEX wep key on both the PPC and the MN700?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jul 25, 2004
  7. lebeau32

    lebeau32 Guest

    Wow how can I find that out, this is way above me. Why does my ipaq connect
    to other peoples network easily, but cause me such a problem.

    lebeau32, Jul 25, 2004
  8. Possibly because these other people have open networks without WEP and
    you have a secure and safe network. Or you are trying to use WPA on
    the MN-700 which the PPC's don't support as far as I know.

    What security method are you using on the MN-700? You can use the
    admin tool (BNU) or log in with a web browser to 192.168.2.1 to find
    this out.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jul 25, 2004
  9. lebeau32

    lebeau32 Guest

    I think u are asking about encryption, but not sure, if so, I'm using
    128-ep (strong). I also have a firewall on both my router and computer. I
    disabled it during the installed, but have since enabled it again.

    I think that is what you we asking for...

    BTW, there is a hex enabled on the router, but I'm pretty sure there is not
    one active on my 5555.

    lebeau32, Jul 26, 2004
  10. yes, WEP=encryption and you will need to enter the same 128 bit
    encrypted WEP key (in HEX) on your IPAQ.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jul 26, 2004