Cannot connect computer to home network through switch

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ski11, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Ski11

    Ski11 Guest

    I have a home network running through a Linsys router. I have 2
    computers that are connected to the network via a switch. Each computer
    connects to the switch and the switch connects directly to the router
    via 1 cable.

    On Monday, 1 of the 2 computers network connection stopped and does not
    work now. One computer is able to see the network thru the switch and
    access the internet. The 2nd computer cannot access the network or the
    internet. If I take the cable that comes from the router and into the
    swtich and instead connect it directly to the computer that lost its
    network connection, the computer network access is restored.

    I do not understand why the computer network connection will work if
    connected directly to the router but does not work if connected via the
    swtich. The 2nd computer works either way - through the switch or
    directly to the router.

    I have tried ipconfig /release and /renew. When I renew, I get the
    following error -
    "unable to connect to your DHCP server" The default gateway will not
    populate with any IP address.

    Please help as I don't undstand why the computer will work when
    connected directly to the router but not thru the switch, which is
    connected to the router.

    Thanks

    Ski11, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Ski11

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Ski11" <> wrote in message
    >I have a home network running through a Linsys router. I have 2
    > computers that are connected to the network via a switch. Each computer
    > connects to the switch and the switch connects directly to the router
    > via 1 cable.
    >
    > On Monday, 1 of the 2 computers network connection stopped and does not
    > work now. One computer is able to see the network thru the switch and
    > access the internet. The 2nd computer cannot access the network or the
    > internet. If I take the cable that comes from the router and into the
    > swtich and instead connect it directly to the computer that lost its
    > network connection, the computer network access is restored.

    You only have two computers. So what's the switch you don't need in this
    situation.

    > I do not understand why the computer network connection will work if
    > connected directly to the router but does not work if connected via the
    > swtich. The 2nd computer works either way - through the switch or
    > directly to the router.
    >
    > I have tried ipconfig /release and /renew. When I renew, I get the
    > following error -
    > "unable to connect to your DHCP server" The default gateway will not
    > populate with any IP address.
    >
    > Please help as I don't undstand why the computer will work when
    > connected directly to the router but not thru the switch, which is
    > connected to the router.

    You can remove the standalone switch out of the network. Why beat yourself
    up about it? Unless you're planning to extend the network with more machines
    than two that you already have connected, then you don't need it.. The
    switch is used to extend the network when all LAN ports on the router are
    occupied by either a computer, standalone hub or switch. You can plug more
    hubs and switches into the hub or switch connected to a LAN port on the
    router and daisy chain them.

    You got open LAN ports on the router and the router has built-in switch
    technology and is using it even in router mode.The router is a *switch* and
    can be configured to be just a switch when the DHCP server on the router is
    disabled.

    If you don't understand what a standalone switch is about or a router that
    has switch technology built into it, then here is a link.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Ski11

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-24, Ski11 <> wrote:

    snip

    > Please help as I don't undstand why the computer will work when
    > connected directly to the router but not thru the switch, which is
    > connected to the router.
    >
    > Thanks

    This may be a long shot or even a stab in the dark, but could the 'switch'
    or the connection from the 'swich' to the 'router', be faulty?

    Do you really need the switch, as you have a router anyway?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Ski11

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Ski11 wrote:

    > I have a home network running through a Linsys router. I have 2
    > computers that are connected to the network via a switch. Each computer
    > connects to the switch and the switch connects directly to the router
    > via 1 cable.
    >
    > On Monday, 1 of the 2 computers network connection stopped and does not
    > work now. One computer is able to see the network thru the switch and
    > access the internet. The 2nd computer cannot access the network or the
    > internet. If I take the cable that comes from the router and into the
    > swtich and instead connect it directly to the computer that lost its
    > network connection, the computer network access is restored.
    >
    > I do not understand why the computer network connection will work if
    > connected directly to the router but does not work if connected via the
    > swtich. The 2nd computer works either way - through the switch or
    > directly to the router.
    >
    > I have tried ipconfig /release and /renew. When I renew, I get the
    > following error -
    > "unable to connect to your DHCP server" The default gateway will not
    > populate with any IP address.
    >
    > Please help as I don't undstand why the computer will work when
    > connected directly to the router but not thru the switch, which is
    > connected to the router.
    >
    > Thanks

    Give each computer a fixed IP address and make each 'ping' each other
    and 'ping' the router.

    Make sure the router (gateway) and the IP addresses are in the same subnet.
    This sounds like the mistake that prevents the "connect to the dhcp server".

    make sure you have only 1 DHCP server (the router).

    can you remove the switch or is that serving as a hub?

    Rick Merrill, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Ski11

    John Holmes Guest

    Rick Merrill blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Ski11 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a home network running through a Linsys router. I have 2
    >> computers that are connected to the network via a switch. Each
    >> computer connects to the switch and the switch connects directly to
    >> the router via 1 cable.
    >>
    >> On Monday, 1 of the 2 computers network connection stopped and does
    >> not work now. One computer is able to see the network thru the switch
    >> and access the internet. The 2nd computer cannot access the network
    >> or the internet. If I take the cable that comes from the router and
    >> into the swtich and instead connect it directly to the computer that
    >> lost its network connection, the computer network access is restored.
    >>
    >> I do not understand why the computer network connection will work if
    >> connected directly to the router but does not work if connected via
    >> the swtich. The 2nd computer works either way - through the switch or
    >> directly to the router.
    >>
    >> I have tried ipconfig /release and /renew. When I renew, I get the
    >> following error -
    >> "unable to connect to your DHCP server" The default gateway will not
    >> populate with any IP address.
    >>
    >> Please help as I don't undstand why the computer will work when
    >> connected directly to the router but not thru the switch, which is
    >> connected to the router.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Give each computer a fixed IP address

    <snip>

    > make sure you have only 1 DHCP server (the router).

    You fucking retarded idiot.

    --
    Your mother was a gross moron who talked incessantly about blancmange in
    a prison cell.

    John Holmes, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Ski11

    why? Guest

    On 24 Mar 2006 09:42:51 -0800, Ski11 wrote:

    There are a few things you haven't mentioned or mayne tried :)

    >I have a home network running through a Linsys router. I have 2

    You mean Linsys, instead of Linksys? In any case no model information is
    given. Some routers may show you the current connections on a status
    page.

    >computers that are connected to the network via a switch. Each computer
    >connects to the switch and the switch connects directly to the router
    >via 1 cable.

    Why? Is it a single LAN port router, so you need a switch , also no
    model / brand given.

    >On Monday, 1 of the 2 computers network connection stopped and does not
    >work now. One computer is able to see the network thru the switch and
    >access the internet. The 2nd computer cannot access the network or the
    >internet. If I take the cable that comes from the router and into the

    What about the cable from the switch / working PC into the back of the
    2nd non-working one?

    >swtich and instead connect it directly to the computer that lost its
    >network connection, the computer network access is restored.

    Swapping ports on the switch 1st PC <-> 2nd PC, or even another port.

    Faulty cable from the 2nd PC to the switch.

    >I do not understand why the computer network connection will work if
    >connected directly to the router but does not work if connected via the
    >swtich. The 2nd computer works either way - through the switch or

    You are using a different cable, going by your description.

    >directly to the router.
    >
    >I have tried ipconfig /release and /renew. When I renew, I get the
    >following error -
    >"unable to connect to your DHCP server" The default gateway will not
    >populate with any IP address.

    The 2nd half of that message seems unusual.

    Instead of using DHCP, set the address gateway manually. If the router
    is 192.168.0.1 and the 1st PC is 192.168.0.2 , use 192.168.0.100 for the
    2nd PC with the same gateway, DNS settings as the 1st PC.

    >Please help as I don't undstand why the computer will work when
    >connected directly to the router but not thru the switch, which is
    >connected to the router.

    Using the setup you started with, router - switch - 2PCs. Do you get any
    of the LEDs on the switch port to the PC NIC that doesn't work, lit?

    Have you rebooted the router? Maybe there is a problem with it's DHCP?

    >Thanks

    Me

    why?, Mar 24, 2006
  7. Ski11

    Ski11 Guest

    Rick - all my Router open plugs are taken, which is why I have 2 of the
    computers running off of 1 Router plug via a hub. One of the computers
    works fine going thru the hub to the router. The other computer does
    not work going thru the hub to the router but works when I just connect
    the plug directly from the router (by passing the hub).

    I have tried the following:
    1. Switched the cables - no luck
    2. Tried other plugs on the hub - no luck
    3. Tried only 1 computer at a time going thru the hub to the router -
    no luck

    The hub must be working as the 1 computer works using it. How do I
    check the subnet?

    Thanks for your help!

    Ski11, Mar 24, 2006
  8. Ski11

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Ski11" <> wrote in message
    > Rick - all my Router open plugs are taken, which is why I have 2 of the
    > computers running off of 1 Router plug via a hub. One of the computers
    > works fine going thru the hub to the router. The other computer does
    > not work going thru the hub to the router but works when I just connect
    > the plug directly from the router (by passing the hub).
    >
    > I have tried the following:
    > 1. Switched the cables - no luck
    > 2. Tried other plugs on the hub - no luck
    > 3. Tried only 1 computer at a time going thru the hub to the router -
    > no luck
    >
    > The hub must be working as the 1 computer works using it. How do I
    > check the subnet?

    Maybe, it's the NIC in the computer that having the problem with the hub.
    Have you tried swapping the NIC with another NIC and see if the problem
    follows?

    What is the hub's Mbps 10 or 100?

    What's the NIC's Mbps 10/100 *switchable* or 10 Mbps only or 100 Mbps only?

    The router's LAN port switch is *a smart switch* and will switch to the
    fastest Mbps possible or that works.That's what a standalone switch will do
    or a router with *switch* technology will do as opposed to a dumb hub.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 24, 2006
  9. Ski11

    why? Guest

    On 24 Mar 2006 13:09:52 -0800, Ski11 wrote:

    >Rick - all my Router open plugs are taken, which is why I have 2 of the
    >computers running off of 1 Router plug via a hub. One of the computers

    It's a hub now? So is it a switch or a repeater.

    >works fine going thru the hub to the router. The other computer does
    >not work going thru the hub to the router but works when I just connect
    >the plug directly from the router (by passing the hub).

    What speed / duplex settings? Check for differences between the working
    / non working PC, although it sounds like it's set to auto. It's still
    worth checking and perhaps setting the values manually.

    If you have a spare NIC handy try it.

    A hub (usually misnamed and misused , is a collection of ports) where
    the signal repeats to all ports.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub
    , a switch is smart
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_switch
    in that it auto detects the speed and duplex, and directs traffic based
    on what's connected to each port.

    If the NIC on the PC plays nice, auto dectect speed and duplex usually
    works. A repeater needs all ports to run at the same speed usually
    10Mbps/half duplex. This is not counting dual speed 'hubs' repeaters.

    >I have tried the following:
    >1. Switched the cables - no luck

    Link LED lit up?

    Other LEDs didn't?

    >2. Tried other plugs on the hub - no luck

    That's with the problem PC, not working on any port, but others are ok.

    >3. Tried only 1 computer at a time going thru the hub to the router -
    >no luck
    >
    >The hub must be working as the 1 computer works using it. How do I
    >check the subnet?

    What?

    If each PC gets it's DHCP settings from the router, you take a note of
    the values from ipconfig/all when the problem PC is connected to the
    router. You then move it back to the hub and instead of DHCP you
    manually set addresses and enter the appropriate values.

    >Thanks for your help!

    Me

    why?, Mar 25, 2006