Cannot browse My Network Places with WPA-PSK

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Marek Gold, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. Marek Gold

    Marek Gold Guest

    Please excuse this extra post but I felt the other post may have been a bit
    confusing.

    I have the following scenario.

    D-Link DI-624 Router. with 4 port switch.

    Laptop 1:. D-Link DWL-G650 Wireless Card.
    Laptop 2: Intel ProSet/Wireless 2915ABG built inl Wireless Card

    I also have another system (Laptop 3) wired to the Network

    All systems running WinXP Pro SP 2 with all latest updates.

    When I disable all security on the router and all wireless Laptops the whole
    network works fine. Full Internet access and LAN access all round.

    However when I set up security on the router and Laptops as

    WPA-PSK problems start to arise with Laptop 2.

    When the settings are as above then Laptop 1 can see Laptop 1 and Laptop 2
    and Laptop 3 in My Network Places. However when Laptop 1 tries to access
    Laptop 2 it gets the message that Laptop 2 is not available etc....

    Laptop 2 only sees itself in My Network Places and therefore cannot access
    shared resources on Laptop 2 or Laptop 3. It can however access Laptop 1 and
    Laptop 3 by UNC names such as \\Laptop 1\data etc.It can also access shares
    on Laptop 1 and 3 via IP address e.g. \\192.168.0.x\data

    Both wireless Laptops still have full Internet access with WPA-PSK TKIP

    Laptop 3, wired to the Network has no issues between it and Laptop 1 when
    WPA-PSK is enabled on both wireless Laptops.. However Laptop 2 has the same
    issues with Laptop 3 as it does with Laptop 1.

    I have tried everything under the sun to sort this out but no avail. I need
    to get it sorted since Laptop 3 is my backup machine and does scheduled
    backups of the data on Laptop 1 and 2 and so must be able to access network
    shares on Laptop 2.

    I am at loss to find the cause of the problem. I don't know it it's a OS
    issue, a hardware issue between Intel Proset/wireless card and D-Link DI-624
    router or what???????

    And I really do not want to run an unsecured wireless network.

    Suggestions greatly appreciated.

    Marek Gold
    Marek Gold, Sep 30, 2005

  2. Marek Gold

    rwig

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    browse network problem

    I'm having the same issue? Have you resolved anything yet?
    rwig, Sep 20, 2006